Retro consoles
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
XP: 184
Every one of us would've owned one of these things that actually defined gaming. Which ones did you own? And what were your memories of them?

For me, I had the SNES as I mentioned earlier and was the only one I had too. I had played on the PS1 and N64 at a friend's house though, those were good times. Even of Super Mario 64 ^_^
[Image: E12av.png]
Gamers welcome also, yeah.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
Every one of us would've owned one of these things that actually defined gaming. Which ones did you own? And what were your memories of them?

For me, I had the SNES as I mentioned earlier and was the only one I had too. I had played on the PS1 and N64 at a friend's house though, those were good times. Even of Super Mario 64 ^_^
Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252
Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
While growing up, I had a Famicom, which was my pride and joy.

When that broke (the true tragedy of having the controllers permanently attached to the console itself is that you could completely destroy the whole thing once the main wire died... and it did) we got a SEGA Genesis, which I recall being remarkably cheaper when compared to the SNES.

Between both consoles, I played some of the best games I have ever laid eyes on: Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Frontline, Sonic the Hedgehog, Road Rash 3... and who knows how many more.

When I got my first job, I started retro-collecting: Now I own an NES, another Famicom, a SEGA Genesis Model 2, a Dreamcast, a PS1, PS2, PS3, Gameboy Pocket and even some Tiger handhelds Tongue
When leaves have fallen.
And skies turned to grey.
The night keeps on closing in on the day.
A nightingale sings his song of farewell.
You better hide from her freezing hell. ~ Ice Queen, Within Temptation.

Nightingale Offline
Resident Manic Farmer
Currently Playing
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
XP: 5,252 Dragon Quest Final Fantasy Splatoon 
While growing up, I had a Famicom, which was my pride and joy.

When that broke (the true tragedy of having the controllers permanently attached to the console itself is that you could completely destroy the whole thing once the main wire died... and it did) we got a SEGA Genesis, which I recall being remarkably cheaper when compared to the SNES.

Between both consoles, I played some of the best games I have ever laid eyes on: Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Frontline, Sonic the Hedgehog, Road Rash 3... and who knows how many more.

When I got my first job, I started retro-collecting: Now I own an NES, another Famicom, a SEGA Genesis Model 2, a Dreamcast, a PS1, PS2, PS3, Gameboy Pocket and even some Tiger handhelds Tongue
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
I feel bad for not owning an NES or MegaDrive to be honest... but at least I had experienced them through emulators Wink Although, I had a Famiclone known as the Power Joy II, that I had for my Christmas in 2001. Didn't really make much use of it, other than playing TwinBee on it.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
I feel bad for not owning an NES or MegaDrive to be honest... but at least I had experienced them through emulators Wink Although, I had a Famiclone known as the Power Joy II, that I had for my Christmas in 2001. Didn't really make much use of it, other than playing TwinBee on it.
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
For me the oldest console I ever played physically was my brother's NES and apparently they used to be a SNES, but that apparently died or something? I never seen it and I believe they also had a Sega Genesis.

Speaking of Retro has N64 and Gamecube reached retro status yet?
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,367 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
For me the oldest console I ever played physically was my brother's NES and apparently they used to be a SNES, but that apparently died or something? I never seen it and I believe they also had a Sega Genesis.

lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152
Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 
(Jun 9th, 2018, 09:29 PM)Yuri Wrote:

No they never will, I am old enough as it is!

Well my "retro" gaming console was PC.... my dad teaching me the DOS commands to bring up Wolfenstein 3D...and some other games that are mostly just vague memories now.

Oh and Ski Free and 3D Pinball: Space Cadet...

Zaythus Network Community Lifeboat man I suck at advertising stuff...
[Image: pcmascot.png]
Putting the 'Percussive' in 'Maintenance' since Before (most of) you were born.
Any post do not reflect the views of Zaythus Netwroks Inc nor it's new Murderous OverLoard Tap A Talk (hereby referred to as "TAT").
Any posts do not necessary reflect the views of the poster, after all he does shitpost from time to time, like right now.

Percussive maintenance - the art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
We need Tables!
The community's grumpy old man who goes on long winded rants.
WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
[Image: BDay-18-2nd.png]
[Image: ZUW3rka.gif]
Spooky scary skeletons
Send shivers down your spine
Shrieking skulls will shock your soul
Seal your doom tonight
[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY]
https://i.imgur.com/DVjkd5Z.gif
lp0 on fire Offline
PC Load Letter WTF does that mean?!
Currently Playing
OpenRTC 2, Parkitech
Favourite Platform(s)
Glorious PC Master Race
XP: 3,152 Uncharted Tomb Raider Tekken 

No they never will, I am old enough as it is!

Well my "retro" gaming console was PC.... my dad teaching me the DOS commands to bring up Wolfenstein 3D...and some other games that are mostly just vague memories now.

Oh and Ski Free and 3D Pinball: Space Cadet...
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
[Switch] Pokemon Scarlet/Violet: DLC [PS5] Star Trek: Resurgence [PC] FFX
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I still have my Atari 2600, SNES, NES & SEGA GENESIS that all work just fine. My first 'retro' system was a SNES though. I've got a different SNES system then the one I had originally since then (of course).
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I still have my Atari 2600, SNES, NES & SEGA GENESIS that all work just fine. My first 'retro' system was a SNES though. I've got a different SNES system then the one I had originally since then (of course).
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
The N64 was discontinued in 2002/03, so definitely. The GameCube also when it was the end for that in 2007 worldwide.
macGamr Offline
Irony represent.
Currently Playing
The game of life
The N64 was discontinued in 2002/03, so definitely. The GameCube also when it was the end for that in 2007 worldwide.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Atari 2600
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis
N64
PS1
Gameboy
Gameboy Color (if you would count this as separate from the GB)

I had most of the systems when I was a kid and actively played them all.
2023 Platinum Goal: 1/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Remnant: From the Ashes
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Remnant From the Ashes (PS4 + PC) | Golden Sun | Bravely Default II | Granblue Fantasy Re:Link | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,630 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Atari 2600
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis
N64
PS1
Gameboy
Gameboy Color (if you would count this as separate from the GB)

I had most of the systems when I was a kid and actively played them all.
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Administrators
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025
Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Atari 2600 and PS1 was all I played on, and no longer have them. My brother took those with him when he moved out. Sister still has her PS2 which is backwards compatible, if I ever wanted to play my PS1 games. Although really I should've bought my own PS2 when I could. I suppose I can get either now from a stall at a convention, if I wanted. Eh, but I'm not desperate for one.

Atari and PS1 though, those were the days. Especially with the Atari joystick and button, such a simple and fun controller. Huge block of a cartridge as well. XD
[Image: Hazama-sig.png]
Mr EliteL Offline
Administrator
Currently Playing
Genshin Impact
Favourite Platform(s)
DS/3DS/PS3/PS4
Pronouns
He/Him
XP: 22,025 Halloween Birthday Bash (Shiny) Yoshi Metroid 
Atari 2600 and PS1 was all I played on, and no longer have them. My brother took those with him when he moved out. Sister still has her PS2 which is backwards compatible, if I ever wanted to play my PS1 games. Although really I should've bought my own PS2 when I could. I suppose I can get either now from a stall at a convention, if I wanted. Eh, but I'm not desperate for one.

Atari and PS1 though, those were the days. Especially with the Atari joystick and button, such a simple and fun controller. Huge block of a cartridge as well. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If we're only counting 5th Gen, then the only console I owned was a PS1. I've played N64 a little bit since being with Shira, and I've sometimes played old consoles at places like hospitals or conventions. Oh, and seeing it mentioned I've played some Gameboy here and there after Shira gave me her one. XD
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Dying Light 2 (PS5) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
If we're only counting 5th Gen, then the only console I owned was a PS1. I've played N64 a little bit since being with Shira, and I've sometimes played old consoles at places like hospitals or conventions. Oh, and seeing it mentioned I've played some Gameboy here and there after Shira gave me her one. XD
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605
Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I still have my original PS1, though Jing had to replace the laser since it started not to read PS1 discs a few years ago. I also still have my original phat PS2 & it works just fine. I traded in my original purple gamecube for the Legend of Zelda special edition disc & it came with a black gamecube. I gave my DS to my nephew, & I gave Jing my Star Wars Darth Vadar PSP edition when I got a different PSP. I also have my original Xbox 360, but I didn't get that until about 2 years ago. XD
[Image: palwor10.png]
[Image: dj8g30-f027a6f5-6621-48fd-98ef-d91107be781c.png]
queenzelda Offline
Lady Pikachu
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/PS4-5/GC-Sw
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,605 Tomb Raider Tekken Rayman 
I still have my original PS1, though Jing had to replace the laser since it started not to read PS1 discs a few years ago. I also still have my original phat PS2 & it works just fine. I traded in my original purple gamecube for the Legend of Zelda special edition disc & it came with a black gamecube. I gave my DS to my nephew, & I gave Jing my Star Wars Darth Vadar PSP edition when I got a different PSP. I also have my original Xbox 360, but I didn't get that until about 2 years ago. XD
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 16th, 2018, 08:40 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I also still have my original phat PS2 & it works just fine.
I'm always impressed when people still have working fat PS2's. I went through so many of those because they always broke down.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Offline
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 27,168 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
(Jun 16th, 2018, 08:40 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
I also still have my original phat PS2 & it works just fine.
I'm always impressed when people still have working fat PS2's. I went through so many of those because they always broke down.
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Moderators
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769
Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jun 15th, 2018, 05:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Oh, and seeing it mentioned I've played some Gameboy here and there after Shira gave me her one. XD

Sir, that was a Gameboy Advance SP, not a Gameboy. What are you, a mom? Tongue

I have (and still have): SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, N64, and a PS2. The only thing I don't have anymore is my original Gamecube because I loaned it to a friend (whom I'm not in contact with anymore), along with a couple of really good games for it (just the discs, I have empty cases now..). Everything still works. The SNES and N64 take a bit of "percussive maintenance" to get going these days, though. The N64 especially, which sucks. >.<

Oh and I also have my original fat PS2 :3
[Image: 40lI5nT.png]
ShiraNoMai Offline
Kacheek Says Ace Pride!
Currently Playing
Stardew Valley (Steam) | Pokémon Black 3: Genesis (GBC)
Favourite Platform(s)
SNES | PS2 | Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 25,769 Yoshi (Shiny) Kirby (Shiny) The Legend of Zelda (Shiny) 
(Jun 15th, 2018, 05:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Oh, and seeing it mentioned I've played some Gameboy here and there after Shira gave me her one. XD

Sir, that was a Gameboy Advance SP, not a Gameboy. What are you, a mom? Tongue

I have (and still have): SNES, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, N64, and a PS2. The only thing I don't have anymore is my original Gamecube because I loaned it to a friend (whom I'm not in contact with anymore), along with a couple of really good games for it (just the discs, I have empty cases now..). Everything still works. The SNES and N64 take a bit of "percussive maintenance" to get going these days, though. The N64 especially, which sucks. >.<

Oh and I also have my original fat PS2 :3
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232
Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
I've still got my Mega Drive (Genesis), complete with the SegaCD attachment. I also have a Dreamcast lying around somewhere in storage, and possibly my strangest one is a Neo Geo Pocket Color. I bought it from a friend in college, and it's such a cute little machine.

I have an N64 somewhere also, though I tend to hurt people with my opinions of it. Namely that Diddy Kong Racing was leagues better than Mario Kart. I mostly only played Fighters Destiny on it though. I bought it as a big bundle with a pile of random boxless games after saving my allowance for ages. Ocarina of Time, Pokémon Stadium, Fighters Destiny, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokémon Snap, Star Fox, Turok, and Harvest Moon 64 are the ones I remember.
Kazan X. Lemuris Offline
Beginner
Currently Playing
Grandia HD, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Favourite Platform(s)
Dreamcast, PS4
XP: 2,232 Mario Kart Doom Pokémon 
I've still got my Mega Drive (Genesis), complete with the SegaCD attachment. I also have a Dreamcast lying around somewhere in storage, and possibly my strangest one is a Neo Geo Pocket Color. I bought it from a friend in college, and it's such a cute little machine.

I have an N64 somewhere also, though I tend to hurt people with my opinions of it. Namely that Diddy Kong Racing was leagues better than Mario Kart. I mostly only played Fighters Destiny on it though. I bought it as a big bundle with a pile of random boxless games after saving my allowance for ages. Ocarina of Time, Pokémon Stadium, Fighters Destiny, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokémon Snap, Star Fox, Turok, and Harvest Moon 64 are the ones I remember.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
GBC
SNES
N64
Gamecube
PS1
PS2

I still have my games for all of them.
Grungie Offline
Newcomer
XP: 153
GBC
SNES
N64
Gamecube
PS1
PS2

I still have my games for all of them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Consoles Moonface 8 2,612 Sep 16th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Moonface
  Next Generation of Consoles Expected to Come Out in 2028 Moonface 8 1,244 Jul 1st, 2023, 11:05 PM
  Does Anyone Here Bother with Apps on Consoles? Moonface 12 2,141 Dec 7th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Frank
  Let's Look Back at the 8th Generation of Consoles Moonface 5 2,065 Feb 5th, 2022, 01:06 AM
  Let's Look Back at the 7th Generation of Consoles Moonface 23 8,254 Aug 10th, 2021, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Nightingale