Universal Gaming
Last Game You Played - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Last Game You Played (/showthread.php?tid=22)

RE: Last Game You Played - Moonface - Sep 16th, 2023

(Sep 11th, 2023, 03:59 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
(Sep 10th, 2023, 09:40 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I forgot you own a Nintendo Switch @Maniakkid25...  Sweat
Did earlier SMT games do a similar thing with element weaknesses? I'm just a little surprised you didn't try to balance fire into your team more beforehand if it's a thing for SMT games to eventually put more focus on a particular element later that doesn't show up much/at all earlier in the game. Unsure

It's uncommon for things to go this lopsided this early, but it's not uncommon for the games to constantly change the boss weaknesses (and if the devs are feeling particularly cruel, don't give them any). It's just that the random encounters have mostly been using those weaknesses, and this is a game series where the random encounters can and will take you down if you aren't careful. And worse yet, if the MC drops, it's game over, no saving throw or anything like that.
Huh, I've never actually heard of a game that changes enemy weaknesses at random like that before. I'm used to enemies always having set weaknesses and if anything is randomized it's just what enemies will show up in random encounters. Hmm

Yomawari: Lost in the Dark - Demo (PS4)
Downloaded this a few months ago but never played it until earlier this week. The game feels really reminiscent of those old school RPG Maker horror games you'd see people making back in the 2010's and such, and while I enjoyed what I experienced the demo doesn't really give a lot before it ends.

RE: Last Game You Played - Maniakkid25 - Sep 16th, 2023

(Sep 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Huh, I've never actually heard of a game that changes enemy weaknesses at random like that before. I'm used to enemies always having set weaknesses and if anything is randomized it's just what enemies will show up in random encounters. Hmm

No, nonononono, that's not what I meant. The monsters are set in stone, it's just that those affinities can change wildly from area to area. The sector you just came from, for example, had lots of enemies with weakness to Force, only to suddenly stumble upon an area that has new enemies with lots of weakness to Ice (and if the devs are feeling cruel, they'll nullify wind attacks, meaning you lose turns), and you now have to adapt accordingly. I've been fighting quite a few boss monsters, and they've all been weak to Ice, Electricity, or Force. This is the first Fire-weakness-only boss that I've fought in the game, and that includes doing a bunch of side missions. In those side missions, there have been a couple of bosses with Fire weaknesses...on TOP of being weak to another element, so I didn't have to worry about it. So, yeah, suddenly stumbling on a boss that just is only weak to fire in a game where you need to hit weaknesses if you want extra turns to just SURVIVE, it's a bit difficult!

RE: Last Game You Played - queenzelda - Sep 17th, 2023

Legend of Hero's: Trails from Azure: [Switch]

I've gotten pretty far, and it's such an upgrade from Trails of Zero adding in new areas and some boxes or pots you can break to get items along the road. I also love that I get a car in this game, I just wish I could drive it!!! I mean how hard is it to just allow me to drive a car around the world map without my having to just use a top-down menu of where I'm heading?? (sigh) Anyway, I'm basically on chapter three and every chapter is a new objective for my characters to investigate. So far, we're looking into these monsters called cripted coming out of nowhere, and they can't really move around the area they seem to be static encounters. My guess is these monsters have something to do with the plans Oroborus is up to. But my party doesn't know that, only I do from watching the cut scenes. lol

RE: Last Game You Played - Kyng - Sep 17th, 2023

Bejeweled Blitz.

I used to be addicted to this back in the early 2010s: I frequently topped my list of Facebook friends in the high scores list. Of course, they're no longer playing it, and I had the scoreboard all to myself today Tongue . Nevertheless, I did manage some respectable scores, of close to 200,000 Smile .

RE: Last Game You Played - Moonface - Sep 24th, 2023

(Sep 16th, 2023, 09:21 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
(Sep 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM)Moonface Wrote:

No, nonononono, that's not what I meant. The monsters are set in stone, it's just that those affinities can change wildly from area to area. The sector you just came from, for example, had lots of enemies with weakness to Force, only to suddenly stumble upon an area that has new enemies with lots of weakness to Ice (and if the devs are feeling cruel, they'll nullify wind attacks, meaning you lose turns), and you now have to adapt accordingly. I've been fighting quite a few boss monsters, and they've all been weak to Ice, Electricity, or Force. This is the first Fire-weakness-only boss that I've fought in the game, and that includes doing a bunch of side missions. In those side missions, there have been a couple of bosses with Fire weaknesses...on TOP of being weak to another element, so I didn't have to worry about it. So, yeah, suddenly stumbling on a boss that just is only weak to fire in a game where you need to hit weaknesses if you want extra turns to just SURVIVE, it's a bit difficult!
Oh I knew you meant the monsters themselves are the same and that what they're weak to isn't fixed, my post was saying how I'm used to games setting weaknesses in stone onto enemy types and they just randomly decide what enemies you fight. This game (if I'm getting it right) is enemies are set, and the weaknesses are random instead.
So basically this game is doing the reverse of most games where instead of RANDOM ENEMY WITH FIXED WEAKNESS they're going for SET ENEMY WITH RANDOM WEAKNESS. Correct? Unsure

@Kyng: Dang I haven't heard of Bejeweled in years. Was that game ever in the arcade on TCH? I can't remember. Sweat

RE: Last Game You Played - Maniakkid25 - Sep 24th, 2023

Random Enemy with Fixed Weakness, yes.

I have actually played games where there are enemies that change their weaknesses, but that's a mechanic of the enemy, rather than the game being as difficult as possible.

RE: Last Game You Played - Moonface - Sep 25th, 2023

(Sep 24th, 2023, 10:23 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Random Enemy with Fixed Weakness, yes.

I have actually played games where there are enemies that change their weaknesses, but that's a mechanic of the enemy, rather than the game being as difficult as possible.
Wait, but that means it does enemy encounters like other games then. Ugh I feel like I'm confusing myself over all of this when it's probably stupidly simple. Confused

Lies of P (PS5)
Got past all the demo content and just entered Vignigni Factory, but haven't gone further in than the Stargazer that's on the other side of the factory door. Funnily enough I've died to just about everything except the two main boss fights the game has thrown at me so far. ROFL

RE: Last Game You Played - ShiraNoMai - Sep 25th, 2023

PlateUp!
Played around with a friend tonight, just us two. It was my first time playing with only two, so it was interesting to see how the game would fare in terms of difficulty scaling. I found most times it was rather chill. We lost quite a few rounds, but in our very last one, we were just two days off from Day 10 (the goal) before we lost when the addition of the Microwave was added in placement of our Oven. We had a Pizza restaurant, and the Microwave was simply a better oven (from what I was told). I had no idea though, that if you accidentally reclose the microwave when something already cooked is inside, it just immediately sets on fire. Smile This was my first time ever see something catch fire so I had no idea what to do: we didn't own a fire extinguisher. Didn't realize you can put out fires with your bare hands lol Or that the fire eventually spreads if you don't put it out quick enough. Either way, I put it all out but the panic/delay put us behind enough that we couldn't get to all our customers in time and it did us in, in the end. Nooo

RE: Last Game You Played - shadow - Sep 27th, 2023

Moonstone Isle | PC

I just got this game yesterday; it's Pokémon meets Zelda with some farming elements. I just crash landed at the new place I'm going to live at. It's just hilarious how the game starts. I was torn on which sprite I wanted but I choose the dino. Just moved into my home and started a farm to feed the bellies of my spirits. So far, it's kind of interesting. Apparently, you can date other character npc in this? I haven't even got that far, just got moved in.

RE: Last Game You Played - queenzelda - Sep 27th, 2023

(Sep 27th, 2023, 12:17 AM)shadow Wrote:
Moonstone Isle | PC

I just got this game yesterday; it's Pokémon meets Zelda with some farming elements. I just crash landed at the new place I'm going to live at. It's just hilarious how the game starts. I was torn on which sprite I wanted but I choose the dino. Just moved into my home and started a farm to feed the bellies of my spirits. So far, it's kind of interesting. Apparently, you can date other character npc in this? I haven't even got that far, just got moved in.

Yes, you can date npcs in this. Just depends on who wants to go out with you though I found from watching someone else play it. 

Legend of Hero's: Trails From Azure | Switch

I just beat this game and the boss was a huge pain in my booty. XD Still kicked its butt and saw the ending.

RE: Last Game You Played - Moonface - Oct 1st, 2023

(Sep 27th, 2023, 12:25 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Legend of Hero's: Trails From Azure | Switch

I just beat this game and the boss was a huge pain in my booty. XD Still kicked its butt and saw the ending.
Would you say this is (one of) the hardest boss you've fought in a game or not really?

F-Zero 99 (NS)
Played this last night for an hour or two and having not really played anything in this series before it was definitely a rough learning curve with this game at first, particularly with the controls. The way vehicles handle turns is really bad (possibly the worst I've ever encountered in a racing game) because of how sensitive the stick is, but once you get the hang of it it starts to get okay. Dunno how much more of it I'll play overall but it was interesting at least. I still think WipEout does a far better job overall as a futuristic style racer than F-Zero does though.

RE: Last Game You Played - Kyng - Oct 1st, 2023

The Sims 4

My first time playing for a couple of weeks. I kind of forgot how frustrating the game could be, though: it took my ages to get a decent group shot of all seven of my Sims, because as soon as I got them all into position, one or two of them would walk away!

RE: Last Game You Played - Moonface - Oct 2nd, 2023

(Oct 1st, 2023, 09:45 PM)Kyng Wrote:
The Sims 4

My first time playing for a couple of weeks. I kind of forgot how frustrating the game could be, though: it took my ages to get a decent group shot of all seven of my Sims, because as soon as I got them all into position, one or two of them would walk away!
I'm picturing a mod now where when players get frustrated enough with their Sims not co-operating they just start pulling some Saw-style stuff on them. Oh you don't wanna stay still for the photo? You'll now stand in an open bear trap where if it detects any release in pressure from your feet standing on the switch it'll close and not only hold you in place for the photo but put you in considerable pain as well. Tongue

Lies of P (PS5)
As I mentioned in the games discussion thread, I just beat Victor and decided to call my session there for now. Might play some more later, dunno though.

RE: Last Game You Played - ShiraNoMai - Oct 5th, 2023

Pokémon Red (Archipelago 0.4.2 randomizer)
So, I've played a fair amount of these so far. I've mostly got to the point where my back up map isn't entirely needed for me to utilize for mazes. Last night, I encountered a very particular oversight that put me in ACAB (all checks are blocked) for an hour because I was completely unaware it was a thing you could potentially do.

In this early game, I have acquired a Poké Flute. Now, you may recognize that as an item that is used to move the Snorlax(es) blocking two paths: one west of Celadon City, the other east of Vermillion City. At this point, aside from the aforementioned item, I only had a few other key items, but I was chiefly missing HMs like Cut, Surf and Fly, or the Tea to bring to the guards around Saffron City. Once I beat Misty, I was, presumably, stuck in ACAB mode, until I had one of those items given to me.

Here's the fun part: I wasn't. I thought, well, if I get past the eastern Snorlax, I can get to Lavender Town, but I can't get past the Guards to Saffron to get to Celadon, where I had a few listed checks greenlit. And I just simply cannot get to the western Snorlax if Celadon itself was blocked.

No. You fool. There is an Underground Path on the Route between Saffron and Lavender that leads right outside of Celadon. Free. No Tea required.

I will never again underestimate the power of the Poké Flute. Suffer

RE: Last Game You Played - Kyng - Oct 6th, 2023

The Sims 4

My stupid Sims set their oven on fire for the third time in as many in-game days >_< . They should probably just give up on cooking!