Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - May 2nd, 2021

Yeah, I saw that on Facebook. Sorry about your kitty. It always sucks when a pet has to be put down. I might not be a pet person, but I can at least sympathize.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 3rd, 2021

Thanks you two for the condolences. It was the first time either of us had to be present for the animal being put to sleep which was incredibly hard (even for me who didn't really have much attachment to the cat). I still can't get over how much it is for a cremation though. $300 something for a generic one, $500+ for a private cremation where you get the ashes back and a print of their paw. I wonder what happens if someone just can't afford that; I doubt the vet would just turn away the animal and refuse to put it down. Hmm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - May 3rd, 2021

Noo, not little Yoru! So sorry to hear she had to go so early. Only 11 years is too soon, but she had something bad so couldn't be helped and better to not let her carry on with it. I missed two of mine being put down but I can imagine it's really hard to be there. Hope she rests in peace. Sad

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - May 3rd, 2021

Yeah she was a sweet baby. My mom actually decided to let me have her so I could cope with the loss of Moony and my internet back in 2010. Once my dad passed, and things started getting hectic about her living situation, she started to change a little. She began to remember me less and less as time went on when she lived with my mother permanently, but still, the few times I'd get to still interact with her were pleasant.

We're gonna do our best to make sure Mars has an even longer and healthier life. He's turning 6 in a week or two, so he's still got much to go on for. Smile

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 3rd, 2021

I feel like Mars will spook himself to death before anything else. Tongue

I can't decide whether to go to work tomorrow or not. I kinda don't but I also don't want to leave my coworker by herself to work the delivery. Doh

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 4th, 2021

(May 3rd, 2021, 03:22 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Thanks you two for the condolences. It was the first time either of us had to be present for the animal being put to sleep which was incredibly hard (even for me who didn't really have much attachment to the cat). I still can't get over how much it is for a cremation though. $300 something for a generic one, $500+ for a private cremation where you get the ashes back and a print of their paw. I wonder what happens if someone just can't afford that; I doubt the vet would just turn away the animal and refuse to put it down. Hmm

Oof, those prices hurt. I think most places around me will do pet cremations for $100-$200 tops. I unfortunately couldn't get my first cat cremated, so I was unable to keep him with me, but I'm making sure all my babies from then on stay with me when their times unfortunately come.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 4th, 2021

(May 4th, 2021, 07:08 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

Oof, those prices hurt. I think most places around me will do pet cremations for $100-$200 tops. I unfortunately couldn't get my first cat cremated, so I was unable to keep him with me, but I'm making sure all my babies from then on stay with me when their times unfortunately come.
Yeah, and it sucked that we got told these prices minutes before we had to put the cat down, so there was no time to properly process any of it. I almost wonder if they do it on purpose to try and encourage owners to pay for the private cremation. Wouldn't surprise me, since anything involving death arrangements regardless of species always seems to prey on the vulnerable during grief.

Started my application to college just now. Taking a break though because for whatever reason I get massive anxiety when filling out applications to college courses. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 4th, 2021

(May 4th, 2021, 05:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Yeah, and it sucked that we got told these prices minutes before we had to put the cat down, so there was no time to properly process any of it. I almost wonder if they do it on purpose to try and encourage owners to pay for the private cremation. Wouldn't surprise me, since anything involving death arrangements regardless of species always seems to prey on the vulnerable during grief. Errm

Sadly, you've probably hit the nail on the head with this one. They likely waited to tell you to pressure you into make a snap decision based on your current emotional state, hoping it'd cause you to spring on the more expensive package. I don't know about the place you went, but I'm sure there's other places you can go that might also try to push you into it using certain language that preys on your grief at the time as well.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 4th, 2021

(May 4th, 2021, 06:36 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
(May 4th, 2021, 05:56 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Yeah, and it sucked that we got told these prices minutes before we had to put the cat down, so there was no time to properly process any of it. I almost wonder if they do it on purpose to try and encourage owners to pay for the private cremation. Wouldn't surprise me, since anything involving death arrangements regardless of species always seems to prey on the vulnerable during grief. Errm

Sadly, you've probably hit the nail on the head with this one. They likely waited to tell you to pressure you into make a snap decision based on your current emotional state, hoping it'd cause you to spring on the more expensive package. I don't know about the place you went, but I'm sure there's other places you can go that might also try to push you into it using certain language that preys on your grief at the time as well.
Yeah, because we didn't turn up out of the blue for this. We had made the choice to put this cat down on Saturday at that exact time and the vet knew as such as far as I understand (I didn't organise any of this, Shira and her mother did as it's their cat), so it isn't like they couldn't have made us aware of the pricing ahead of time.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 5th, 2021

Oof. Feeling rough today. Woke up and was like, yep, definitely sick. Throat is really painful, so I'm hoping it's not strep, because I can't really afford to go in, get a strep test, and then pay for any following treatment.

Also I've never had strep before, so I'd like to continue that streak.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 5th, 2021

I don't think I've ever had strep, but I also never heard of the term until I came to visit Shira one time and she happened to have it, and somehow I never caught it from her despite kissing and sharing utensils was apparently begging to catch it from her. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 5th, 2021

Every case is different, but strep can be an absolute bitch to deal with, and in severe cases can kill you when untreated for too long.

Also I work with the dumbest people. So I told my boss that I'm sick and was going to ask someone to work my shift tonight, so she texted me back saying that one of my co-workers can work at 6, but still need someone to cover 4-6. So I replied saying we should just reschedule the new girl who is supposed to train with me tonight and I can work the entire shift. As long as I don't have anyone with me, I can just work the entire night and it's whatever. Then she texts back and tells me just to work the 4-6 and then my other co-worker and the new girl will come in at 6.

I'm just like... where's the logic in that? If you're going to have a sick employee work at all, why would I just not work the entire shift? I'm already there and I'm going to already be touching shit. So let's have the sick person work 4-6, and then have two more employees come in after him and be touching the same shit/money he was touching for two hours from 6-10? The whole point of me trying to find someone to work was so I wouldn't have to be there at all and not risk getting anyone else sick in case whatever I've come down with is contagious.

The lack of common sense is staggering. If I'm going to haver to come in at all, why would I just not work the entire shift so that I'm the only one working and then at the end of the night I can disinfect the register and other shit I touched? Absolutely stupid.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 5th, 2021

(May 5th, 2021, 08:30 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Every case is different, but strep can be an absolute bitch to deal with, and in severe cases can kill you when untreated for too long.
Holy shit! I didn't even know it could kill a person. Shock

(May 5th, 2021, 08:30 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Also I work with the dumbest people. So I told my boss that I'm sick and was going to ask someone to work my shift tonight, so she texted me back saying that one of my co-workers can work at 6, but still need someone to cover 4-6. So I replied saying we should just reschedule the new girl who is supposed to train with me tonight and I can work the entire shift. As long as I don't have anyone with me, I can just work the entire night and it's whatever. Then she texts back and tells me just to work the 4-6 and then my other co-worker and the new girl will come in at 6.

I'm just like... where's the logic in that? If you're going to have a sick employee work at all, why would I just not work the entire shift? I'm already there and I'm going to already be touching shit. So let's have the sick person work 4-6, and then have two more employees come in after him and be touching the same shit/money he was touching for two hours from 6-10? The whole point of me trying to find someone to work was so I wouldn't have to be there at all and not risk getting anyone else sick in case whatever I've come down with is contagious.

The lack of common sense is staggering. If I'm going to haver to come in at all, why would I just not work the entire shift so that I'm the only one working and then at the end of the night I can disinfect the register and other shit I touched? Absolutely stupid.
If what you have can be contagious I'm surprised you're allowed to go to work due to the risk you would pose to customers. Especially if you work in food (I don't recall what you work in XD).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - May 6th, 2021

Strep, like any bacterial infection, has a chance of killing a person if that shit gets into your bloodstream. It's why when I had MRSA (which is a Staph infection), I had to be hospitalized to get it treated properly because it wasn't going to go away unless IV treated, apparently.

Also it's not shocking for any kind of retail business to employ sick staff. They really don't care as long as no one reports them. COVID made that incredibly apparent, and sometimes can bite them in the ass if they're not careful (see: the Publix employee that died from COVID after being exposed in the workplace and continued to work as requested).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 6th, 2021

(May 5th, 2021, 10:21 PM)Moonface Wrote:
If what you have can be contagious I'm surprised you're allowed to go to work due to the risk you would pose to customers. Especially if you work in food (I don't recall what you work in XD).

One of the negatives of working for a small, privately owned business: There's no one to report this kind of thing to. She can tell me I have to work while being sick or I will lose my job, and there's not much I can do about it at all. I'd be able to potentially report it to the state, but the odds of that actually amounting to anything is very small.