Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Multi-Quote Multi-Quote
Add Reply
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Topic Started: Mar 15 2018, 02:42 PM (232 Views)
Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q20aw1qPLT8
Square Enix has officially announced Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the final instalment in Lara Croft's rebooted origin story that will "deliver Lara Croft's defining moment".

A full reveal trailer will arrive on April 27th, with the game itself arriving on September 14th for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Online Profile Quote Top

Mr EliteL
Member Avatar
Hardcore Gamer

Ah, so the last two games and this makes a trilogy for the reboot. Wonder how good the game will be compared to the previous two, or perhaps be viewed as one.
Offline Profile Quote Top

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Reveal Trailer
As Lara Croft races to save the world from a Maya apocalypse, she must become the Tomb Raider she is destined to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9_8250Kndk

As the trailer doesn't show any gameplay footage, here are some high resolution screenshots of the game: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10
Online Profile Quote Top

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Special Editions Revealed
Alongside the reveal trailer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Square Enix has revealed various special editions for the game.

As the chart below shows, you'll receive varying levels of bonuses depending on whether you purchase the Standard, Digital, or Croft Editions of the game.

Posted Image
If that isn't enough for you, there is also the Ultimate Edition, which features everything included in the Croft Edition, plus a statue, bottle opener, flashlight, and more.

Posted Image
Pricing has yet to be confirmed for any of the editions shown.
Online Profile Quote Top

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen
I'll have to take some time & watch the trailers, I'm curious to see how this game looks to play. I've been a Tomb Raider fan(gamer) since the start. :3
Online Profile Quote Top

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

I don't think we'll see gameplay until E3. However, almost every first impression of this game that has come out from various publications today has been negative to a degree which is unusual with a reveal event.

PC Gamer Impressions
PC Gamer

However if this hour is representative of the rest of the game then go in expecting a linear roller coaster with some nice views and a score somewhere in the 50s or 60s from PC Gamer. The last two games were much more than that, and it seems likely that Shadow of the Tomb Raider will open up and give us the exploration, intricate puzzles and combat that made the other two games quite good. I can only judge based on what I've seen so far, and dramatic corridors powered by quicktime events don't cut it in 2018.

Eurogamer Impressions
Eurogamer

Let's start with the good. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a pretty game. The characters are incredibly detailed and move naturally in cutscenes (Lara's eyes are perhaps the most realistic I've seen in a game). A huge amount of work has been put into making the environments packed with detail, too. The level I played began in a Mexican town celebrating Día de Muertos - the Day of the Dead. While tailing the game's bad guy, a chap called Dominguez who's digging up a bit of Mexico on the hunt for an ancient Mayan artifact, you can't help but notice how densely packed the place. Candles and altars and bread and fruit and pictures and all sorts of clutter combine to make the place feel real. There's even a live band. Lara slowly shuffles through the throng like Drake does in all those calm-before-the-storm walking pace bits in the Uncharted games.

Also good: Shadow of the Tomb Raider has tomb raiding. After Lara comes up on Dominguez' dig-site, she discovers a Mayan pyramid inside a flooded cave. The cave is a huge place, impressively detailed and smartly designed to familiarise the player with Lara's many mechanics. To work your way to the artifact you have to swim, jump, climb and solve a clever rope puzzle before unlocking the prize. Inside the cave, it's just Lara, you and her occasional spoken thought (audio hints for those who struggle to work out what's going on). It turns out it's really nice to raid tombs as Lara Croft. Who knew?
Eurogamer

Now onto the bad. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the end of Lara's origin story, and so I accept there needs to be a tonal consistency across the trilogy, but by god the game needs to cheer up a bit. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is super serious - relentlessly so. Lara herself is one-note - the thing she is talking about is incredibly important and we'd better understand the gravity of it at all times. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is grimdark personified. Lara has clearly worked through any lingering remorse associated with stabby murder she felt in the previous games and emerged a deadly killing machine. Now she stabs with nary a care, willy nilly, in the chest, in the back, in the neck. More so than ever, she is a Ubisoft assassin, an Agent 47, a Tom Clancy super soldier.

I've come to accept Lara killing her way through hundreds of bad guys as she works to save the world. Naughty Dog's Uncharted series suffers from the same ludo-narrative dissonance as you switch from bloody shootout to emotional cutscene as the wise-cracking Nathan Drake and I still love those games. But the upshot of Tomb Raider's deathly tone is Lara feels empty, as if she has no personality. Playing the demo, I longed for the return of Core Design's imperious Lara, then pondered what a Tomb Raider game might look like starring an older Lara Croft. I'll soldier through Shadow of the Tomb Raider with this current version of Lara Croft, but I doubt she'll have made much of an impression by the game's end.

And finally, the ugly. The demo I played, which involved a stealth combat section that triggers after you lift the Mayan artifact from its home and must escape the crumbling ruins, betrayed the build's shaky foundations. Movement was a tad janky, the shooting a little erratic, the hitboxes a bit all over the place. I encountered a few bugs and on occasion the camera decided to embed itself within my troublesome cover. Eidos Montreal has a few months to sort a lot of this stuff out, so I'm not calling for an evac just yet, but I remain convinced that my favourite bits of this game will be those when Lara is on her lonesome in some mysterious tomb, pulling the odd lever and jumping from pillar to pillar.
Eurogamer

So, after 45 minutes with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I'm confident enough to report it's more of the same, and no doubt a fitting end to the big reboot project Crystal Dynamics embarked upon in March 2013. This is good and bad. It's good if you love these games, bad if you don't. That sounds like a bit of a cop-out, but it's important to note: Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't look like it'll do much to address common complaints with the series. In fact, it doubles down on some of them, presenting perhaps the grimmest and darkest Tomb Raider game yet. Lara is battered and bruised, blood and mud splattered, crushed under rock, drowning and gasping for air and, when you fail to nail the quick time event, speared gruesomely by a spike trap.

Gamekult (FR) Impressions
Gamekult

It's as if time had no grip on Lara Croft. Shadow of The Tomb Raider seems to follow the exact recipe developed by the 2013 reboot, just like Rise of the Tomb Raider did before. In other words, a game in which you'll climb, solve puzzles and do genocides in record times while profaning tombs - Maya, this time. Still racy, but a little rinsed. Unless future E3 and gamescom presentations show us some new surprises whose game would, at this stage, probably need.

IGN Impressions
IGN

If you’ve played the two most recent Tomb Raider games you’ll know what to expect here and it doesn’t hugely innovate on anything we’ve seen before, but the developers from Eidos Montreal assured us that you don’t need to play the others to enjoy this one, either.

Beyond that, Shadow of the Tomb Raider took me through a haunting, flooded city, made me watch a young boy fall to the depths as he tried to cling to a dry building, and saw Lara directly called a narcissist by one of her closest friends, Jonah. It is a genuinely gorgeous game (maybe aside from Lara’s weirdly disproportionate arms), with some of the largest hub areas in the entire series, and the gameplay has some significant and satisfying refinements, but it’s the darkness that has this addition to the franchise feeling fresh, and has me eager to learn more.

I found Rise of the Tomb Raider to be weaker in places compared to Tomb Raider 2013, and if this game doesn't feel stronger than both of those titles good points I'd probably wait to get the game cheap. It isn't helped that the whole Mayan setting reminds me a lot of one of the areas of Tomb Raider: Underworld, so it hasn't done much to sell itself to me yet.

I will give credit to its box art though. That shit is gorgeous! :D
Online Profile Quote Top

Fearless Echidna
Member Avatar
Newcomer
Box art is great! Not excited though. TR 2013 was my first PS4 game and while solid I didn’t like how her character was portrayed. I get that it’s an origin story but she was FAR from the badass she was in the originals. I also didn’t like how it was nearly a carbon copy of Uncharted. Was much better in the original where gameplay was more platforming and puzzles than combat.
Offline Profile Quote Top

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

Fearless Echidna
Apr 30 2018, 10:11 PM
Was much better in the original where gameplay was more platforming and puzzles than combat.
Yeah. I can't even remember RotTR having puzzles within its main story that were even close to what Tomb Raider was known for having. I think the best balance Tomb Raider got for combat, platforming and puzzle solving was Tomb Raider 2.
So the official Xbox website put up an article about five things being added or changed for Shadow of the Tomb Raider for anyone interested: 5 Ways Shadow of the Tomb Raider is Evolving the Series' Formula

Utilising the environment more for fights sounds good, as does the tombs getting deadly elements added so they're more than just a stand around and think about it puzzle. The climbing axe rappel is neat, although just feels plucked from Uncharted 4 so it doesn't wow me as much.
Online Profile Quote Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Video-Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme knitted exclusively for UniversalGaming.net