Universal Gaming
Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? (/showthread.php?tid=15)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Maniakkid25 - Jul 15th, 2023

Survivin' -- Bastille

My store has put this song into rotation, and I was initially surprised to hear it was a Bastille song. I'm just more used to their more bombastic songs like "Pompeii" and "Happier", I suppose. It's also the first time I've heard of a non-album Single getting significant airplay since My Bloody Valentine's "You Made Me Realise".

Also, I know I can relate to that chorus quite a little too well.

Quote:What can I say? I'm survivin'
Crawling out these sheets to see another day
What can I say? I'm survivin'
And I'm gonna be fine, I'm gonna be fine,
I think I'll be fine

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Jul 22nd, 2023

@Maniakkid25: Huh, I can't say I've noticed that song on the radio in my store yet. Have noticed a lot of other new additions though.

Black - Pearl Jam

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Jul 25th, 2023

Right now I'm listening to various songs from Bring Me The Horizon just to see what ones grab my attention quickly, and I came across this:

Kingslayer (feat. BABYMETAL) - Bring Me The Horizon

Definitely an interesting song if there was a word to put on it for my first impression. XD

For the songs I've liked out of those I've listened to to put them in my liked songs on Spotify it's hard to pick a favourite from a good chunk of them. Right now I'm really obsessed with Sleepwalking but there's some other strong contenders to beat it for my favourite song from BMTH.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Maniakkid25 - Jul 30th, 2023

Birthday Cake -- Cibo Matto

Like a lot of good songs I listen to, I have a story. Cibo Matto are an American band founded by a pair of Japanese expatriates. This peculiar song is about a mother making a birthday cake for her son and daughter-in-law...badly. At one point she begins chanting "Extra sugar! Extra Salt!/Extra oil and MSG!" to give an idea of how bad this cake is. But even better, this song wouldn't be anywhere near my radar if it weren't on the awesome soundtrack of Jet Set Radio Future. Seriously, that has quite the selection of bangers (and one very annoying song because the level plays it on non-stop repeat).

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Aug 1st, 2023

This Must Be It - Röyksopp

And because I feel like doing it after remembering the feature exists on Spotify, here's everything I actually listened to today during my drives to and from work. Tongue

1. Miracle, Baby - Nothing But Thieves
  2. Crawling - Linkin Park
  3. Coming Back Again - Kings of Leon
  4. Vicarious - Tool
  5. Love From The Other Side - Fall Out Boy
  6. Eat You Alive - Limp Bizkit
  7. Body in Motion - CoLD SToRAGE
  8. Stay Together For The Kids - blink-182
  9. Sextape - Deftones
  10. Duality - Slipknot
  11. Tiffany Blews - Fall Out Boy
  12. This Must Be It - Röyksopp

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Maniakkid25 - Aug 4th, 2023

Hey, I recognize that band name. They do a pretty cool cover of Go With the Flow by QotSA. Found it when I trying to find the Eagles of Death Metal cover of it on Spotify (it's not there).

Shall Never Surrender -- Tetsuya Shibata feat. Shyboy (credited to CAPCOM Sound Team on Spotify)

This is the end credits version of Nero's battle theme from DMC 4 (if you're looking for just the battle mix of it, it's titled "The Time Has Come"). It's a pretty interesting mix of the battle theme crossed with a more uplifting theme as expected of an end credits theme.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Aug 4th, 2023

(Aug 4th, 2023, 08:59 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Hey, I recognize that band name. They do a pretty cool cover of Go With the Flow by QotSA. Found it when I trying to find the Eagles of Death Metal cover of it on Spotify (it's not there).
Checking out the cover right now, and it's certainly an interesting take on the song, more so for me because I've never heard a male vocalist of any kind in any of their other songs I listen to and was expecting it to be another female vocalist.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Maniakkid25 - Aug 8th, 2023

Little Thoughts -- Bloc Party

Ah, Bloc Party. Don't really have much to say about this song. Just a fun little ditty -- at least, as fun as subject matters can get with Bloc Party; the song appears to be about a relationship of some kind, and the fact that it's not actively breaking down automatically makes it much happier than most of Bloc Party's material from even just the album its attributed to (Silent Alarm covers such topics as growing up a failure, talent show drama, failing relationships, and -- my personal favorite -- the hubris of man).

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - ShiraNoMai - Aug 10th, 2023

Oh yeah that band. They do "Helicopter" right? That song jams hard. Speaking of songs that go hard...

Perspectives - Hands Like Houses

"All my life, I've tried letting you inside
To see the world through my eyes
And all I see, is time I've wasted"

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Kyng - Aug 10th, 2023

Looks marvellous, but since it costs over £250, I'm probably not going to buy one of these!

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Aug 11th, 2023

@ShiraNoMai: Where'd ya find that song? Haven't heard you play it in the car or see you mention them in any way before now. Unsure
Although....listening to it it sounds weirdly familiar so maybe you did play it before and I'm having a brain fart? XD

As well as the song Shira posted, I also listened to this before coming into this thread so I'll still put this since it was what I was originally going to post:

Under The Influence - The Chemical Brothers
3:04 to 3:22 builds up to and delivers such a good drop. Grin

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Maniakkid25 - Aug 12th, 2023

(Aug 10th, 2023, 04:38 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Oh yeah that band. They do "Helicopter" right? That song jams hard.
Yeah, that's the one, though actually listening to the album it's from, Silent Alarm, I think it's actually not a great representation of them as a band. Like, if I met someone who had never heard of Bloc Party, I'd honestly probably play Like Eating Glass, The Pioneers, or The Price of Gas. Those songs do a bit more to reflect the unique usage of their instrumentation, while Helicopter is a pretty straight Garage Rock song. The Price of Gas gets bonus points for using one of the band members stomping around on wood blocks to make a "men marching" sound that really drives the point home about the song's meaning (keep in mind the song was written in 2004, and it should click for you). And speaking of Bloc Party...

Luno -- Death From Above 1979

I'm gonna credit it as it should be, rather than use the actual credit ("Luno (Bloc Party vs Death From Above 1979) -- Bloc Party), because the actual credit is confusing. It makes it look like it's a mashup, when it's just a straight cover. It was just used on the Silent Alarm Remixed album because... reasons, I guess. But it's a very interesting cover. The original has a rather frantic tempo and bassline, befitting the subject ("you've changed, and not in a good way"), while the guitar work is very floaty. This cover is a slower tempo, and much grittier (probably because the "guitar" is actually a heavily distorted bass guitar; DOA1979 only has a drummer and bassist), and even has a lyric change for the better, though it's incredible small. I'll save that for a post in the "Favorite Lyrics" topic, though, because this is already a long enough Wall O' Text™

Sidenote: did not know that the site auto did the superscript when you type "TM" in parentheses. Very nice.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Aug 12th, 2023

(Aug 12th, 2023, 01:26 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Sidenote: did not know that the site auto did the superscript when you type "TM" in parentheses. Very nice.
To be honest with you neither did I. Seems that works for anything that gets made into a certain symbol, such as C in parentheses making ©. Hmm

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - ShiraNoMai - Aug 12th, 2023

(Aug 11th, 2023, 11:46 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@ShiraNoMai: Where'd ya find that song? Haven't heard you play it in the car or see you mention them in any way before now. Unsure
Although....listening to it it sounds weirdly familiar so maybe you did play it before and I'm having a brain fart? XD

Considering I played the song to you before specifically to highlight a discussion we were having relating to "accents in singing", yes you were indeed having a brainfart Tongue

I'll take that Bloc Party recc, Maniak, and give those songs a listen.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Listened To? - Moonface - Aug 14th, 2023

Sleepwalking - Bring Me The Horizon

Maybe I shouldn't have listened to this song in the car this morning because it turned out I had very little patience this morning and this song being rather aggressive probably didn't help.