Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Apr 18th, 2021

I dunno, I've never been one to judge what people do with their money. If you made billions of dollars by creating a successful business, or multiple successful businesses, then do whatever the hell you want with it. Bezos could spend his entire fortune on a solid diamond toilet and I wouldn't think twice about it. He has no obligation to spend any of his money helping people he doesn't know or care about in the slightest. Especially since if he started handing out money to "people in need", there'd suddenly be thousands of people crawling out of the trenches to beg for money that likely don't even need it. Outside of charities (which I'm sure he/Amazon donate to), there's no way to weed out the people who don't need it from the ones who actually do.

If I had even just a fraction of his fortune, the only people I'd help with it are my family and my closest friends. Rest of the world isn't my problem or concern. At the most, I'd make decent regular donations to St. Jude, as that's the only place I'd feel like my money was actually going towards something worthwhile.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 19th, 2021

I think the least he could do is make sure his own company has decent pay and conditions though. Amazon isn't exactly hailed as a great place to work and he could easily remedy that. Errm
The fact he doesn't even care to use a fraction of his money for the people who keep his company going just says a lot about him as a person to me. He would easily make back that money in a few hours.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Apr 20th, 2021

See even if you aren't compelled too I think it something a rich person should do. You have the means and if your income is so high you probably could find the perfect formula for helping people and keep growing your massive hord of cash.

Sure you might not know or care about people but they are your fellow human beings and when you turn a blind eye just for maximum profit it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Though honestly I'd like to see this done in a government way. If America wants to talk about how great and free it is imagine if every citizen wouldn't go homeless or hungry. Nothing fancy still keep our American dream ladder just have the bottom of the ladder be a small but comfortable living instead of homeless and starving.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 20th, 2021

On another subject related to money that I know was popular in here a while back, Discord is no longer looking to sell itself. Instead it looks like they'll be going public as a company, which will still bring its own share of hurdles but if anyone was concerned about any particular company buying them, it doesn't seem that's going to happen for the time being. I expect it'll still happen eventually though.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Apr 21st, 2021

(Apr 20th, 2021, 05:21 AM)Karo Wrote:
Though honestly I'd like to see this done in a government way. If America wants to talk about how great and free it is imagine if every citizen wouldn't go homeless or hungry. Nothing fancy still keep our American dream ladder just have the bottom of the ladder be a small but comfortable living instead of homeless and starving.

The only problem with that is that it'd be extremely difficult to separate the people who are homeless because of circumstances out of their control and those who are homeless because of their own stupidity. People who are homeless because they are idiots don't deserve to get any help. They dug themselves into that hole, let them dig themselves out of it. 

Rich or not, I wouldn't want my money going towards helping someone who is homeless because they gambled/drank themselves out of their home.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Apr 21st, 2021

Edit: I originally had a whole stupid rant in this post. I took it down because I realized I'm an idiot. But to answer your point, you making that argument is no different from the cry of "Welfare Queens" in the 80s. Because we can't have a perfect system, we shouldn't have it at all? That really is the Nirvana Fallacy in action.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 21st, 2021

(Apr 21st, 2021, 06:56 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
(Apr 20th, 2021, 05:21 AM)Karo Wrote:

The only problem with that is that it'd be extremely difficult to separate the people who are homeless because of circumstances out of their control and those who are homeless because of their own stupidity. People who are homeless because they are idiots don't deserve to get any help. They dug themselves into that hole, let them dig themselves out of it. 

Rich or not, I wouldn't want my money going towards helping someone who is homeless because they gambled/drank themselves out of their home.
At that point I'd say just fund help services that can assist those who are willing to get the help. Otherwise they're never going to get anywhere because there won't be help available to those wanting to tackle their problems.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Apr 21st, 2021

(Apr 21st, 2021, 07:10 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Edit: I originally had a whole stupid rant in this post. I took it down because I realized I'm an idiot. But to answer your point, you making that argument is no different from the cry of "Welfare Queens" in the 80s. Because we can't have a perfect system, we shouldn't have it at all? That really is the Nirvana Fallacy in action.

Nobody said anything about a perfect system, but we should not have systems in place that reward people for doing nothing or choosing to be failures. If someone is on the street because they put themselves in insurmountable debt from gambling and lost everything, they deserve to be where they are, and if they can't put in the effort to work their way out of their situation, then they deserve to stay there. 

Obviously some people who are living on the streets are not there because of their own mistakes (sudden loss of job, family kicking them out, Military Vets being abandoned by the government), and those people deserve to be helped, but only those people. 

Moon - That would work, as long as the services were set-up in a way where you didn't reap the benefits without putting in any work, otherwise it'd just get taken advantage of by the people who don't deserve the help.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Apr 21st, 2021

A perfect system is exactly what you're advocating for. Any system that catches all tge "failures" is inevitably going to be too strict and let someone who actually needs help slip through the cracks, and any system which helps all the ones who need help is going to have weird edge cases that someone can exploit. And god forbid if some tool exploits the system to just steal money. The fact is, you have to be willing to accept some kind of give. Just like anything else in the world, we live in an imperfect world.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Apr 22nd, 2021

Man, UPS has become such garbage. They updated their website over night, and now tracking doesn't tell you where your package currently is. Just says "On The Way."

I'm already pissed with them because my package got delayed without any reason given, and now I might not get my copy of NieR Replicant until Monday, instead of getting it on Friday like I'm supposed to, and now I can't even see WHERE my package is currently at?

About ready to beat some UPS ass.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 22nd, 2021

lol, what's the point of tracking to tell you the package is coming? That's not even tracking, it's just a confirmation that your package has been shipped. I hope you didn't pay extra for that "tracking" DL. D=

I don't know how much the shipping was. It's the collector's edition for NieR Replicant, which I purchased through the Square Enix webstore. Can't remember if I had to pay shipping on it or not. I think I did, because I believe Square Enix doesn't offer free shipping on anything regardless of the price. Would have been nice though, since this was like a $200 collector's edition, but oh well.

I'm just pissed they delayed my package without even a single reason given. Like, why? What caused the delay? You guys just that stupid or something? Sent the package the wrong way? Give me a reason for your inept stupidity.

Oh, I was meaning did you pay extra to track the package. Any time I shipped stuff the tracking was extra on top of the shipping price.

Oh, I don't know. That might be part of the cost of shipping that Square Enix charges. Or services like FedEx and UPS might just do tracking for free. I've honestly never looked into the finer details of that stuff, since I don't ever ship anything.

Given that it came from an online store I expect they either include it or the delivery service just provides it on a case by case basis. I just hope that's not the way anything is tracked through those services though because I'd be annoyed if I knowingly paid for tracking and all I get told is that it's somewhere out having an adventure and could turn up in a day or a week.