Steam Deck
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jan 25th, 2022, 03:45 AM)zoldos Wrote:
I never got into handheld gaming.  I prefer a full blown desktop gaming rig!
You wouldn't like the idea of playing certain PC games while in a position to not use a desktop, such as on a plane? Or would you use a gaming laptop instead of a handheld device like the Steam Deck?
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,645 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jan 25th, 2022, 03:45 AM)zoldos Wrote:
I never got into handheld gaming.  I prefer a full blown desktop gaming rig!
You wouldn't like the idea of playing certain PC games while in a position to not use a desktop, such as on a plane? Or would you use a gaming laptop instead of a handheld device like the Steam Deck?
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Official release date... released!

[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 26,187 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
Official release date... released!

zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
XP: 192
(Jan 25th, 2022, 11:47 PM)Moonface Wrote:

I never leave the house....
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 11th, 2022, 09:40 PM)zoldos Wrote:

Ah. The lifestyle of a true gamer. Tongue

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Feb 11th, 2022, 09:40 PM)zoldos Wrote:

zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Feb 13th, 2022, 08:55 PM)Moonface Wrote:

lol Definitely! Grin
-=<>=-
zoldos Offline
Drake Narco
Currently Playing
The Finals
Favourite Platform(s)
PC
Pronouns
Me
(Feb 13th, 2022, 08:55 PM)Moonface Wrote:

lol Definitely! Grin
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So Valve announced last week that they are releasing an OLED version of the Steam Deck (with some other perks like longer battery life, faster downloads, etc.) and I have to admit, I am going of interested in it now.

Just not sure if I want to invest in one since I plan on picking up an OLED monitor next year some time, but could be nice to have Steam on the go for when I don't feel like playing any Switch games.
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
So Valve announced last week that they are releasing an OLED version of the Steam Deck (with some other perks like longer battery life, faster downloads, etc.) and I have to admit, I am going of interested in it now.

Just not sure if I want to invest in one since I plan on picking up an OLED monitor next year some time, but could be nice to have Steam on the go for when I don't feel like playing any Switch games.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Isn't the OLED model supposed to be a limited edition thing? When I saw the announcement it came off as if this isn't going to be a permanent new model choice but instead just a special variant that will only be available while stocks last. Unsure

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Isn't the OLED model supposed to be a limited edition thing? When I saw the announcement it came off as if this isn't going to be a permanent new model choice but instead just a special variant that will only be available while stocks last. Unsure
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
There's a version of the 1TB OLED Steam Deck that's going to be limited edition. The only difference I see in their list of features is that the LE one comes with a limited edition carrying case, while the normal 1TB OLED model comes with a basic carrying case, and will cost $30 more than the non-limited 1TB OLED Steam Deck.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
There's a version of the 1TB OLED Steam Deck that's going to be limited edition. The only difference I see in their list of features is that the LE one comes with a limited edition carrying case, while the normal 1TB OLED model comes with a basic carrying case, and will cost $30 more than the non-limited 1TB OLED Steam Deck.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I wasn't aware there were two OLED versions. I'm glad I didn't get a Steam Deck yet since I'd be bummed not having an OLED version of it, although I don't know when I'll get one. I know whenever I do I'll definitely use it a lot for emulating older games as well as using it to play PC games on my TV with a controller like a regular home console. For some reason I can never really get into playing PC games on an actual PC setup. Errm

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
Ah, I wasn't aware there were two OLED versions. I'm glad I didn't get a Steam Deck yet since I'd be bummed not having an OLED version of it, although I don't know when I'll get one. I know whenever I do I'll definitely use it a lot for emulating older games as well as using it to play PC games on my TV with a controller like a regular home console. For some reason I can never really get into playing PC games on an actual PC setup. Errm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I think now is the best time to invest in one. These are actually solid handhelds and to have that OLED screen with the TB storage will be perfection.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah I think now is the best time to invest in one. These are actually solid handhelds and to have that OLED screen with the TB storage will be perfection.
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious if the Steam Deck came in other colors or not so went to the official website to check, and saw it didn't but also saw that the LCD models are discounted due to being discontinued. However, the prices didn't seem like they were discounted ones because this is how the pricing stacks up:
  • LCD Model - 64GB ($349.99) / 256GB ($399.99) / 512GB ($449.99)
  • OLED Model - 512GB ($549.99) / 1TB ($649.99)
First, the price difference between the 64GB and 256GB LCD models is only $50 yet the storage difference is 4x, so I don't get why anyone would touch the 64GB version when it's such a garbage value for money compared to the 256GB.
Secondly, a $100 difference between the two 512GB models when one is discounted makes me wonder what the original price was for the 512GB LCD model. The discount to the LCD models was $200, so each of those would've been $200 more before this discount. $200 is a lot but when measured against the OLED pricing the LCD prices seem to all be rather shit. Also RIP to anyone who spent $549.99 for a 64GB LCD model prior to the OLED 512GB model being announced for the same price point.

Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
I was curious if the Steam Deck came in other colors or not so went to the official website to check, and saw it didn't but also saw that the LCD models are discounted due to being discontinued. However, the prices didn't seem like they were discounted ones because this is how the pricing stacks up:
  • LCD Model - 64GB ($349.99) / 256GB ($399.99) / 512GB ($449.99)
  • OLED Model - 512GB ($549.99) / 1TB ($649.99)
First, the price difference between the 64GB and 256GB LCD models is only $50 yet the storage difference is 4x, so I don't get why anyone would touch the 64GB version when it's such a garbage value for money compared to the 256GB.
Secondly, a $100 difference between the two 512GB models when one is discounted makes me wonder what the original price was for the 512GB LCD model. The discount to the LCD models was $200, so each of those would've been $200 more before this discount. $200 is a lot but when measured against the OLED pricing the LCD prices seem to all be rather shit. Also RIP to anyone who spent $549.99 for a 64GB LCD model prior to the OLED 512GB model being announced for the same price point.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I've been really juggling back and forth on whether or not it'd be worth me getting an OLED Steam Deck. I don't know how much I'd really do much handheld gaming with it, and I don't see why I'd use it hooked to my TV when I have a beefy PC already, plus I plan on adding an OLED monitor to my set-up at some point next year (main one I'm keeping my eye on at the moment is the upcoming 32'' 4K 240hz QD-OLED offering that ASUS will be releasing early 2024), and that will be a better screen to play on than the Steam Deck OLED anyways.

While I'm really tempted by the shiny sparkles of the SD OLED, I might have to actually do the smart thing for once and not spend a bucket of money on it. Especially considering how little I use my Switch as it is. I think the only thing I could make use of on the Steam Deck is running an Android emulator on it to have another way to play my many gacha games, but seeing as I have a high-end phone and tablet that can run the games, a laptop that can run an emulator, and a PC that can easily handle running multiple instances of an emulator, I think I might be covered in that area well enough already.

So that leaves me with the result of: Steam Deck just isn't a smart purchase for me, and while I love throwing money around like I have infinite of it, I think I have to sit this one out. If anyone here does get an OLED Steam Deck, you'll have to let me know how wonderful it is for you. Or maybe not because that would make me want to buy one even though I don't have a good enough use for it, haha.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
I've been really juggling back and forth on whether or not it'd be worth me getting an OLED Steam Deck. I don't know how much I'd really do much handheld gaming with it, and I don't see why I'd use it hooked to my TV when I have a beefy PC already, plus I plan on adding an OLED monitor to my set-up at some point next year (main one I'm keeping my eye on at the moment is the upcoming 32'' 4K 240hz QD-OLED offering that ASUS will be releasing early 2024), and that will be a better screen to play on than the Steam Deck OLED anyways.

While I'm really tempted by the shiny sparkles of the SD OLED, I might have to actually do the smart thing for once and not spend a bucket of money on it. Especially considering how little I use my Switch as it is. I think the only thing I could make use of on the Steam Deck is running an Android emulator on it to have another way to play my many gacha games, but seeing as I have a high-end phone and tablet that can run the games, a laptop that can run an emulator, and a PC that can easily handle running multiple instances of an emulator, I think I might be covered in that area well enough already.

So that leaves me with the result of: Steam Deck just isn't a smart purchase for me, and while I love throwing money around like I have infinite of it, I think I have to sit this one out. If anyone here does get an OLED Steam Deck, you'll have to let me know how wonderful it is for you. Or maybe not because that would make me want to buy one even though I don't have a good enough use for it, haha.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I forget, does the SteamDeck have expandable memory? Hmm
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
I forget, does the SteamDeck have expandable memory? Hmm