Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Feb 7th, 2021

(Feb 6th, 2021, 07:21 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Those games have a horrific (though, in hindsight, necessary) dependency on spending time in the menus than you do actually playing, I find. It's a larger part strategy game than just straight action like the Souls' games, I think. They're interesting in that respect, but I can't say I'm personally interested in them myself.

You really don't have to spend that much time in menus, and shouldn't be. If you've seen someone play the games who spends more time in the menu than anything else, they don't know what they're doing and are playing the game completely incorrectly. 

Nioh is much more action than the Souls games are as well. You need good reflexes/timing in Nioh/Nioh 2, compared to the Souls games that don't require any of that unless you're restricting yourself to only parrying enemies (but even then, the parry timing in the Souls games is so much more forgiving them timing is in Nioh/Nioh 2). You can get through any of the Souls games hiding behind a shield and poking with a spear. You try to play defensively like that in Nioh and the game is going to shit all over you.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Feb 8th, 2021

Nioh 2 I kinda wanted to check out, but never did apart from the odd catch when I watched Fextralife play it once (they played a lot I just didn't watch more than one day) but did like what I saw.

Started snowing yesterday but struggled to settle on paths and roads. Today it has although it's not deep. I do like the look of snow before it's ruined by foot and tyre prints.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Feb 9th, 2021

Quote:Frankly I feel like we should expand on the ideas of a "monopoly" I mean really if it like two companies owning an entire industry shouldn't that count?
@"Yuri": Bringing this here since it covers more than the thread it originated in. I don't know if two companies should be a monopoly or not. Like really the only two companies that make OS for phones is Google and Apple, but they're not working together so they don't necessarily have full control of the market they cover. It's not like say, if it was just Apple and then they can do whatever they want with pricing because what else would you pick? They compete with Google and can't just go crazy with pricing because going too far would just send people away to other phones.

But then again, in the UK two of the largest grocery chains tried to merge and it hasn't been permitted because of how it would be giving them too much power over the market, despite there being plenty of other chains still in the market.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Feb 9th, 2021

(Feb 8th, 2021, 10:10 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Nioh 2 I kinda wanted to check out, but never did apart from the odd catch when I watched Fextralife play it once (they played a lot I just didn't watch more than one day) but did like what I saw.

I'd 100% consider checking out the games, as long as you don't mind being frustrated by a game from time to time. Nioh's combat requires a lot of strict timing and learning boss's patterns. One of the biggest reasons why a lot of Souls players got so frustrated with Nioh is that they quickly found out it's not the type of game you can go into a boss battle and just mash a button to win with heavy armor on so you never get staggered. Hell, some of the normal enemies in the Nioh games are more of a threat than bosses in the Souls games. 

If you do think about checking the games out, make sure you start with the first one. The games are connected story-wise, with the bulk of Nioh 2 happening prior to the events of Nioh. So you'll want to play them in order to get the best understanding of the story/world building.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Feb 9th, 2021

(Feb 9th, 2021, 12:28 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Quote:Frankly I feel like we should expand on the ideas of a "monopoly" I mean really if it like two companies owning an entire industry shouldn't that count?
@"Yuri": Bringing this here since it covers more than the thread it originated in. I don't know if two companies should be a monopoly or not. Like really the only two companies that make OS for phones is Google and Apple, but they're not working together so they don't necessarily have full control of the market they cover. It's not like say, if it was just Apple and then they can do whatever they want with pricing because what else would you pick? They compete with Google and can't just go crazy with pricing because going too far would just send people away to other phones.

But then again, in the UK two of the largest grocery chains tried to merge and it hasn't been permitted because of how it would be giving them too much power over the market, despite there being plenty of other chains still in the market.
I think its probably an issue with no easy answers as usual. I feel like when businesses get too big and they start eating smaller businesses to secure more of the market it's also a problem when businesses have such control of the market no competitor can break into it. Like if a new competitor emerged for the phone I think itd be hard for it to break into it cause Google or apple might work together to squash any new potential competition or maybe attempt to buy them out. They'd have to rely on getting the next big product or be corporate giants already to actually break into it.

PS: the ironic thing is if google actually committed they possible could break into the gaming market successfully but their so huge they can afford to throw it all the way on random projects.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Feb 9th, 2021

In completely unrelated news, the movie is watched, and it's time to record and edit. I'll probably hold the video for a month or so, though, because this is gonna be REALLY short compared to my other two rants; I only managed a 5 page script. I think you guys will find it fitting that I would want to talk about it, however...

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Feb 9th, 2021

I can't wait for that. Was halfway through your other vid, and loved all of that craziness XD

Today i learned that camping is not just stick a teepee-style tent up in the middle of nowhere and live like homeless folk for a few days. It genuinely sounds interesting to set up properly, and would love to do it somewhere outside of Florida (though you can do it here).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Feb 9th, 2021

(Feb 9th, 2021, 05:19 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I can't wait for that. Was halfway through your other vid, and loved all of that craziness XD

I do have to say something disappointing, though: I have peaked. I will never write a joke funnier than one of the jokes in the Operation Darkness video. It's all downhill from here.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Feb 10th, 2021

(Feb 9th, 2021, 04:38 AM)Yuri Wrote:
(Feb 9th, 2021, 12:28 AM)Moonface Wrote:

I think its probably an issue with no easy answers as usual. I feel like when businesses get too big and they start eating smaller businesses to secure more of the market it's also a problem when businesses have such control of the market no competitor can break into it. Like if a new competitor emerged for the phone I think itd be hard for it to break into it cause Google or apple might work together to squash any new potential competition or maybe attempt to buy them out. They'd have to rely on getting the next big product or be corporate giants already to actually break into it.

PS: the ironic thing is if google actually committed they possible could break into the gaming market successfully but their so huge they can afford to throw it all the way on random projects.
The grocery stores in the UK tried banding together to pull some stunt with milk pricing, and got very punished when they were discovered to the point they wouldn't consider trying it again. However if a single store was doing things to cause a smaller store nearby to struggle everyone will comment on it but nothing ultimately gets done because too many people care more for the lower price than whether it's screwing someone over. If there's no governing body in place to keep things in check I don't think there would be enough people collectively against something to make it change.

Been feeling really lonely today. I wanted to play some Minecraft to try and distract myself but my computer wants to update and I've been waiting for over an hour because it's one of the stupid big ones.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Feb 11th, 2021

He says stupid big ones, but I booted my computer today without barely a second extra to reboot from the update push ROFL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Feb 11th, 2021

I don't update anymore, after long assed ones taking too much time, although really wasn't that too long. Would've thought my update list would be super long by now but I probably need to update the older stuff before the newer ones are added on. XD *randomly updates 2 out of 47*

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Feb 11th, 2021

(Feb 11th, 2021, 05:27 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
He says stupid big ones, but I booted my computer today without barely a second extra to reboot from the update push ROFL
You have an SSD so of course it'll be faster for you. Rolleyes

What's everyone up to for the day?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Feb 11th, 2021

Besides work? Well, World of Tanks console is doing a couple of events that I've been chipping away at, and I've been editing the next rant, and I keep watching my little intro over and over because I really find it funny, and I hope it amuses you guys as much as it does me when I finally finish it.

Edit: Oh, something I just realized about the rant that I should warn about: there will be math. There is also another content warning I should mention, but I'd rather only mention it once. I do preface the rant with it, so you will know what that warning is before going in.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Feb 11th, 2021

I'd say if whatever is funny hasn't bored you yet then it must be decently funny to most people when they see it.

Heading out to my physical therapy appointment. Hoping it goes well since this is at a new place.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Feb 14th, 2021

I went to a British food store near my house yesterday which was an interesting experience. For having to import all the food and make profit on it the prices were actually pretty reasonable in context. I even managed to get some British meat products that aren't made in the US which was really neat. Smile