Universal Gaming
Thanksgiving 2023 - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Thanksgiving 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=1662)

Thanksgiving 2023 - Moonface - Nov 22nd, 2023

I was going to make this tomorrow but I'm too curious about what plans anyone who celebrates this has for tomorrow to wait. Tongue

For me I'll be going to my mother-in-laws since she always hosts Thanksgiving, and to make the workload easier everyone is bringing something to contribute to the meal so it all doesn't fall on one person to make everything. I'm bringing along Yorkshire Puddings that I bought frozen this weekend from the British store in the area since they're a British thing that goes well with a Thanksgiving meal and everyone in the family fell in love with them when I brought them along the first time; although initially everyone was wary and confused by them. XD
I expect the meats will be ham and turkey again like it is every year, although I won't be bothering with the turkey because every year I always get disappointed by it. It's just so rare to find turkey that gets cooked properly and doesn't end up dry. Errm

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Mr EliteL - Nov 22nd, 2023

Ah-ha, you have taught them the way of Yorkshire Pudding, yes.

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Moonface - Nov 23rd, 2023

So I just started watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and saw they added a balloon based on an NFT character that was voted in by the public. I've never wanted to see a balloon deflate so much in my life...

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - ShiraNoMai - Nov 23rd, 2023

It's unfortunate that the Luffy/One Piece one had the deflate issue. The hat was all floppy by the time it got to 34th Street Sad

Got a weird half cold I'm fighting. Just an annoying cough and no other symptoms strangely. Presuming it's because my body is fighting it off. Just sucks cuz I gotta play super safe with keeping folk healthy and not spread anything. COVID tested this morning and it was clean, but who knows. More than likely a cold. No one I know has anything

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Moonface - Nov 24th, 2023

Just left my family Thanksgiving gathering and I think this might be the first year ever where no one got horribly drunk or brought up politics. Never thought I'd see the day that would happen honestly. LOL

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - ShiraNoMai - Nov 24th, 2023

Yeah it was amazingly pleasant this year. That, I'm thankful for lmao

Really hoping I stayed away from folks enough to not spread anything to them. I did my best.

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Karo - Nov 24th, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving to all the friends! and mine was quite pleasant too really.

Though I have yet to see anyone really bring up politics at my thanksgiving and I feel like I'm missing out. But it seem this year I am not missing out cause we all are! Grin

RE: What Does X Make You Think Of? - ShiraNoMai - Nov 24th, 2023

Consider yourself lucky, it's not a fun position to be in when you're constantly belittled and looked down upon for existing ya know lol

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Dragon Lord - Nov 24th, 2023

I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving. I don't care about the holiday, I just care about all the great sales on tech stuff that surrounds it, so my Thanksgiving was spent researching a bunch of items I was interested in and trying to figure out which ones I thought would be worth buying.

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - Moonface - Nov 24th, 2023

(Nov 24th, 2023, 01:39 AM)Karo Wrote:
Though I have yet to see anyone really bring up politics at my thanksgiving and I feel like I'm missing out. But it seem this year I am not missing out cause we all are! Grin
Eh, there's a very long sliding scale of how that can go, but even on the better end of the scale it isn't really something worth experiencing. I do find it funny though how Thanksgiving has this stigma attached to it of not bringing up politics because it won't end well, when in England I have never experienced any event needing a "No Politics" disclaimer attached because nobody would bring it up unless they want to be seen as a complete mood killer. Not because bringing it up would cause a bad situation, but rather just talking about politics at a family dinner would be seen as a really drab subject to talk about.

RE: Thanksgiving 2023 - queenzelda - Nov 24th, 2023

My husband and I went to my parents for Thanksgiving. I made homemade biscuits, and my husband made the gravy. They ate all the biscuits and gravy, my dad all but inhaled the pan of them I made. We also had some homemade potato salad, with some green beans, honey glazed carrots & the meat was tuna steaks seared in garlic butter. Also yes, I know tuna isn't a meat most people have on thanksgiving, but it's something my husband and I started to do when we first got married and used to go to at least 3 different Thanksgiving meals on 1 day. So, since we got sick of turkey, we deiced to go with tuna steak. I'm a huge fan of eating fish and have been cooking it a long time, so I'm an old hat. My dad and mom just told me that they don't even miss the turkey: tuna is just as good. It's also cheaper since usually turkey costs us around $20 for a big enough bird for 4 of us. But it's also a pain to prep and lift into the oven, all I have to do is cook up the tuna in 20 minutes and we've got dinner. So, it worked out.

We'll be having thanksgiving with his sister-in-law, her kids and hubby. We'll be going over around like 3pm so, it'll be a late breakfast for us. xp (Also my hubby works second shift, so he usually sleeps in pretty late anyway.)