Universal Gaming
First Games by Platform/Genre? - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: First Games by Platform/Genre? (/showthread.php?tid=1122)

First Games by Platform/Genre? - Moonface - Jul 30th, 2022

I was randomly thinking of what the first games were I had for each of the systems I own and was curious what everyone else's are. I also figured I'd expand it into genres too because I thought it could be interesting seeing what each of us had as our first experience of a particular genre of game. ^_^

• PlayStation - Street Racer, Rayman
  • PlayStation 2 - Midnight Club, Silent Scope
  • PlayStation 3 - MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man
  • PlayStation 4 - Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Final Fantasy Type 0
  • PlayStation 5 - Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut, Resident Evil Village, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Demon's Souls
  • Nintendo 3DS - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Pokémon Y, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
  • PC - Minecraft
  • Steam - Left 4 Dead 2

Since the PS1 was my first console, Street Racer is my first racing game; however, Rayman is not actually my first platformer. That one goes to Sonic The Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis, which I played both at a hospital and on loan (along with the console) from a family member. I'll do a list of my first games by genre when I can remember more of them. Tongue

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - ShiraNoMai - Jul 30th, 2022

I'd have to really dig deep into some of my memories to remember what these all were, but I do know that I was hand-me-downed my Super Nintendo, Nintendo64 and PlayStation 2. The GameBoy Color was my first all-mine console (GameCube if you don't count handhelds)

My first game ever would have to have been on the Super Nintendo, and I honestly can't tell you what it was. It's likely Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but The Jungle Book, Aladdin, and The Lion King are high contenders.

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Moonface - Aug 1st, 2022

(Jul 30th, 2022, 09:41 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
My first game ever would have to have been on the Super Nintendo, and I honestly can't tell you what it was. It's likely Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but The Jungle Book, Aladdin, and The Lion King are high contenders.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those three for you, since if all four of those were in a line-up I would expect the recognizable Disney games to grab the attention of a child over Mario unless they knew of the latter beforehand.

Decided to go through my memory banks for what I think are the first games I played by genre:
  • Racing: Street Racer (PS1)
  • Platformer: Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis)
  • Fighting: Tekken (PS1)
  • Shooter: Alien Trilogy (PS1)
  • Horror: Nightmare Creatures (PS1)
  • Stealth: Metal Gear Solid 3 HD (PS3)
  • RPG: Pokémon Y (3DS)
  • Metroidvania: Hollow Knight (NS)
  • Sports: Street Skater 2 (PS1)
Might expand some of these into stuff like kart racer, JRPG, ARPG, etc. just to see what that looks like, and I'll probably try and do first game by genre within each platform too since it feels a bit dull that my list is mostly PS1 games. XD

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Dragon Lord - Aug 2nd, 2022

Oh man, this is gonna be hard to remember nearly 30 years back...

Atari - Frogger (Pretty sure)
SNES - I can't say for sure on this one, but it was either Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3 (via Super Mario All-Stars), The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Sega Gensis - The Lost Vikings
Nintendo 64 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
PlayStation - Final Fantasy VII
PlayStation 2 - Kingdom Hearts
Gamecube - Super Smash Bros Melee
Gameboy - Pokemon Red
Gameboy Color - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Gameboy Advance - Not sure on this one, either Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Pokemon Sapphire
DS - Pokemon Diamond
3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening, I think
PlayStation 3 - Demon's Souls
Xbox 360 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
PSP - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
PS Vita - Ys: Memories of Celceta
PS4 - Bloodborne
Nintendo Switch - Octopath Traveler
PS5 - Demon's Souls Remake
Steam - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Sorry everything is horribly out of order, just listed them as I could remember. Pretty sure I got most of them down accurately. 3DS was the hardest to think of. I don't believe there was any Pokemon game for it upon release, and I'm pretty sure I didn't wait until X/Y dropped to get a 3DS... Pretty sure it was Fire Emblem Awakening that sparked me to pick up my first 3DS, like 90% sure.

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Mr EliteL - Aug 6th, 2022

Platform

Atari 2600 - Not sure exactly, possibly Combat or Space Invaders
PlayStation - Not sure either, likely Road Rash or Tekken, or Worms
PlayStation 2 - Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance 1 (don't have anymore, swapped in to get the next Advance game or something, SILLY CHOICE)
GameCube - Super Smash Bros. Melee (friend's copy before I got my own GC but same if I'm saying what I own)
PlayStation 3 - Probably Resistance: Fall Of Man
DS - New Super Mario Bros.
Wii - Wii Sports or Rayman Raving Rabbids
3DS - Mario Kart 7
PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Steam - PAC-MAN 256
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or SSBU
PlayStation 5 - Genshin Impact

Genres

Action-Adventure: Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Atari 2600)
Shooter: Combat (Atari 2600)
Shoot 'em Up: Space Invaders (Atari 2600)
Strategy: Worms (PS1)
Racing: Road Rash (PS1)
Sports: FIFA '98 (PS1)
Fighting: Tekken (PS1)
Puzzle: Bust-A-Move 2 (PS1) - probably not
Vehicular Combat: Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)
Platformer: Rayman (PS1) - maybe not
Horror: Nightmare Creatures (PS1)
Beat 'em Up: The Simpsons Arcade Game (PC)
Tactical RPG: Luminous Arc II (DS)
Rogue-like: Izuna The Unemployed Ninja (DS)
RPG: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - so late I was into actual RPG. Sad
Action RPG: Dragon's Dogma (PS3)

EDIT: Worms I played before Army Men Toys In Space.

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Moonface - Aug 11th, 2022

@Dragon Lord: I find it interesting to see that once the Souls games started, that was the first game you got for every PlayStation console from that point onwards. Was that intentional or just a coincidence of one of those games having released when you happened to buy each of those systems?

(Aug 6th, 2022, 06:27 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Wii - Wii Sports or Rayman Raving Rabbids
You poor thing if that one is the first one. XD

Steam - PAC-MAN 256
I recall this was because we both thought it had online co-op and had intended to play this game together via that method, so I'm curious, would you have still bought this game if we had known upfront it was only local co-op?

Fighting: Tekken (PS1)
Horror: Nightmare Creatures (PS1)
Interesting that we both share this as our first game in those genres. Hmm 
We'd share Rayman too if I had never played Sonic before getting my PS1.

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Dragon Lord - Aug 12th, 2022

Demon's Souls was my first PS3 game because I originally bought a PS3 exclusively for it. I had played Dark Souls on Xbox 360 before that and after learning of Demon's Souls existing, I of course had to get it and play it after how much I absolutely loved Dark Souls.

My PS4 was originally purchased because of Bloodborne as well. I held off on getting a PS4 up until that point, but once Fromsoft announced BB, I knew that a PS4 was in my future. Coincidentally, Idea Factory International announced they'd be localizing their first PS4 game - Omega Quintet - at around the same time Bloodborne came out, which gave me two games to look forward to playing when I get my PS4. IFI being the NA branch of Idea Factory/Compile Heart in Japan, who are the makers of the Hypderdimension Neptunia games, as you may remember I am quite a huge fan of.

I was actually wrong on my PS5 game though. I actually booted up and played Genshin on my PS5 before playing Demon's Souls. Though I don't know if I want to count that considering I had been playing Genshin long-term before getting my PS5, where as Demon's Souls is a game that I had to have my PS5 first to even play. :thinking:

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Mr EliteL - Aug 18th, 2022

Realised I got Strategy wrong for my first game played, so changed it to Worms and added the same game to another possibility for PS1. Still don't know which out of the three.

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - Moonface - Aug 19th, 2022

(Aug 12th, 2022, 03:23 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Demon's Souls was my first PS3 game because I originally bought a PS3 exclusively for it. I had played Dark Souls on Xbox 360 before that and after learning of Demon's Souls existing, I of course had to get it and play it after how much I absolutely loved Dark Souls.

My PS4 was originally purchased because of Bloodborne as well. I held off on getting a PS4 up until that point, but once Fromsoft announced BB, I knew that a PS4 was in my future. Coincidentally, Idea Factory International announced they'd be localizing their first PS4 game - Omega Quintet - at around the same time Bloodborne came out, which gave me two games to look forward to playing when I get my PS4. IFI being the NA branch of Idea Factory/Compile Heart in Japan, who are the makers of the Hypderdimension Neptunia games, as you may remember I am quite a huge fan of.

I was actually wrong on my PS5 game though. I actually booted up and played Genshin on my PS5 before playing Demon's Souls. Though I don't know if I want to count that considering I had been playing Genshin long-term before getting my PS5, where as Demon's Souls is a game that I had to have my PS5 first to even play. :thinking:
Ah, so Demon's Souls wasn't your first Souls game. I just assumed it was because of it being the first one. Sweat
Yeah, I don't think I'd personally count a cross-generation game as my first of a console if I had already been playing it on the previous console of the same family. It would have to be an instance like MK8 where I played it on Wii U, but the Switch version is technically a different game and not a 1:1 port so I would make that my first Switch game, which I realised I hadn't listed in my earlier post so yeah, my first Switch game was MK8D.
Wii U was Wind Waker HD since that came with the system, but I haven't actually played that so although it was the first game Shira and I had for the system I think the first game I played on it was Zombi U. Hmm

(Aug 18th, 2022, 11:15 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Realised I got Strategy wrong for my first game played, so changed it to Worms and added the same game to another possibility for PS1. Still don't know which out of the three.
Worms 3D might possibly be the first Strategy game I played, since I can't think of any others in the genre I've played besides that. Hmm I remember that game vividly for the first time I played it because I was playing with you and didn't know the controls, so I proceeded to jump straight into a body of water and kill my worm on my turn. ROFL

RE: First Games by Platform/Genre? - ShiraNoMai - Aug 19th, 2022

(Aug 19th, 2022, 01:46 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Wii U was Wind Waker HD since that came with the system, but I haven't actually played that so although it was the first game Shira and I had for the system I think the first game I played on it was Zombi U. Hmm

Yeah despite Wind Waker HD being the on-board game, I didn't play that until a little later. Definitely played the shit out of Super Mario 3D World cuz that had just come out and we bought that alongside the console.

My photographic evidence of this occurrence: [Image: cju4AJ8.png]