Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Nintendo Switch | Online Service Announcement Incoming
Topic Started: Aug 15 2015, 05:17 PM (9,357 Views)
Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

So there isn't many known details about the Nintendo NX except that it will not be discussed by Nintendo in-depth until 2016, and that it's a "dedicated games platform with a brand new concept". That doesn't stop us sharing our hopes and thoughts for the platform though! ^_^

If this is the next generation system to come from Nintendo as the successor to the Wii U, I think the following are a must:
  • Abandon the Wii name. Wii U was and shall always be a bad name to me because it doesn't sound like a name for a Wii successor. It just sounds like a Wii peripheral to most average consumers like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, etc.

• Give third parties a reason to care. Wii U is outright ignored because the install base is low, and even if it wasn't the system lacks the power to handle games that could be ported from other systems without needing downgrades that are normally significant enough that the developer just doesn't bother, or people ignore it in favour of buying the better experience on another system. Sure, first party games are the primary reason to get any Nintendo system, but imagine if your PS3 or Xbox 360 was mostly first party games. Do you think they'd have sold as well as they have done if their library was mostly that and nothing else?

• Decent HDD space. It's ridiculous that the biggest Wii U HDD as standard is 32GB. If you're going to put a HDD in your system, make it a decent size or it just makes the system look cheap when compared to systems that were out before it already offering 160GB or more. Even the original PS3 had 60GB and that was back in 2006.

By the way, I know my points are mentioning a lot of negatives, but that's pretty much the point of saying what you want improved over previous offerings. ;)

So, what do you guys hope for? Does anyone else agree on anything I mentioned, or perhaps you disagree instead? Share your thoughts.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ShiraNoMai
Member Avatar
TFW Food Betrays You

100% agree with abandoning the Wii name. I feel like they would this time around, after seeing how confused the market became when they announced the Wii U console back in 2011. That, and I don't think they can benefit any further with continuing the Wii brand, especially so when they're trying something completely different this time around, according to them.

Third parties will definitely be beneficial to Nintendo, seeing how poorly they've been able to appeal to third parties. And all their third parties, before I get an argument about having them, are either much later than other console's releases, or the deals don't last too long. Creating a system that will be developer-friendly will make Nintendo SO much more money.

My one problem I see Nintendo having is regaining trust with consumers and fellow developers/companies. Nintendo is dealing with Japan syndrome, mainly appealing to them, and thinking it'll transfer overseas perfectly well, i.e. adding "New" to titles of games and consoles. I hope this last ditch effort of regaining that status Nintendo used to have will really help Nintendo get out of the rut.

Dragon Lord
Member Avatar
Lv. 99 Weeb
Nintendo needs to actually learn how to advertise something other than the 3DS in North America and Europe. No matter what they do, if they don't learn how to properly advertise it, it's going to end up the same way as the Wii U did.

They also need to get third party exclusives. Just getting third party support won't help, because if a game is released on both the PS4 and the NX, odds are most people will get the PS4 one. They really need to seal some good third party exclusives.

For me on a personal level, they need to get some RPGs on there. I know the Wii U has some, but compare it to what the PS3/PS4 has and the Wii U might as well not have any. Even the 3DS, which has quite a lot of RPGs, is destroyed by the amount of RPGs the Vita has. If Nintendo can start getting some more RPGs, then I might actually be interested in getting the NX and not have to wait 5+ years after its release to get it.

Kaori
Member Avatar
The Witch
I'm not entirely sure what exactly I'm hoping for from this new Nintendo Console. But I'm not entirely sure if this is legit suppose to be the Wii U replacement or not? If it is, I don't really have any problem with the name. Because if we look at the past Nintendo consoles:
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance

As you can see the names have never really been that great or different to begin with. But if this is legit a replacement for the Wii U then I think hey will probably distance themselves from the Wii brand anyways.

Power wise I think it would be a good idea to make it more powerful and closer to the other systems, because it would be cool to get more third party games exclusive, but port wise I feel like since this system is going to have a new gimmick. Nintendo shouldn't really be going for ports.

Hard drive space, defintiely could use some upping and it really wouldn't cost that much.

But for any of my own points, I don't really got any. I just hope it will be a new fun experience for us. Also Nikki, it's hard for nintendo to understand our strange culture. D:

ShiraNoMai
Member Avatar
TFW Food Betrays You

The name problem wasn't a problem then because they weren't releasing something that looked practically identical to its predecessor. That, and there is a certain stigma associated with the Wii name. The Wii was widely successful because it catered to the casual market quite immensely. I can ask any adult or kid about the types of games they've played on the Wii, and I guarantee you they will be all casual games (or kid games). So, with those two factors kept in mind, it is quite easy to see how consumers became confused that the Wii U wasn't just buying the GamePad as another controller for the Wii console.

But yeah, DL made another good point: They need to pay A LOT of attention on advertising. I mean, I don't see a lot of commercials for Xbox or PlayStation really these days, but it's still well-known the consoles are out there.

Nintendo Files Patent for Discless Console

Nintendo have filed the following patent, implying that they are planning a console that will be more than likely digital based only, much like modern mobile platforms (iOS, Android). This will probably stress the issue of a large hard-disk drive as we have mentioned in this topic.

Optional external hardware was also mentioned in the patent, in the form of SD cards for data transfer.
US Patent Application

"STATIONARY GAME APPARATUS, GAME APPARATUS, GAME SYSTEM, RECORDING MEDIUM AND SPEED CONTROL METHOD

An example system includes an internal hard disk drive storing a program and/or data, a communication unit transmitting/receiving a program and/or data via a network, and a processor executing a program stored in the hard disk drive to perform game processing. The example system is not provided with an optical disk drive for reading out a program and/or data from an optical disk.

The card slot 19 of the game apparatus 1 may receive or discharge the memory card 7 such as an SD memory card. The card slot 19 can read or write data from/to the attached memory card 7. In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13. This can realize, for example, version upgrade of the first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the version upgrade of a program may be realized by downloading a program from the server apparatus 9 through the communication unit 15."

Posted Image

Source: Gamnesia

Dragon Lord
Member Avatar
Lv. 99 Weeb
Oh god. Well, RIP Nintendo consoles for me if they do go digital only. f**k that.

ShiraNoMai
Member Avatar
TFW Food Betrays You

I've actually grown fond of the digital library. It is such a pain in the ass to get discs/cartridges out and put in different ones to play the games I own. When I play my Wii U, and am like "Hmm, I wanna play Wind Waker", I literally get the GamePad out, press the home button, click Wind Waker, and bam, I'm playing Wind Waker. Instant gratification. No hassle of getting the disc out of the container, putting the other disc into its container, then closing both containers, putting them away, and THEN can I repeat the process I mentioned with digital.

Do I love physical libraries? Yes. Do I love their hassle? No.

Kaori
Member Avatar
The Witch
ShiraNoMai
Aug 22 2015, 06:04 AM
Didn't we consumers basically just say we don't want a discless console in the first place?

This to me seems more like that catering to the mobile market than a replacement to the Wii U currently to me.

But we will see what the future holds.

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

Just because it lacks discs doesn't mean it doesn't use a form of physical media at all to read games. 3DS lacks one, it still has physical games though. For all we know this could be something to go alongside Wii U and 3DS and not to replace either, in which case discs aren't necessary if it's just using something from either of those systems to collect data from.

Kaori
Member Avatar
The Witch
Moonface
Aug 22 2015, 07:27 PM
Just because it lacks discs doesn't mean it doesn't use a form of physical media at all to read games. 3DS lacks one, it still has physical games though. For all we know this could be something to go alongside Wii U and 3DS and not to replace either, in which case discs aren't necessary if it's just using something from either of those systems to collect data from.
Judging from the design, it seems to be a small system, but not a handheld system.

My main reason from that is if you look at the schematics, their is an external controller.

I guess the "memory card" could be game cartridges.....I'm not entirely sure what they're going to go for honestly. I just hope it will be something good.

Also I doubt they'll be having this connect to the Wii U or 3DS to get any info, if it does it won't be anything necessary.
Edited by Kaori, Aug 23 2015, 05:42 AM.

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

So some folks over at Gamnesia did some further digging into all the boring jargon of the patent that Nintendo filed and discovered this:
Quote:

[0056] The first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25 executed by the processor 10 of the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment is configured to operate in the game apparatus 1 of the hardware configuration illustrated in FIG. 1, while operating also in a game apparatus with a hardware configuration different from the above. The first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25 also operate in, for example, a game apparatus including an optical disk drive or a game apparatus not including the internal HDD 13.

[0057] Accordingly, for the first basic program 24 or the second basic program 25, multiple processing routines are provided corresponding to multiple kinds of hardware configurations. For example, as multiple processing routines, a processing routine for reading in a device driver for the internal HDD 13 and a processing routine for reading in a device driver for the optical disk drive can be provided. For example, as processing routines for reading out the game program 26, a processing routine for reading out from the internal HDD 13 and a processing routine for reading out from an optical disk drive are provided. These are mere examples and other processing routines corresponding to various hardware configurations may also be provided.
So perhaps they're planning on models that are tailored to different groups. My only concern with this is what do those who like physical media do for games that are digital only such as small indie games? The system would need a HDD no matter what too because how do you expect people to download DLC and patches? You can't just expect people to put all that onto external storage devices.

ShiraNoMai
Member Avatar
TFW Food Betrays You

I'm presuming they're including everything together? Like, maybe they won't release two purchaseable things, but in one bundle? That, or they could just be messing around right now on how it'll work for either scenario, but aren't gonna implement two separate things? Remember, everything is still in the "what if we did THIS" stage.

Nintendo Files for In-Game Chat, Low-Powered Operating Modes

Nintendo filed a patent for in-game chat features an external device that would be used as an off-screen chat interface.

In-Game Chat

An exemplary game system includes a monitor for displaying a game image or a television program, and a terminal device having a camera, a microphone, and a loudspeaker. When a user is playing a game or viewing a television program by using the monitor, another user can have chat by using the terminal device.

Nintendo have also filed a patent for a console with three power settings: Full powered, eco-friendly, and a very low setting that disables all network features.

Low-Power Settings

An information processing system is capable of communicating with an external apparatus via a network. The information processing system is capable of operating in at least three operation modes including: a first mode; a second mode, which consumes less power than the first mode; and a third mode, which consumes less power than the second mode and where the communication via the network is not performed.

Lastly, a couple more ideas have been in various other patents filed as well:

1) "Real-time changes to the environment based on players' interactions with in-game hindrances, shared over a network. These kinds of changes could involve, for example, scaling the difficulty of certain segments of a game based on how well or how poorly the general playerbase is doing. This could very well be a more passive replacement for the intrusive “Super Guide” feature Nintendo's used in previous titles, where you could ask the game to give you some special advantages or simply take over if you were having trouble.
2) Using sound as a sampling mechanism for reading compressed data. The theory is that a particular data sequence could correspond to a particular audio signal, and a small sampling of that audio signal would be enough to identify the data. It'd be something like an aural QR code."

Source: Gamnesia

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen
.................I still think the NX is going to be revealed to be a tablet+phone. And everytime I say that on a Nintendo forum site I get shut down with members telling me that I'm wrong it's supposed to be the next console. But what if, I'm right? Then who's right? Oh, wait I was. :p

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

I don't see a phone as a dedicated gaming platform though as it's primarily a phone, not a gaming device. Also a gaming phone wouldn't be a new concept by itself as the Nokia N-Gage already did that, so if it is anything like a tablet/phone it would have to be doing something new that isn't a gaming console with phone capabilities.

Not saying it isn't possible to be phone/tablet related but that alone wouldn't be the new concept, so it makes me wonder what the new concept would be for a platform based on either of those.

Dragon Lord
Member Avatar
Lv. 99 Weeb
The more we find out about the NX, the less interested I become. Whether it's a new console, an add-on to the Wii U, or something entirely different, I think Nintendo is going to be done for me except for the 3DS and whatever their next handheld will be.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Systems & Hardware · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

UniV3rse designed by Moonface exclusively for Universal Gaming