Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 20th, 2021

I've never had a manager pull a stunt on me in front of customers, but if they did I don't think I'd be able to keep quiet and not call them out on the spot for the remark being made. It's bad enough in private, but doing it in public is a joke and probably a power trip.

How's everyone doing this weekend so far?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Mar 23rd, 2021

I kinda wish it was longer but oh well I got class tomorrow which isnt a bad thing but time is such a limited resource.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 23rd, 2021

I feel like time went by much slower when I was younger. Or rather that I could achieve way more in a day. Now it feels like hours go by but it feels like I've only been doing something for half that time. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 23rd, 2021

Yeah, no, that ain't just you. It's a pretty well known phenomenon that as we age, our perception of time speeds up. I believe the main hypothesis is that as we get older, each individual unit of time becomes a smaller and smaller proportion of our time alive, and therefore seems to actually shrink in perceived size.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 23rd, 2021

Perhaps we also think we have less time because we have to devote our time to more things that younger people don't have to worry about. When you're not having to put time aside for laundry, dishes, shopping, and all the other fun things an adult has to do to look after themselves, you probably feel like you have way more time.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Mar 23rd, 2021

Yeah I think both those theories check out. We have significantly less responsibilities as a kid, and the ones we do have don't take up as much time as the ones we do now. At least, I think that's the case. Homework does take time. Hmm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Mar 24th, 2021

So ya'll remember how Skype used to be really awesome, and then Microsoft bought it and suddenly it became riddled with ads and most of its functions got locked behind paywalls?

Well, apparently Microsoft wants to do that to us again. Rumors are they are attempting to acquire Discord now.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Mar 24th, 2021

From the article I was linked to the other day apparently it was discord reaching out to Microsoft. So if I'm honest I might jump ship from discord if that the case. Hmm

Here the article in question:
https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-reportedly-in-talks-to-purchase-discord-for-over-10-billion

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 24th, 2021

Discord is going to either go public or get bought because they're not really making money. Compared to other companies I've seen mentioned, Microsoft feels like a blessed option in comparison to those.

After seeing what happened to Skype, I'd rather Discord delete itself them get into their hands.

Hopefully if this happens, a new option will show up, kind of like Discord did when Skype went to shit. Especially since I can imagine Microsoft would butcher the Twitch integration of Discord, considering how badly Microsoft's own streaming platform flopped up against Twitch.

I agree with Night Lord here I really have no faith in Microsoft like at all honestly I think I'd rather it go away then it get into the hands of those other companies, but if I had to choose the lesser of evils I'd probably pick Epic Games.

Big no to Epic Games. Don't let them touch anything, ever.

Discord already has a lot of integration with Twitch, so it would make the most sense and probably work out for the best if Amazon were to acquire Discord instead.

Regardless of who gets it, I just want to know what will change to have the service make more money to remain functioning. Nitro and boosts are probably in the minority compared to the number of users who just use Discord for free.

Maybe servers will actually cost money to operate?

(Mar 24th, 2021, 09:26 PM)Yuri Wrote:
Maybe servers will actually cost money to operate?
I could see that potentially happening, or more stuff will go behind the existing pay walls for servers. Other than that the other thing would be shoving ads everywhere.