Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 21st, 2021

Yikes, hope you're OK Moony. Sad Do you remember what could've possibly done it? I suppose you do if you're filing a report at work about it. You do have tomorrow off normally, right? Hopefully you get injury time off too to recover/have it looked at and it's something you can get back from.

Today was a joke at work, I'll elaborate in the other topic.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 21st, 2021

(Aug 21st, 2021, 04:59 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Yikes, hope you're OK Moony. Sad Do you remember what could've possibly done it? I suppose you do if you're filing a report at work about it. You do have tomorrow off normally, right? Hopefully you get injury time off too to recover/have it looked at and it's something you can get back from.
I have no idea what I did. I didn't hit it, didn't fall, didn't do anything that stands out. I'm not at work again until Tuesday so I'm hoping to be better by then. The medical person I had to speak to at work on the phone about my knee wants me to see a doctor though, which I'm not thrilled about. At least it won't cost me anything.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Aug 21st, 2021

I'm considering finding a new job come the new year. It'll be my 6th anniversary in a week or two at my current one, and my friends and colleagues alike agree that I can be doing better elsewhere. My job is 100% secure right now so I'm not looking to desperately change immediately. I'll window shop if anything and see what turns up.

I'm just glad I'm not working the types of jobs you guys are all working anymore. I'm so done with that era of my life and don't want to look back LOL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 21st, 2021

I do have to say that, in spite of my complaints, I actually REALLY like my job! I've been there for 5 years, and literally the only complaints I have can be boiled down to "customers are assholes", and the fact is that I legitimately take pride in what I do, despite how much the customers will say how much they appreciate me while lying through their teeth.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 22nd, 2021

(Aug 21st, 2021, 11:36 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I do have to say that, in spite of my complaints, I actually REALLY like my job! I've been there for 5 years, and literally the only complaints I have can be boiled down to "customers are assholes", and the fact is that I legitimately take pride in what I do, despite how much the customers will say how much they appreciate me while lying through their teeth.
But do you like it enough to do it until retirement if the option was on the table? Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Aug 22nd, 2021

Hope your knee injury heals quickly Moony. Sad

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 22nd, 2021

(Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:01 AM)Moonface Wrote:
But do you like it enough to do it until retirement if the option was on the table? Tongue

Actually, I would be WILLING to, certainly. The only problem is whether or not I could SURVIVE on such an income.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Aug 22nd, 2021

@Karo : I hope so, too. Moony's becoming more and more of an old man lately Sad ROFL

I mean, Maniak, if you work your way up a bit, you'd still be able to do all the stuff below you. You're a front-end clerk right? Especially if you move to grocery, you'd be able to do all the fun tasks with most of the payment you could live with, IIRC.  Hmm

Well, the problem with that is one of the tasks I dislike the most is leveling shelves after closing. If I moved away from Customer Service, I'd be doing that EVERY NIGHT they schedule me. Yeah, Grocery gets paid a lot more, but I'm not strong or co-ordinated enough for anything but the most basic of tasks related to it.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 22nd, 2021

(Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:13 AM)Karo Wrote:
Hope your knee injury heals quickly Moony. Sad
Thanks. I'm just hoping it also isn't too serious of an injury.

(Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:19 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
(Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:01 AM)Moonface Wrote:

Actually, I would be WILLING to, certainly. The only problem is whether or not I could SURVIVE on such an income.
I honestly expected you to not be willing all the way to retirement, if you had been willing at all. Then again, my position has me hauling heavy stuff around all the time and the idea of doing that in another 30 years from now isn't appealing no matter the pay. ROFL

(Aug 22nd, 2021, 12:44 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Well, the problem with that is one of the tasks I dislike the most is leveling shelves after closing. If I moved away from Customer Service, I'd be doing that EVERY NIGHT they schedule me. Yeah, Grocery gets paid a lot more, but I'm not strong or co-ordinated enough for anything but the most basic of tasks related to it.
Even if you wasn't scheduled to close, you'd have to level your aisle before leaving no matter the time of day. Closing will just normally have you level more than just your own section though, which is what makes night leveling worse than daytime leveling. Sad

Getting ready to watch wrestling tonight that's starting live right now. I haven't watched this particular PPV event in years. XD

(Aug 22nd, 2021, 01:05 AM)Moonface Wrote:
I honestly expected you to not be willing all the way to retirement, if you had been willing at all. Then again, my position has me hauling heavy stuff around all the time and the idea of doing that in another 30 years from now isn't appealing no matter the pay. ROFL

Yeah, no, I really mean it when I say I like my job. And I STARTED OUT liking my job, too; this isn't a feeling I've grown into. If anything, my growing cynicism is just because this pandemic has really shown to me how little people give a s*** about us. The "essential workers" who are paid so abysmally, they can't afford food, yet are expected to cater to the every whim. They don't care if we are okay; as long as there are enough warm bodies to keep the lights on, they couldn't care any less.

And note, my cynicism has NOTHING to do with the actual corporation I work for. I do actually think, at the local level, the managers that I have directly worked for do care about me as a person, even if I'm just another cog in the machine. The people I have worked under have been some of the greatest people I've ever known, and I'm thankful every day that they gave me a chance to let me show what I can do. No joke, I'm struggling not to cry as I type these words; that's how much I love working where I do.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 23rd, 2021

I feel that. The reason I won't transfer is because the managers I work under right now are too good to risk going to another store where the managers could be trash or expect me to work hours I don't want. My immediate manager wants to eventually move stores and if that day arrives while I still work there and his replacement is awful, it would make me consider a transfer.
As the saying goes, people quit people, not necessarily the corporation they work for. Or something like that.

Have my first class today at university, although it's probably just going to be looking at the syllabus and going back home. Tongue
@Karo: Are you taking any classes this semester? Same question applies to anyone else too, but I only know Karo is still actively in school so that's why I singled her out. Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Aug 23rd, 2021

Yup I'm taking a redo of my 3D design because I had it on Friday and was a complete mess about it so I just dropped it. Since its Tuesday & Thursday I'm hoping I'll be able to stay on top of it and my Lithography class. My other two are just art history classes so with just two studio classes and two ARH classes i'm hoping I'll stay on top of thing.

My syllabus days are tomorrow Moony and then I'll probably have a syllabus day on Friday with some demoing the course schedule that the professor has up didn't really say we were going to start working right away.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 23rd, 2021

I can't remember if I still have any art history classes left to take. I might have one to do but I forget. ROFL
I actually thought your classes started early because I haven't seen you obsessively playing DbD like you normally do. Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Aug 25th, 2021

My co-worker finally came back to the office today and it was honestly one of the best days of work I've had in a while. I missed him very much; his antics were always a bout of whimsy I enjoyed in my life.