What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now?
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,164
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Considering that Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, MediEvil, Resident Evil, and other old games from 15-20 years ago have all seen remakes over the past few years, what games from this generation and the previous one do you think will be remade in about 20 years from now, if any?

I've been trying to come up with at least one game that could get a remake, but it's hard because a lot of games being remade currently are because the hardware couldn't do what it can now, and simply remastering the visuals alone wouldn't do much because games in the 90's aren't detailed enough to begin with (especially in polygons) to simply slap on some higher resolution textures and stuff like your typical remaster gets. Hmm
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,164 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
Considering that Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, MediEvil, Resident Evil, and other old games from 15-20 years ago have all seen remakes over the past few years, what games from this generation and the previous one do you think will be remade in about 20 years from now, if any?

I've been trying to come up with at least one game that could get a remake, but it's hard because a lot of games being remade currently are because the hardware couldn't do what it can now, and simply remastering the visuals alone wouldn't do much because games in the 90's aren't detailed enough to begin with (especially in polygons) to simply slap on some higher resolution textures and stuff like your typical remaster gets. Hmm
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268
Mega Man Bioshock 
Probably games that did very well, like Mario Odyssey, and LOZ: Breath of the Weave Snatcher Wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter games, if not continued, make some kind of come back in some way.

Some of my posts are satire, so don't take me too seriously! : P
Hotspot Offline
Does this avatar make me look fat?
Currently Playing
Overwatch, Legend of Zorldo: Breath of the Winds
Favourite Platform(s)
PS2
XP: 268 Mega Man Bioshock 
Probably games that did very well, like Mario Odyssey, and LOZ: Breath of the Weave Snatcher Wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter games, if not continued, make some kind of come back in some way.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760
Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Some of the older Elder Scrolls games seem like good candidates. Given how phenomenally successful Skyrim has been phenomenally popular, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw re-imaginings of Morrowind and Oblivion at some point in the 2020s. (Yes, I know they both have mods using the Skyrim engine, but I expect Bethesda will want to cash in on that Tongue )

Also, what about Minecraft? It depends very much on whether or not it's still selling well in 15-20 years' time: if it is, then there will be no need to re-make it; however, if it's been dead for several years, then Microsoft (or whoever owns the rights to the game by then) might be willing to give it a go.
Kyng Offline
Rookie
XP: 8,760 Mario Kart Halloween Birthday Bash Persona 
Some of the older Elder Scrolls games seem like good candidates. Given how phenomenally successful Skyrim has been phenomenally popular, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw re-imaginings of Morrowind and Oblivion at some point in the 2020s. (Yes, I know they both have mods using the Skyrim engine, but I expect Bethesda will want to cash in on that Tongue )

Also, what about Minecraft? It depends very much on whether or not it's still selling well in 15-20 years' time: if it is, then there will be no need to re-make it; however, if it's been dead for several years, then Microsoft (or whoever owns the rights to the game by then) might be willing to give it a go.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Mar 1st, 2019, 05:36 AM)Hotspot Wrote:

These and other realistically graphic-focused games I think will be the most interesting ones to follow up with. At that point, I wonder if it'll get to the point where the remake turns into a complete VR + FMV sequence experience. Hmm
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Mar 1st, 2019, 05:36 AM)Hotspot Wrote:

These and other realistically graphic-focused games I think will be the most interesting ones to follow up with. At that point, I wonder if it'll get to the point where the remake turns into a complete VR + FMV sequence experience. Hmm
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Nekopara (adult version) in full, immersive Virtual Reality.

Hnnnggg.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Online
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,626 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Nekopara (adult version) in full, immersive Virtual Reality.

Hnnnggg.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM)Kyng Wrote:
I don't think the game could be remade, at least not in the traditional sense like most games would get. The visual style wouldn't change much, if at all, and most features would remain. It would basically just be a relaunch of whatever the last update was, and maybe adding in some new stuff, which at that point just makes a Minecraft remake to most likely be an update and maybe a rewrite of the game code to make it better in some way.

The chances of Minecraft getting an outright remake is probably on par to the game getting a sequel. There's just not much you could do to warrant calling it a remake or a new game, it would just be a revival of what already existed.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Mar 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM)Kyng Wrote:
I don't think the game could be remade, at least not in the traditional sense like most games would get. The visual style wouldn't change much, if at all, and most features would remain. It would basically just be a relaunch of whatever the last update was, and maybe adding in some new stuff, which at that point just makes a Minecraft remake to most likely be an update and maybe a rewrite of the game code to make it better in some way.

The chances of Minecraft getting an outright remake is probably on par to the game getting a sequel. There's just not much you could do to warrant calling it a remake or a new game, it would just be a revival of what already existed.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My thought is that Indy games that aren't all 3D GC get remade. Games like Blossom Tales gets remade, & other sleeper hits like Stardew Valley & the like.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
My thought is that Indy games that aren't all 3D GC get remade. Games like Blossom Tales gets remade, & other sleeper hits like Stardew Valley & the like.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only issue with a lot of the indie games are that any which are self published might be hard to remake 20 years from now if the company that made the game no longer exists. For example, who would get the right to make Stardew Valley if the original developer went under? The rights would die with the company unless they sold them off.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
The only issue with a lot of the indie games are that any which are self published might be hard to remake 20 years from now if the company that made the game no longer exists. For example, who would get the right to make Stardew Valley if the original developer went under? The rights would die with the company unless they sold them off.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
It’s probably going to be whatever’s really popular and still held in high regards
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
It’s probably going to be whatever’s really popular and still held in high regards
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I could see the original Uncharted getting remade with upgrades the series saw throughout the years. Still has the best story of the series imo.
Metallix Offline
Settled In
Currently Playing
Dreams
XP: 2,440
I could see the original Uncharted getting remade with upgrades the series saw throughout the years. Still has the best story of the series imo.
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Mar 5th, 2019, 06:06 PM)Moonface Wrote:
What if Nintendo bought some of these games from their developers? It could happen. Also.. Um.. It sounds like you don't expect all of these indy devs to make it past 20 years, which is kinda depressing. That would mean we'd loose a whole lot of gaming history to time if a lot of them don't survive.

Still, if not them I could also see way older games get HD remakes; like Majora's Mask since the 3DS remake was alright. Same with Ocarina of Time. yea the graphics were smoothed over; but they both still need a total remake impo.
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
(Mar 5th, 2019, 06:06 PM)Moonface Wrote:
What if Nintendo bought some of these games from their developers? It could happen. Also.. Um.. It sounds like you don't expect all of these indy devs to make it past 20 years, which is kinda depressing. That would mean we'd loose a whole lot of gaming history to time if a lot of them don't survive.

Still, if not them I could also see way older games get HD remakes; like Majora's Mask since the 3DS remake was alright. Same with Ocarina of Time. yea the graphics were smoothed over; but they both still need a total remake impo.
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply those indie companies will definitely all cease to exist twenty years from now. I was just addressing the possibility of what problems might arise should any particular indie company go under without giving the rights to their IP over to someone else.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply those indie companies will definitely all cease to exist twenty years from now. I was just addressing the possibility of what problems might arise should any particular indie company go under without giving the rights to their IP over to someone else.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I'm not really sure what games will be remade in 20 years time since I most likely won't be continuing to collect. (Once games go 100% digital I'm out).

I am still waiting for a Legend of Zelda: OoT re-release though.
WR91 Offline
Casual
XP: 4,670
I'm not really sure what games will be remade in 20 years time since I most likely won't be continuing to collect. (Once games go 100% digital I'm out).

I am still waiting for a Legend of Zelda: OoT re-release though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  27 Years, 27 Games Maniakkid25 27 8,103 Mar 26th, 2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Maniakkid25
  Questioning "Unanswerable" Things in Games? Moonface 7 567 Mar 18th, 2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Are Big Budget Games Sustainable? Moonface 2 89 Mar 13th, 2024, 09:09 PM
  Nonsensical Situations in Games Moonface 6 723 Feb 13th, 2024, 11:14 PM
  "Gamers Need To Get Comfortable Not Owning Their Games" - Ubisoft Moonface 8 299 Jan 19th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kyng