Universal Gaming
Windows 11 - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Windows 11 (/showthread.php?tid=1006)

Pages: 1 2 3

Windows 11 - Moonface - Jun 15th, 2021

Looks like Microsoft is making Windows 11, and some stuff has leaked for it:
https://twitter.com/NTDEV_/status/1404839504121368579
https://twitter.com/NTDEV_/status/1404859118310072325
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1404843837726547971

Hated it when I first saw the blatant Mac OS rip off in the first link, but then I saw the second link after it which makes me feel better about it. I thought Windows 10 was meant to be the last version but I guess not.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Jun 15th, 2021

It was, but times have clearly changed for them. They're allegedly trying to get out of the console race, after all.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jun 16th, 2021

(Jun 15th, 2021, 07:53 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
It was, but times have clearly changed for them. They're allegedly trying to get out of the console race, after all.
Really? Given the recent Bethesda acquisition and the push to get more things onto Xbox/Windows, it doesn't come off that way. I guess they could stop producing consoles and just have the games be on PC, but I can't see how that can make them more money than just keeping the Xbox consoles around, considering Microsoft doesn't tend to sell full PC's and Game Pass lets everyone get access to their games for considerably cheaper than buying them all.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Jun 16th, 2021

Ah, being out of the console market doesn't necessarily mean you stop supporting game development from happening. Besides, they have their Windows platform to still produce for even after Xbox the physical console goes away.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Jun 16th, 2021

Well, based on their current moves, what with pushing Xbox playability onto phones and stuff, is to turn Xbox into another Cloud gaming system. Because, you know, that's totally working for Amazon and Google right now.

Cloud gaming only works as an option alongside physical/digital purchases. There's no point trying to do an entire platform with just the cloud because not everyone likes it, and there are a lot of places that simply lack the internet infrastructure to support it. I feel like there's been so many poor attempts with cloud gaming that any future attempts at it will struggle just for the bad stigma attached to it.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Jun 16th, 2021

Oh boy a new windows! I can't wait for it to want more connectivity with my phone and maybe my consoles while its at it! Oh oh oh and maybe it need access to my toaster you never know when I'll want to tweet about my exciting life toasting bread! Truly we live in a magical age where technology is truly queen! Gasp

Silliness aside I am not really interested in this at all Windows 10 runs really well and frankly I don't really seem the point of the move even if they offer a free upgrade for it at least until Windows 10 is no longer supported which they tend to do at a very gradual place anyways.

Edit: Thinking about it more this windows update is what the PS4 ui is to the PS5 UI similiar but simplified.

Windows 10 is apparently ending support in 2025. Whether I switch to 11 depends on if it's decent or a pile of shit like Windows 8 was.
Also you mentioning the PS5 UI, I hope W11 isn't a successor in the way the PS5 UI was to PS4. It's not bad, but there are some baffling decisions with it that I really disliked when I got my hands on it back during my Alabama trip.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Jun 16th, 2021

That would be the perfect time to replace my computer then thank you Microsoft for looking out for me! Grin I don't really like the PS5 UI more I like the task bar, but it also kinda sucks that all the social features are there now. Eh

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jun 24th, 2021

Saw that Microsoft officially announced Windows 11 today: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/introducing-windows-11/
I'm surprised they don't seem to mention the ability to change the taskbar to the classic layout so as to appease the people who won't like the new layout (such as me). I hope it turns out good but Microsoft has a track record of every other OS being poor compared to the ones either side of it (Vista and 8, for example).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 24th, 2021

I saw rumors about Windows 11 a couple of weeks ago. Made me chuckle a bit because I recall Microsoft boasting about how Windows 10 would be the final OS because it was built in a way where they could just keep it up-to-date at all times. At least, I believe something like that had been mentioned when 10 first was revealed. Could be wrong though, that was a while ago.

Anyways. I'm okay with it looking different. I like when designs change, it keeps things interesting and fresh. So I'll at least keep an open mind about it until it actually releases, and if Windows 10 users get to upgrade to 11 for free like we did 8 > 10, then I'll judge it after using it and seeing how it is in action.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jun 24th, 2021

Yeah, I was under the impression it was the last Windows OS as well, but hopefully they're just building off what worked for 10 and refining it. I just hope things like Teams can be disabled because I don't care for it and wouldn't want it on my taskbar all the time.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 24th, 2021

I suppose we'll find out eventually, haha. I didn't read the announcement, but did they give an ETA on when we can expect it to release? Or at least when people might be getting invites to test out a beta of it (if they do that again)?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Jun 24th, 2021

I feel like Windows 11 is just going to be very meh I don't really like the phone OS aesthetic that they really want to bring to it. I know Windows 10 has that type of stuff on it, but I generally associate mobile stuff with badly designed and money pinching in every way possible so seeing that trying to be brought to the PC market really leaves a distaste to me for it. Plus they even let you run mobile apps on it overall I have a feeling I won't like Windows 11 when I eventually upgrade to it and I'm sure some people actually wanted this and I can probably just ignore it, but I suspect that website will be bothering me about their frickin apps even on my PC now.

PS: Moony when is UG getting its app? Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 25th, 2021

So Monocle just told me on Discord that one of the details about Windows 11 is that it will run Android apps natively, meaning I'd no longer need an emulator like Bluestacks to be able to play Azur Lane and Arknights on my computer. Could just download and run them completely naturally on the system.

If that proves to be true, I am already 10,000% hyped for Windows 11 and I want it right now.