Universal Gaming
Octopath Traveler II - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Video Games (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Octopath Traveler II (/showthread.php?tid=1149)

Pages: 1 2

Octopath Traveler II - Moonface - Sep 13th, 2022

The sequel to Octopath Traveler has been officially announced during today's Nintendo Direct!

Eight new travelers journey through the land of Solistia, each with their own story to tell:
  • The Warrior, Hikari
  • The Dancer, Agnea
  • The Merchant, Partitio
  • The Scholar, Osvald
  • The Thief, Throné
  • The Cleric, Temenos
  • The Hunter, Ochette
  • The Apothecary, Castti
What will happen when their paths intertwine, and where will their adventures lead them … and you?

Octopath Traveler 2 will release on February 24, 2023!

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - queenzelda - Sep 13th, 2022

Atmo I'm unsure if I'm even interested in this second Octopath Traveler game. I didn't even finish the first one cause I got bored with it tbh. >_<

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Mr EliteL - Sep 14th, 2022

Oh damn, the sequel? Well, perhaps not directly anyway.

Hmm, same classes. Wondered if they'd change it up a bit, well I suppose they can change up the skills and such learned. Also wonder if a character will "click" with me like Cyrus did first off then eventually leading me to liking all 8. Hope there's more and better interaction between the eight this time around. Need to see some more or at least a try demo closer to release.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Sep 15th, 2022

(Sep 13th, 2022, 10:18 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I didn't even finish the first one cause I got bored with it tbh. >_<
I've yet to finish the first game either, but that's because I took a break from it and then just forget to ever go back to it. XD

(Sep 14th, 2022, 11:20 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Hmm, same classes. Wondered if they'd change it up a bit, well I suppose they can change up the skills and such learned. Also wonder if a character will "click" with me like Cyrus did first off then eventually leading me to liking all 8. Hope there's more and better interaction between the eight this time around. Need to see some more or at least a try demo closer to release.
Yeah, the classes being the same bothers me a little bit just because I'm hoping they don't feel too similar to OT1. Not sure what other classes they could've done instead though because I'm not very knowledgeable on RPG classes. Sweat
Same with interaction; I get why it gets limited to banter so that nothing gets screwed up by your party choice, but I would like if some character quests at their third or fourth stage could potentially overlap with another, so that everything happening in the world isn't independent from each other, especially when some quests in OT1 take place in the same town for different characters. To save anyone the trouble, here's a list I put together of characters who share a location for their chapters:
  • Ophilia and Alfyn - Saintsbridge C2 and C3 (respectively) / Goldshore C3 and C2 (respectively)
  • Cyrus and Tressa - Quarrycrest C2 (both)
  • Cyrus and H'aanit - Stoneguard C3 and C2 (respectively)
  • Tressa and Olberic - Victors Hollow C3 and C2 (respectively)
  • Olberic and Therion - Wellspring C3 (both)
  • Primrose and H'aanit - Stillsnow C2 and C3 (respectively)
  • Primrose and Therion - Noblecourt C3 and C2 (respectively)
Interestingly, two instances have characters share the same chapter number in the same location, and one instance has characters sharing locations for all their quests (albeit not in the same order). It's a little hard to believe that none of these quests ever intertwine at all and I'd like to see that altered for this game.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - ShiraNoMai - Sep 16th, 2022

The trailer did point out "intertwining stories" as a headline for this upcoming title, so there's definitely a high chance of that since I'm sure that was everyone's largest complaint with the game.

Looking forward to this, I think. I would like to beat the first before this launches (so soon!) but it's wishful thinking with me and RPGs lately.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Sep 17th, 2022

(Sep 16th, 2022, 06:36 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
The trailer did point out "intertwining stories" as a headline for this upcoming title, so there's definitely a high chance of that since I'm sure that was everyone's largest complaint with the game.
I just watched the main overview trailer for the first game to see how it presented the story aspect, and it just says eight separate tales that can all be experienced in one playthrough and your party can be built around your preferred play-style so this trailer making that point hopefully does mean better overlapping between characters.

I can't really think of anything other than that which I wanted to see improved over the original game. Hmm

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Dragon Lord - Sep 19th, 2022

Team Asano is like the one sub-division of Square Enix that you never have to worry about releasing a bad game. Every game they come out with is gold -- The Bravely Default series, Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy...

This game will join that list of gems. The only thing they need to do to make this game great is to make the stories interconnected, but even if they don't and it ends up the same as the first Octopath Traveler, it's still going to be one of the best JRPGs to release next year.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - queenzelda - Sep 20th, 2022

(Sep 15th, 2022, 10:30 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Sep 13th, 2022, 10:18 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I didn't even finish the first one cause I got bored with it tbh. >_<
I've yet to finish the first game either, but that's because I took a break from it and then just forget to ever go back to it. XD
Same, same. XD

(Sep 16th, 2022, 06:36 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Yea, a lot of my problem with the first game is that the stories DID NOT intertwine. So if the dancer did something the night wouldn't like he didn't respond to it. I think that's the reason I didn't finish the game.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Sep 23rd, 2022

If anyone here wants to get this game on Steam, it can currently be pre-ordered for 50% off via Humble Bundle as part of Square Enix's TGS sale: https://universalgaming.net/showthread.php?tid=983&pid=24133#pid24133

Edit: Turns out this was an error on Humble's part and the deal has been removed...

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Nov 2nd, 2022

Octopath Traveler 2 | The Merchant & The Scholar Trailer
Introducing two of the eight new protagonists, “Partitio the Merchant” and Osvald the Scholar,” the new battle mechanic “Latent Powers” and new ways to travel across the continent!

I can't find where this info has come from, but I have seen comments that this game will have the characters stories intersect and they will converse outside of banter. Haven't had time to watch the trailer yet but just hearing that one of the big things I wanted changed from the first game is being addressed makes me happy. Smile

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Mr EliteL - Nov 2nd, 2022

The two characters haven't clicked with me yet but can see they potentially could if I play. Want to see the rest soon if they're going show them off like this before launch. And yes, it's great the characters will interact more with each other this time around. Still, I do adore the first 8 travellers so it'll be hard to beat them in my opinion. Not that these new 8 should but I'll be surprised if I end up liking them more.

Also notice the merchant class has taken the ability of the cleric in getting NPCs to join him and the scholar this time has the thief's...thieving. XD

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Nov 5th, 2022

Finally watched the trailer (albeit without sound) and I like how abilities have moved to different characters based on their personality and back story. Partitio being able to hire help feels like an extension of Tressa's ability in the first game to pay for a particular type of ally to attack during battles, except now you pick them yourself from the overworld.

Also it seems some other characters had their abilities shared via this games Japanese Twitter and the official Japanese website at some point, so here's the other info known so far:

I never caught in the trailer that Path Actions have a day and night option, so that's neat to see.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Mr EliteL - Nov 5th, 2022

Ah I also didn't notice there were two variants one for a day and another of night. So that means there'll be more this time possibly? Ugh I wasn't fully paying attention, the thieving for Osvald you have to fight the NPC to successfully mug them.  Doh

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Moonface - Nov 5th, 2022

I don't know if the trailer mentions day/night abilities; I only caught it because for some reason Hikari and Agnea both have their stuff on the official website but neither of them got a trailer yet to show it like Partitio and Osvald. I just hope that abilities being tied to a time of day doesn't just become a nuisance where it forces me to use the inn to get to the time of day I need and otherwise isn't really worth being split apart into times. I'm hoping there's a lot of NPC's outside of towns to use those day/night abilities on so that time management is made crucial by not having the ability to just skip time at an inn.

Thinking of it, does anyone remember if the first game had any differences with anything based on time of day? I forget if different enemies would appear based on that or if everything was always the same and the day/night cycle was purely aesthetic.

RE: Octopath Traveler 2 - Mr EliteL - Nov 5th, 2022

Ah yeah hope not and that it's just two abilities the characters can use any time of day, but from the trailer Purchase and Scrutinize were shown for day where Hire and Mug were at night so looks to be true. Yay for (partly) unnecessary in-game time manipulation.

Unfortunately I don't remember if there was anything different in the original. Bah for me not playing it recently to know.  Doh