Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Multi-Quote Multi-Quote
Add Reply
Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
Topic Started: Oct 2 2017, 08:42 PM (209 Views)
Maniakkid25
Member Avatar
Your resident purveyor of the weird
Posted Image

Standby for Titanfall!

Wait, how did I not write a review of this game?! That's friggin' CRIMINAL of me! So, if you joined me in my last Twitch stream, you saw me playing the PvE mode of Titanfall 2. But there's more to the game than that. Much, much more...

Graphics:

It's nice. I don't know what else to say about it other than that; the gameplay is so fast-paced you don't really get a chance to look at the pretty effects. But that's not to say that when you do get a chance, things look bad. No; the game does look great when you get the chance to actually look, but those are few and far between.

Score: 8/10

Gameplay:

Hoo boy!

So, given that Respawn is mainly made up of guys that left during the Infinity Ward Exodus, the game basically plays like Call of Duty taken to its ultimate conclusion. You have you standard FPS controls, and then you have the Titanfall quirks. So, when you're sprinting, if you hit crouch, you go into a slide that allows you to freely aim your gun, which means you can actually do the "slide in and shoot everyone" trick in some movies. As well, you can run along walls for a short time simply by jumping on to them. No special buttons or anything like that. It's a fluid transition that you can use to your advantage.

And that's a good word for the controls: fluid. The controls feel natural. It never feels like you're fighting the controls. If you are, then you're doing something you shouldn't be trying to do. Although, I should say, this is all true when you're on foot. In a Titan...that's a whole 'nother ball game!

The Titan is your giant mech of the day. There are many mechs (but Ronin is mine), each with their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, Scorch is all about the DOTs, so he puts out fire all the time. Northstar is a sniper with a big railgun, Legion is a tank wielding a big gatling gun, and so on. They each have their own offensive and defensive capabilities, and its up to you to use them the most effectively. On top of this, they each have their own super mode, known as a Core. This turns them in to the big f***-off machines of doom you've always wanted. Ion gets a big-ass laser, Legion gets homing rounds, Tone puts out a Macross Missile Massacre, and so on. It's really fun.

While normally, I'd separate out the SP and MP parts, the Single-player really plays more like a tutorial for the Multiplayer, and almost everything you can do in MP is already in SP, so there's no real reason to do so. It also doesn't hurt that the Campaign is only about 5 hours long, so you could potentially beat it in one sitting, but I would not classify this as a negative, and you'll soon see why. But the gameplay all and all is fun as hell!

Score: 10/10

Sounds of Music:

If the roar of gunfire and the stomps of mechs ain't your thing, you may want to just mute your TV. There is some music, but you don't notice it too much. The Single-player, however, has an all-star voice cast who brought their A-game. And Glenn Steinbaum, the voice of BT, brings an AMAZING performance, turning what would be just another AI into a human character. There are legitimate times where, even without changing the tone of his voice, you can FEEL the emotion behind BT, and the rest of the VA crew are all stellar as well. Seriously, the SP is really good all around.

Score: 8/10

Story:

Oh. My. God.

I don't hesitate with these words: Titanfall 2 tells one of the best stories in gaming. And it manages that in 5 hours.

See, one thing that the game has going for it is how short it is; it gets in, it tells what it needs to, and it gets out. It doesn't over-complicate things, it doesn't stretch things out any longer than they need to be. It's short, it's to the point, and it cares about only one thing: giving you a story that is DAMN good!

The start of the plot is that you're stranded; Jack Cooper, a rookie soldier, lands off-course, and you need to regroup with the rest of your force. Worse, you're the last one alive in your entire platoon, and even the Pilot and Titan that came down with you guys is dead, but not before transferring his Pilot status to Cooper. And so, Cooper, a newly-minted Pilot, and BT, his Titan, have to work together to complete the mission. And its this relationship that the story focuses on. It's just you and BT, and you both need each other. You get to watch their relationship slowly grow, and see how they come to care about each other in a way that only soldiers can understand. And sure, you're still playing a One-Man Army, but Pilots ARE One-Man Armies. With their Titan by their side, the only thing that can kill a Pilot with reliability is another Pilot.

And before I forget, I need to explain BT's character a little bit. Titans are programmed with 3 Protocols. They're kind of similar to Asimov's Three Laws, except in this case they're never subverted.

• 1. Link to Pilot
  • 2. Uphold the Mission
  • 3. Protect the Pilot
These three Protocols are an integral part to the story, and are the way that BT and Cooper grow as characters. BT MUST follow these to the letter, and he does it with such humanity, and willingness to do anything in his power to keep them going that it makes you genuinely care that BT always cares about you. And it makes you care what happens to him. ...I'll be honest, I'm sitting here writing this, thinking about what happens in the third act...and I'm struggling not to cry.

...This story manages to do so much in such a short amount of time. I cannot stress enough how great it is.

Score: 11/10

Overall: 37/40, or 9.25/10

I don't really know how to summarize, here. It's a great game, almost buried by EA's stupidity. I can only hope Titanfall 3 is as good as this one. ...Thank you, BT.
Offline Profile Quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Game Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme knitted exclusively for UniversalGaming.net