Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jul 4th, 2018

I second Tsu, PM your GIFs. That person wearing the eagle mask has true spirit there. XD

Boom.

Ugh, kinda just want to skip over tomorrow and start Friday. Still, I suppose I want it since it's not a day of work. So yay in that case.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 5th, 2018

I'm sure that, if there was an award given for being impractical, I would be setting records on the number of times I would have won it.

The keyboard of my laptop broke, so I went and bought a replacement one to take with me when I'm off for work. Ok, fine, that's cool... but then I realized that I needed an USB hub as well, because my damn built-in mouse also broke (computer rot? Is that you?) and THEN I realized that they were probably not going to survive a ton, since I must have bumped them a million times already going on and off the bus and thru the streets. So, what did I do? Bought another one of each (keyboard, mice, hub).

And it's kinda funny, because the second pair I ended up leaving home to use for leisure. And, since they are all different brands from the ones I'm using for work, there's differences all around. It's nuts Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 5th, 2018

(Jul 5th, 2018, 12:21 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
I'm sure that, if there was an award given for being impractical, I would be setting records on the number of times I would have won it.

The keyboard of my laptop broke, so I went and bought a replacement one to take with me when I'm off for work. Ok, fine, that's cool... but then I realized that I needed an USB hub as well, because my damn built-in mouse also broke (computer rot? Is that you?) and THEN I realized that they were probably not going to survive a ton, since I must have bumped them a million times already going on and off the bus and thru the streets. So, what did I do? Bought another one of each (keyboard, mice, hub).

And it's kinda funny, because the second pair I ended up leaving home to use for leisure. And, since they are all different brands from the ones I'm using for work, there's differences all around. It's nuts Tongue

Get a nice sturdy Mech keyboard, it will survive and if some one tries to attack you, you have a nice blunt weapon for self defense Whistle

(Jul 5th, 2018, 12:56 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Get a nice sturdy Mech keyboard, it will survive and if some one tries to attack you, you have a nice blunt weapon for self defense Whistle

I SO wanted to do that, but I can't find any!

I mean, damn, I still have the one I bought in 1996 and I bet still works flawlessly (kind of can't plug it into anything from this side of the XXI century). I also remember it being insanely satisfying to type on, with some very nice auditory feedback upon smashing it while playing Pandemonium! or chatting on the MSN Messenger Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 5th, 2018

(Jul 5th, 2018, 01:02 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

I mean, damn, I still have the one I bought in 1996 and I bet still works flawlessly (kind of can't plug it into anything from this side of the XXI century). I also remember it being insanely satisfying to type on, with some very nice auditory feedback upon smashing it while playing Pandemonium! or chatting on the MSN Messenger Tongue

search for a PS/2 -> USB converter.

(Jul 5th, 2018, 01:07 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 5th, 2018, 01:02 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

search for a PS/2 -> USB converter.

Man, that's tempting.

You know what? Maybe I will... after all, I really dig that keyboard.

Will let ya know how it went (as long as eleven or so years worth of dirt don't kill me first).

So, did you guys enjoy celebrating Fourth of July?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 6th, 2018

(Jul 5th, 2018, 10:12 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
So, did you guys enjoy celebrating Fourth of July?

I didn't do anything so I guess? IDK.

Rant time:

I am sick of hearing about how Puerto Rico was fucked by Trump. Is Trump bad, sure but not the worse.

Puerto Rico was hit by two hurricanes in a short period of time,

Puerto Rico is ripe with corruption among its elites (and chances are if it becomes a state will rival Illinois as most corrupt state)

Their power grid was extremely outdated with no actual action to do upgrades for years (before the storm)*

The Puerto Rico Goverment (power company is government owned and operated) took months to request mutual aid from the states instead relaying on private contracting companies. As opposed to requting it before the storm hit as most other places do

Then you have the claims of "Trump favored Texas". Logistically Texas is easier to get to with LAND, air, and sea routes, Rico only had sea and air routes that were blocked and damaged from the storm, All of Texas wasn't destroyed by the storm. Even if all land and sea ports were open at undamaged capacities you can only funnel so many ships and so much air traffic at a time. You are comparing Apples and Oranges.
Texas also did not have two hurricanes hit it in a time span of a week.

* https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/repair-or-renovate-puerto-rico-faces-stark-power-grid-options/

</rant>

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 6th, 2018

I don't celebrate the fourth of July, so it was just another day for me. I worked and played video games like normal.

I get paid time and a half on holidays, so I'd rather be working anyways.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 6th, 2018

Didn't do anything special for July 4th and the most I'd have cared to do was set off fireworks. Very little incentive to celebrate American independence when you're not American. Whistle

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 6th, 2018

(Jul 6th, 2018, 05:01 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Didn't do anything special for July 4th and the most I'd have cared to do was set off fireworks. Very little incentive to celebrate American independence when you're not American. Whistle

Guess who just loss their green card/visa/what ever you have. Whistle

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 7th, 2018

@PM: I don't think Puerto Rico has actual chances to become a state, not with the way America is ran at the present. Like, I just don't see it possible for Washington to start embracing a fully latin country after how it's been treating the race.

@Moony: That does not stop me from celebrating Quebec Day and Canada Day (when I remember them) Tongue

May I post a little rant of my own? Ok, cool. Thanks Tongue

So... I was told by an acquaintance that a site I used to really dig is now banning people left and right for using adblockers.

Excuse me?! I'm sick and tired of sites acting all high and mighty because users won't put up with their virus-riddled, poor-in-taste ads. Besides, it's not like they were subtle about it... try loading that site without your adblocker up, it has layer after layer of ads. And the whole site slugs as a result.

Needless to say, I'm taking my business elsewhere. It is one thing to rely on ads to help you pay the bills and it is a completely different one to alienate the users with them.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 7th, 2018

(Jul 7th, 2018, 12:00 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
@PM: I don't think Puerto Rico has actual chances to become a state, not with the way America is ran at the present. Like, I just don't see it possible for Washington to start embracing a fully latin country after how it's been treating the race.

So... I was told by an acquaintance that a site I used to really dig is now banning people left and right for using adblockers.

Excuse me?! I'm sick and tired of sites acting all high and mighty because users won't put up with their virus-riddled, poor-in-taste ads. Besides, it's not like they were subtle about it... try loading that site without your adblocker up, it has layer after layer of ads. And the whole site slugs as a result.

Needless to say, I'm taking my business elsewhere. It is one thing to rely on ads to help you pay the bills and it is a completely different one to alienate the users with them.
1) There has been talk for the past 20+ years of Rico becoming a state, current rhetoric is "Rico wouldn't have been as bad as shape as it was in after the hurricanes if it was a State!" (Bullshit, you guys blamed Bush Jr on "Racism" when New Orleans flooded despite the fact there was a cluster fuck of City and State fuck ups that slowed down Federal Aid, The natural Geography of NOLA (a bowl that is also under sea level), the fact that Lower LA has been experiencing a bunch of loss of its wetlands and other natural protections from hurricanes, that people who other wise were able to or could evac didn't (dispite reminders of Hurricane Camille and the Hurricane Party (myth?).

2) Even if Rico became a state there would be a legal cluster fuck, the US has no official langue. But de facto it is English and the fact that it is the English text of the laws and not any translation (e.g. in English "free" can mean "libre" or "gratis" in French) that is the official text. This will be come a huge ass legal issue tieing up an already full federal court system for decades to come if Rico became a state. (Also: Look at how Quebec sees the rest of Canada, to the point of basically saying in some parts of the Provence "No English allowed").

3) It is some what strategic that Rico is not a state (at lease according to some theories why people in Rico always vote to keep the status quo instead of going to Statehood or Independence. As Rico is not represented in the US Gov't they are exempt from many/most/all taxes from the Federal level (e.g. personal income tax) yet still have all the rights of a US Citizen (because they are citizens).

Also fuck that website, if I wanted viruses and shit I'd just download BonziBuddy.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 7th, 2018

Quote:2) Even if Rico became a state there would be a legal cluster fuck, the US has no official langue. But de facto it is English and the fact that it is the English text of the laws and not any translation (e.g. in English "free" can mean "libre" or "gratis" in French) that is the official text. This will be come a huge ass legal issue tieing up an already full federal court system for decades to come if Rico became a state. (Also: Look at how Quebec sees the rest of Canada, to the point of basically saying in some parts of the Provence "No English allowed").

Honestly, that's not as big of a deal as it may look to be at first glance.

I mean, it would absolutely be at least a bit painful to re-shape everything in Puerto Rico to fit the English language. That it is completely true. However... a lot of people in Latin American countries speak English as their second language and are pretty masterful at it, to the point only senior citizens and/or people resisting to embrace the US and their customs would be truly affected by the sudden change.

And trust me, the opposite is also true. When we had that... misunderstanding with the Kelpers (Falkland Island residents) they were quick to adapt to the newly-imposed Spanish language, even if they were bitter about the whole time and would not use it unless in presence of an armed soldier or officer.

We also changed the way they drove, making them drive to the other site of the road. That didn't cause as many accidents as you'd think it would have.

But Quebec's situation is very real and it may happen in Puerto Rico if they are that passionate about their current ways. I'll give you that.

Quote:Also fuck that website, if I wanted viruses and shit I'd just download BonziBuddy.

BonziBuddy! That was too perfect xD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 7th, 2018

(Jul 7th, 2018, 01:09 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Quote:2) Even if Rico became a state there would be a legal cluster fuck, the US has no official langue. But de facto it is English and the fact that it is the English text of the laws and not any translation (e.g. in English "free" can mean "libre" or "gratis" in French) that is the official text. This will be come a huge ass legal issue tieing up an already full federal court system for decades to come if Rico became a state. (Also: Look at how Quebec sees the rest of Canada, to the point of basically saying in some parts of the Provence "No English allowed").

Honestly, that's not as big of a deal as it may look to be at first glance.

I mean, it would absolutely be at least a bit painful to re-shape everything in Puerto Rico to fit the English language. That it is completely true. However... a lot of people in Latin American countries speak English as their second language and are pretty masterful at it, to the point only senior citizens and/or people resisting to embrace the US and their customs would be truly affected by the sudden change.

And trust me, the opposite is also true. When we had that... misunderstanding with the Kelpers (Falkland Island residents) they were quick to adapt to the newly-imposed Spanish language, even if they were bitter about the whole time and would not use it unless in presence of an armed soldier or officer.

We also changed the way they drove, making them drive to the other site of the road. That didn't cause as many accidents as you'd think it would have.

But Quebec's situation is very real and it may happen in Puerto Rico if they are that passionate about their current ways. I'll give you that.

Quote:Also fuck that website, if I wanted viruses and shit I'd just download BonziBuddy.

BonziBuddy! That was too perfect xD

Long legal battles are fought on, die, and win, on single misspellings, simple grammar mistakes, and obvious typos. The most likely thing I see happening is either 1) An official Spanish langue translation (i.e. you can be tried in court under the Spanish translation) of every federal law will happen (and we know fuck ups will happen, along with legal battles over should the defendant be tried under English or Spanish [aka the defense will try to use which ever one benefits the defendant and the Government will want to use what ever benefits the Government]) and there will be legal battles over that or 2) Current unofficial translations (which you will not be tried under in the court of law) will be given out and only cause (more?) confusion/"confusion".

The Falkland island issue is some what different because your country invaded an Island that is under control of the Queen, even as an American I can say you don't go pissing off the Queen. Wink