Universal Gaming
Your views on the emulation world - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Your views on the emulation world (/showthread.php?tid=154)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Your views on the emulation world - lp0 on fire - Jul 12th, 2018

(Jul 12th, 2018, 06:08 PM)Monocle Wrote:
(Jul 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM)Grungie Wrote:
Sadly only one of those Tales games got officially translated.

Well, Destiny was localized on PSX and Phantasia was localized on gba but man... Kangaroo. lmao.

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Monocle - Jul 12th, 2018

(Jul 12th, 2018, 07:23 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 12th, 2018, 06:08 PM)Monocle Wrote:
Well, Destiny was localized on PSX and Phantasia was localized on gba but man... Kangaroo. lmao.

There's that great ol' fashioned localization quality. Thank goodness things have come a loooong way, especially in the dubbing world

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Nightingale - Jul 13th, 2018

The LUNAR games have some interesting localization choices...

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Moonface - Oct 12th, 2021

I couldn't determine whether to put this in here or the entitlement thread, because it kinda falls into both, but two days ago Kotaku thought it would be a smart idea to write an article about Metroid Dread being emulated already, and outright encouraged the behaviour: Source

The article was edited about a day later when the internet called Kotaku out for the article, which even links to the emulation tools needed to emulate Dread. The article then ends by praising pirates and encouraging people to emulate all of the Metroid games, which in Kotaku's defense are harder to access because of their age and the hardware needed to play them. But there is no way emulation is okay for a game released two days ago. In my opinion emulation should be to play games that aren't easily accessible anymore, and not for a game that isn't even a week old yet. Not that I'd call it an excuse but it's not like Switch's are like rocking horse shit to get a hold of like PS5's and XSX's are.

If Kotaku get any review copies from Nintendo though, they should really be blacklisted for that article. By all means, write about how people have already managed to emulate the game but don't as a "professional publication" basically hand everyone the keys to the car. Errm

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Nightingale - Oct 12th, 2021

Oh, wow!

Yeah, that's fucking irresponsible, man.

BUT the whole thing *would* have been defensible had they not linked to the tools required to do the hacking... that was taking things too far and even some sites DEDICATED to emulation wouldn't make it that easy for you, simply because that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Maniakkid25 - Oct 12th, 2021

Inb4 James Stephanie Sterling brought this type of ire on themselves YEARS before Kotaku. But yeah, bad idea, Kotaku. That tightrope can slice you right in half if you aren't careful.

(Oct 12th, 2021, 02:29 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Inb4 James Stephanie Sterling brought this type of ire on themselves YEARS before Kotaku. But yeah, bad idea, Kotaku. That tightrope can slice you right in half if you aren't careful.
I'm not familiar with this. I assume that's the full name of Jim Sterling but beyond that I don't have a clue about what you're referring to. Tongue

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Monocle - Oct 12th, 2021

yeah I heard about that article and after they did it, tons of sites did. pcgamer was one of them.

I'm huge on emulation but I'm not about to emulate new shit. that's beyond ridiculous. Besides, most of my emulation is to play improved versions of older games because fans are a passionate group and IP owners aren't doing shit with their stuff.

PLUS I FUCKING LOVE METROID. DON'T DO THIS. THEY FINALLY MADE A NEW 2D GAME. DON'T DISCOURAGE THEM WITH THIS SHIT. FUCK FUCK FUCK

(Oct 12th, 2021, 04:30 AM)Monocle Wrote:
yeah I heard about that article and after they did it, tons of sites did. pcgamer was one of them.

I'm huge on emulation but I'm not about to emulate new shit. that's beyond ridiculous. Besides, most of my emulation is to play improved versions of older games because fans are a passionate group and IP owners aren't doing shit with their stuff.

PLUS I FUCKING LOVE METROID. DON'T DO THIS. THEY FINALLY MADE A NEW 2D GAME. DON'T DISCOURAGE THEM WITH THIS SHIT. FUCK FUCK FUCK
Wait, other sites started doing what Kotaku initially did because they saw their actions as a signal they can do it too? Blink

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Monocle - Oct 13th, 2021

@Moonface

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Moonface - Oct 13th, 2021

Geez. I get those sites are all just trying to capitalize on the Kotaku article being hot for traffic but surely they could've done it without doing the same errors Kotaku did in the first place. Errm

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Nightingale - Oct 13th, 2021

Kudos to PCGamer for actually playing it safe with its title.

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Moonface - Oct 13th, 2021

(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:25 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Shame the article itself is no better than the original. It links to both emulators, and ends the article with statements that encourage emulating the game:
PC Gamer Wrote:
...but if you try playing Metroid Dread on Switch and find the controls cramp your hands, or you really want to tinker with the resolution and unlock the framerate, it's nice to be able to, er, switch to PC.
I wonder if there's any official publication that actually just discusses the game already got emulated without outright selling the concept to people.

RE: Your views on the emulation world - Nightingale - Oct 13th, 2021

(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:33 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Oct 13th, 2021, 04:25 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Shame the article itself is no better than the original. It links to both emulators, and ends the article with statements that encourage emulating the game:
PC Gamer Wrote:
...but if you try playing Metroid Dread on Switch and find the controls cramp your hands, or you really want to tinker with the resolution and unlock the framerate, it's nice to be able to, er, switch to PC.
I wonder if there's any official publication that actually just discusses the game already got emulated without outright selling the concept to people.

That's a tricky balance, man.

I remember when the first GameBoy emulators were announced, never again did I think about buying actual hardware.

Once something's able to be emulated reliably, that's a sale in and on itself. It is a total game-changer.

RE: Your views on the emulation world - ShiraNoMai - Nov 9th, 2021

I'd get it for places that have a hard time accessing the hardware to play the games (i.e. Brazil, China, etc) or if you're in dire straits (unstable income) it'd be a nice alternative, but for those that make enough to reasonably afford these hard-effort projects, you should absolutely support your hobby.

Of course, emulation of older, harder to access hardware (vintage/retro) where the original publisher is no longer making/supporting them, completely understandable. New hardware? Come on now.