Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Rules Members Calendar Blogs Cards Active Topics Search
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Our Future
Topic Started: May 14 2018, 06:24 PM (797 Views)
Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

For anyone who isn't aware, Brandon announced last week that ZetaBoards will be moving all forums to the Tapatalk platform: http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7021172/1/

Brandon has claimed that popular ZB features will be put into TT, but what they will be and to what extent, no one knows. For example, I don't know if the cards can carry over. I don't know if the themes we have can carry over. I don't know if custom emotes will carry over. Until they state or show otherwise, for now all I know for sure is the migration would take over posts, threads, members, typical stuff, but that would be it. We'd look like a barebones subreddit or something. :rolleyes:

So, what does this mean for UG? Well, a few things:
  1. The Tapatalk platform somehow manages to make itself decent and suitable for us to continue on that platform whenever migrations happen.

2. The Tapatalk platform is still unsuitable and so we have to restart on a new host.

3. All of you tell me this place sucks and should just shut down.

How soon will either option happen? No idea. Migrations have no ETA on them, and I don't want to jump the gun and restart only to see the TT platform turns out to be decent (to note, I currently have no faith or trust in it turning out good). This post is to inform all of you of what is happening, what could happen, and to share your thoughts on the matter.
ONLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

queenzelda
Member Avatar
Lady Queen
I for one think you guys shouldn't stick around on zb's. All the red flags are up pointing to things not going well. I mean the zb dev hasn't said anything & yes the TT support people might be saying all the right things atmo but how much of it is true?

Honestly, I really urge the staff to look into icyboards, their own hosting, & or what have you. I know we're all not very tight, more so with most members not knowing me very well but I do care about the future of this board & others. I'm looking at the httracker; I'm reading what it involves atmo. :3
ONLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

percussive maintenance
Member Avatar
RIP TotalBiscuit.
Honestly I'd rather us move to our own hosting (My offer still stands to help with the installation and set up Moonface).

TapATalk has left a very bad taste in my mouth and that was before IF/ZB was sold to them, and it has only gotten worse since.
Edited by percussive maintenance, May 14 2018, 09:47 PM.
OFFLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

King Atem
Member Avatar
PlayStation King
Tapatalk forums are a downgrade, I know I'm a nobody really, but if UG stays to turn into tt I don't think I'd stick around to see my posts deleted by tt staff who are fans of COD when I'm advising someone to try a better mmo-shooter. :P

ShiraNoMai
Member Avatar
Always Yish*

From my past experience with TT (on the mobile end and recent viewing), I've never seen a more bare-bone experience. I'll have to side with everyone here and say to just move away. I have other feelings, which I've expressed to you personally, but the main opinion here is probably to migrate elsewhere. Everyone seems to be on board with that. :rofl:

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

queenzelda
May 14 2018, 09:44 PM
I for one think you guys shouldn't stick around on zb's. All the red flags are up pointing to things not going well. I mean the zb dev hasn't said anything & yes the TT support people might be saying all the right things atmo but how much of it is true?

Honestly, I really urge the staff to look into icyboards, their own hosting, & or what have you. I know we're all not very tight, more so with most members not knowing me very well but I do care about the future of this board & others. I'm looking at the httracker; I'm reading what it involves atmo. :3
I have to agree that so far, nothing indicates this will go well. I had doubts when Brandon told the staff about this first out of the blue, and even more since it went public.

I have been having a look at IcyBoards, and like what I see so far. It'll take me time to learn their coding to recreate UniV3rse or Woolly World on there, but other than that the rest seems simple to get after spending some time with it and if we ever wanted to move from there to self hosting or another platform, we can just get all the data for $10. So at least if we wanted to or needed to move, we wouldn't be doing a restart for the fourth time.
percussive maintenance
May 14 2018, 09:47 PM
Honestly I'd rather us move to our own hosting (My offer still stands to help with the installation and set up Moonface).

TapATalk has left a very bad taste in my mouth and that was before IF/ZB was sold to them, and it has only gotten worse since.
Self hosting could be something we do down the line. As long as we have a platform we can export data from, then it wouldn't be hard to take that route at any time. I'd rather get to focus on learning the software first before having to also learn anything about self hosting. :P
King Atem
May 14 2018, 10:27 PM
Tapatalk forums are a downgrade, I know I'm a nobody really, but if UG stays to turn into tt I don't think I'd stick around to see my posts deleted by tt staff who are fans of COD when I'm advising someone to try a better mmo-shooter. :P
Yup, it being a downgrade is what every staff member said to Brandon about this before it went public. TT have also had a habit of closing ZB boards at random for stupid things like spam, despite those boards not breaking ZB ToS nor even being spammy. Any incident I know of had the board re-opened, but it has happened a few times. If that can happen before the boards are on TT, I worry about how it would be when they are on TT.
ShiraNoMai
May 14 2018, 11:25 PM
From my past experience with TT (on the mobile end and recent viewing), I've never seen a more bare-bone experience. I'll have to side with everyone here and say to just move away. I have other feelings, which I've expressed to you personally, but the main opinion here is probably to migrate elsewhere. Everyone seems to be on board with that. :rofl:
I have to agree, its current state is as shallow as a puddle for features.
ONLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

Mr EliteL
Member Avatar
Hardcore Gamer

If it was possible now, I'd want to see how Tapatalk would be like after whatever Brandon was going to do with transferring, but I no longer want to wait see that. Besides, you all don't like it, neither do I. I'd rather our UG move on to somewhere else. Hopefully with most of the features we have to be intact someway or another.

I want to by this next weekend have an idea of what we're going to do, and also perhaps have a backup plan. Icyboards is definitely an option. Doesn't have to be set out yet though, unless there is a method to do just that. I need to bloody get on this properly, otherwise I'll deem myself the most useless admin. Would be really cool if we manage to stay together for a while longer.

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

Mr EliteL
May 14 2018, 11:46 PM
If it was possible now, I'd want to see how Tapatalk would be like after whatever Brandon was going to do with transferring, but I no longer want to wait see that. Besides, you all don't like it, neither do I. I'd rather our UG move on to somewhere else. Hopefully with most of the features we have to be intact someway or another.

I want to by this next weekend have an idea of what we're going to do, and also perhaps have a backup plan. Icyboards is definitely an option. Doesn't have to be set out yet though, unless there is a method to do just that. I need to bloody get on this properly, otherwise I'll deem myself the most useless admin. Would be really cool if we manage to stay together for a while longer.
Keep an eye on your email you used for this board (if it's old go update it) and see when you get an email about a preview of this board on TT. I don't know if the initial previews have the things Brandon said TT would get but something to keep an eye on, especially when you're the only one who can check for that email. XD

IcyBoards is free so I already set up a barebones version of this board on it just to see how well I can recreate it on their platform. Jcink seems to be the other option people have mentioned around ZB, which is basically IF but if someone continued to update it. How much more updated to IF it is I don't know entirely.
ONLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

Mr EliteL
Member Avatar
Hardcore Gamer

Ah, will do check my emails then. Man, that's an email I never use now, but can still access it. Nothing at the moment, but I'll change now then.

I'll be looking at Jcink too then.

chloe
Member Avatar
Newcomer
Nothin I've been reading about tapatalk is good. I'm all for moving where ever you wanna move to. I mean, I am new here, so what ever works yo!

Moonface
Member Avatar
Dafuq u doin?

The only good thing TT has over ZB is mobile support, but that doesn't justify losing every other feature ZB has in the process. :P
ONLINE PROFILE QUOTE TOP

King Atem
Member Avatar
PlayStation King
I feel with some people I'm arguing with them for nothing, trying to get them to see the reality of what could come down: i.e.: worse case scenario here. While, with others they can see the writing on the wall & are preparing for the worse. I'm in the same bunker as the worse case scenario people, since I feel I'm being very realistic with my expectations. No more, no less.

Dragon Lord
Member Avatar
Lv. 99 Weeb
Truth be told, the absolute best course of action would be to abandon a forum all together and go with a Discord server. You can pretty much emulate a forum via a Discord server and it is much more convenient and comes with many additional bonuses over a forum.

Though since I'm pretty sure you're adamant on having a forum, then the next best thing would be to just restart as soon as possible. It's not like you're really losing anything important by starting over. Members can rejoin, topics can be posted again and posts can be made back. If you really feel like ZB is going to a dead end, then there really is no reason to wait for it to crash and burn. Since I'm sure better options like vBulletin are out of the picture, you'll have to settle for something like Pro Boards, IcyBoards or Jcink. As for which one is the best option, all three of them are about on the same level. Just ends up being about personal preferences.

Mr EliteL
Member Avatar
Hardcore Gamer

I was thinking about Discord, I'm not sure on the additional bonuses, in that I generally don't know what they could be. Not that it is a bad idea at all, but got no idea how certain things could be implemented. How to get UG Cards on there, plus the hard work Moony has done to design forum themes, and not see them go to waste on what they were made for. Not in a worst case scenario, but if other preferred options end up not working, Discord would be the place to go to.

Smokey
Member Avatar
Super Awesome Gamer
I chose #3. :P Just kidding!!

Restarting would be a tough blow to UG. :( I would hope there'd be a way to convert off Tapatalk to something more suitable. I recommend looking into being self-hosted solutions to be honest.

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: queenzelda
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Site Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Game Night created by Sarah of We Are The Walking Dead