Universal Gaming
LEGO - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: LEGO (/showthread.php?tid=218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

LEGO - Moonface - Sep 14th, 2018

I'm sure we've all used it at some point, or seen something really amazing with it, so share and discuss everything there is to talk about LEGO! Grin

Did any of you folks see the working life size Bugatti that LEGO recently made with Technic parts?! Gasp

RE: LEGO - lp0 on fire - Sep 15th, 2018

The magic of Lego has been some what loss IMO, A lot of the magic was making things out of square blocks with maybe a rare rounder piece and making E-11 blasters out of a circle translucent orange thing and a black megaphone, now they have blaster models (which also betrays Lego's no violence out of historical fantasy (pirates, knights and dragons, ninjas) stance)

But at the Lego movies I have seen (The Lego Movie and Lego Batman) are great, when I first heard of the Lego Movie my reaction was the same as Battleship and Emoji movie (WHAT THE HELL?! HOLLYWOOD HAS RAN OUT OF IDEAS!)

But holy shit, they made a damn good movie, and IMO captured the "magic" of Lego.

In sum: SPACESHIP!

RE: LEGO - Moonface - Sep 15th, 2018

The simplicity may be less than it used to be, but I'll accept it when you can get awesome stuff like this: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Hogwarts-Castle-71043

To get a full version of Hogwarts without it being absolutely massive is not something LEGO would've probably been able to do back in 2003 and I hope this inspires full versions of other large set pieces. I can see Star Wars benefitting from this immensely given how big some things in those movies can be. I know they already have some massive sets like the Millenium Falcon but doing that same set but at half the scale would let people get to enjoy it who can't or won't spend the money for the current huge one.

RE: LEGO - lp0 on fire - Sep 15th, 2018

I also am not fully a fan of how Lego started to get rights to Star Wars/Harry Potter/etc. I mean its awesome for fans of the IPs and when they started with Star Wars I had my eyes on many sets that I wish I could have gotten.

But it came at a cost, it just seems to me that their "generic" sets are just rehash after rehash (and often worse versions of) previous sets such as police HQ if you compare it form the 90s set to today.
2003 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=7035-1#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}
vs 1998 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6332-1#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

We have not seen (as far as I know) of novel themes like Rock Raiders, Space Force/Police, the UFO/alien (Separate from Space Force/police), Wild West, et al.

It also seems like most themes outside of IPs and City last for just a year or two now Eh

RE: LEGO - Mr EliteL - Sep 15th, 2018

Used to pay with LEGO quite a bit when I was younger. Building a street of houses, vehicles that weren't proper vehicles with wheels on the bottom, making a fort with coloured bricks because I didn't many others. Mainly liked the caste sets, although didn't have much of it. Bionicle for the first two generations I was interested in too.

I wondered why they bothered with a Lego movie, and now there's been quite a bit from that now, plus what they're doing with Batman and other things. Seemed to do well with those. Haven't watched anything though.

RE: LEGO - Kyng - Sep 16th, 2018

Gosh, that Bugatti Chiron is AMAZING :O . The fact that they even replicated the exterior is incredible - but, to power it with LEGO as well? That's really quite mind-blowing.

I had a whole load of the stuff, and I built plenty of cars (though obviously, none of them came close to the level of that one Tongue ). My favourite theme was Bionicle: I actually first got into forums by being on a popular Bionicle site (where I served as a staff member for about three years). Other themes I enjoyed included City, Racers, and Rock Raiders. Oh, and I bought quite a lot of the Harry Potter sets: they were overpriced for what they were, but my 11-year-old mind was too young and stupid to know that Tongue .

RE: LEGO - Moonface - Sep 16th, 2018

(Sep 15th, 2018, 02:57 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I wondered why they bothered with a Lego movie, and now there's been quite a bit from that now, plus what they're doing with Batman and other things. Seemed to do well with those. Haven't watched anything though.
When you get a chance, watch the Lego movie. It is really good and far better than I think most people expected it to be.

(Sep 16th, 2018, 09:59 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Other themes I enjoyed included City, Racers, and Rock Raiders. Oh, and I bought quite a lot of the Harry Potter sets: they were overpriced for what they were, but my 11-year-old mind was too young and stupid to know that Tongue .
I loved Lego Racers. I was surprised when that line ended because it seemed to be one of the longer lasting ones for Lego. I used to replicate Burnout with them. ROFL

RE: LEGO - lp0 on fire - Sep 17th, 2018

(Sep 16th, 2018, 11:55 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Sep 15th, 2018, 02:57 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
When you get a chance, watch the Lego movie. It is really good and far better than I think most people expected it to be.

Understatement of the half decade there. Whistle
Lego sites I go to were cynical of the movie it was a punch line "haha "the Lego Movie" Hollywood ran out of ideas! Its gonna be shit, its a shame Lego allowed this to happen" to ".....well fuck we're wrong, ITS BLOODY GREAT!"

RE: LEGO - Moonface - Sep 17th, 2018

Has anyone here ever gone to Legoland? I've always wondered if it's actually good because apart from commercials I rarely hear about it. Errm

RE: LEGO - Mr EliteL - Sep 17th, 2018

I didn't get the sets, but I've got the PS1 Lego Racers game, which was fun.

Went to Legoland at least once when I was a kid. Can't remember anything at all really, other then us getting some keyrings of Darth Vader, a ninja and a female...can't tell what job she's meant to be in. Still have the ninja and her in my display cabinet. Did go on rides and saw big lego scupltures and other stuff at least. Just don't remember what exactly. Enjoyed it as a kid, but as I have barely any recollection of it, not sure how good it really was from an adult's perspective. XD

RE: LEGO - Kyng - Sep 23rd, 2018

(Sep 17th, 2018, 06:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Has anyone here ever gone to Legoland? I've always wondered if it's actually good because apart from commercials I rarely hear about it. Errm
I went to Legoland Windsor a few times as a kid. Some of the rides were good fun - with the Driving School being a particular highlight Grin . Also, the store was a good place to get sets that weren't yet available elsewhere, or were otherwise hard to find. The only thing is, I do remember it involved rather a lot of queuing!

RE: LEGO - Moonface - Sep 25th, 2018

Was there a lot of good builds at Legoland? If it had things like that Bugatti or this awesome cherry blossom tree I'd maybe have interest in visiting one someday. The rides would just be extras to me. XD

RE: LEGO - Mr EliteL - Sep 25th, 2018

Wish I could remember what I saw, dang it. But I suppose where I went could have either had a lot changed, moved, or no longer there. Gotta admit though that cherry blossom tree is great. 3,333KG, OHSHI-. Does make me wonder how these builds deal with daily weather though.

RE: LEGO - Moonface - Sep 25th, 2018

I expect wind is the only real issue to worry about. Rain would likely have as much effect as dumping a Lego set in a bathtub.

RE: LEGO - lp0 on fire - Sep 26th, 2018

(Sep 25th, 2018, 07:14 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I expect wind is the only real issue to worry about. Rain would likely have as much effect as dumping a Lego set in a bathtub.

uhhhh they made/make lego sets that floated in water Tongue