Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 7th, 2018

Quote:Long legal battles are fought on, die, and win, on single misspellings, simple grammar mistakes, and obvious typos. The most likely thing I see happening is either 1) An official Spanish langue translation (i.e. you can be tried in court under the Spanish translation) of every federal law will happen (and we know fuck ups will happen, along with legal battles over should the defendant be tried under English or Spanish [aka the defense will try to use which ever one benefits the defendant and the Government will want to use what ever benefits the Government]) and there will be legal battles over that or 2) Current unofficial translations (which you will not be tried under in the court of law) will be given out and only cause (more?) confusion/"confusion".

That looks like it would solve nothing... and only add to the fire xD

Riddle me something, though: How ARE non-English speakers currently tried in the US when arrested? I'd assume a translator is provided by the state to help them understand the situation better? That could work nicely.

Quote:The Falkland island issue is some what different because your country invaded an Island that is under control of the Queen, even as an American I can say you don't go pissing off the Queen. undefined

Water under the bridge.

I just brought it up because it involved a sudden change of language to an established community by an external force.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 7th, 2018

(Jul 7th, 2018, 01:50 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Quote:Long legal battles are fought on, die, and win, on single misspellings, simple grammar mistakes, and obvious typos. The most likely thing I see happening is either 1) An official Spanish langue translation (i.e. you can be tried in court under the Spanish translation) of every federal law will happen (and we know fuck ups will happen, along with legal battles over should the defendant be tried under English or Spanish [aka the defense will try to use which ever one benefits the defendant and the Government will want to use what ever benefits the Government]) and there will be legal battles over that or 2) Current unofficial translations (which you will not be tried under in the court of law) will be given out and only cause (more?) confusion/"confusion".

Riddle me something, though: How ARE non-English speakers currently tried in the US when arrested? I'd assume a translator is provided by the state to help them understand the situation better? That could work nicely.

Quote:The Falkland island issue is some what different because your country invaded an Island that is under control of the Queen, even as an American I can say you don't go pissing off the Queen. undefined

Whatever under the bridge.

I just brought it up because it involved a sudden change of language to an established community by an external force.

No idea about Rico but yes generally to my knowledge translators are used, I have no idea on the effectiveness over all (because you are already dealing with three languages, legalese {more formal English that is often defined by written law and case law), English, and Latin (e.g. [it self Latin] et al, amicus curiae, de facto, de jure, etc [again Latin]}).
Effectiveness I would imagine would depend on 1) Size of the community that speaks the language in the area (i.e. boarder states might have more qualified Legal translators then Bumfuck Iowa, which might have an issue finding some one who has a background in Spanish). 2) Size of the community in general (again Huston Texas vs Bumbfuck Iowa)
It is not so much an external force in the case of Rico but more of your "Uncle Sam who you have semi-distant relations with" then you moving next door to him.

As far as my comment on the Falkland war I was more being a smart ass Tongue

(Jul 7th, 2018, 02:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

No idea about Rico but yes generally to my knowledge translators are used, I have no idea on the effectiveness over all (because you are already dealing with three languages, legalese {more formal English that is often defined by written law and case law), English, and Latin (e.g. [it self Latin] et al, amicus curiae, de facto, de jure, etc [again Latin]}).
Effectiveness I would imagine would depend on 1) Size of the community that speaks the language in the area (i.e. boarder states might have more qualified Legal translators then Bumfuck Iowa, which might have an issue finding some one who has a background in Spanish). 2) Size of the community in general (again Huston Texas vs Bumbfuck Iowa)  
It is not so much an external force in the case of Rico but more of your "Uncle Sam who you have semi-distant relations with" then you moving next door to him.

These days you are far more likely to find at least a couple of fluent (if not native) Spanish speakers in the US than you were on the past. Them wanting to work for the legal system is a completely unrelated issue, though... and one that I can see breaking a bit of havoc when it comes to implementing it.

Well, by "external" I meant more along the lines of "not from/in the area". But yeah, I can see what you mean.

And don't worry, I knew you were joking. Also, I wanted to write "water under the bridge", but it came out as "whatever". Stupid me Tongue

(Jul 7th, 2018, 02:15 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 7th, 2018, 02:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

These days you are far more likely to find at least a couple of fluent (if not native) Spanish speakers in the US than you were on the past. Them wanting to work for the legal system is a completely unrelated issue, though... and one that I can see breaking a bit of havoc when it comes to implementing it.
The issue comes in that legalese is basically its own form of English (and then mixed with Latin). So even if some one is fluent in Spanish and English that doesn't make it so that they are well versed in the minefield that is legalese and law flat out. If they are not well verse in legalese then what they may translate is prima facie (latin for at first glace/at face value) in plain langue, but when you add legal definitions from law and statute and case law, things get way more complex.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 7th, 2018

Off to Orlando this weekend to hang out with some of Shira's friends. What plans do you guys have for the weekend? Smile

(Jul 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Off to Orlando this weekend to hang out with some of Shira's friends. What plans do you guys have for the weekend? Smile

Reliving the crushing reality life has screwed me over, once again?
There are no real IT jobs in my area it seems, the ones that are posted require more education then I have, and/or more experience then I have FOR ENTRY LEVEL JOBS even including internships. Even jobs I find are massivily underpaid like I found an IT job for a nearish school district (where all the rich people live) and its paying only 25k a year...I couldn't even live(i.e. move out of my parents house) on 28/29k a year... (the ones that require a higher degree then I have are not even paying much more if any more then 25k it seems)

FML

Have fun, Moony Smile

@PM: Got my PM, dude? I'm sure something will come out.

(Jul 7th, 2018, 04:16 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Have fun, Moony Smile

@PM: Got my PM, dude? I'm sure something will come out.

Yeah I just saw it after I made that post. Im too use to either a pop up or a toast notification from IF/ZB that I never looked at the PM count before :p

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 7th, 2018

There should be a notification box at the top of every page telling you there's a new PM in your inbox.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 7th, 2018

(Jul 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM)Moonface Wrote:

Getting ready to go to New York. Went out shopping yesterday for some stuff I needed (new shoes, pants, some other shit). Ended up spending $170. Good thing Monocle is letting me stay at his place for free, because I'm already spending a ton just getting ready to go there. Can't believe it's only five more days until I go. Only seven more until the concert, which I can't wait for. I was already super hyped for it, but the Miku twitter account has been retweeting posts from people that have gone to the LA, San Jose and Dallas concerts and the more I see, the more excited I get. 

Oh, and it's my niece's birthday tomorrow, so I'll be going over to my sister's for that.

With England winning their shot at the round of 16 and now in the semi finals I guess this is more relevant
Football is coming home
Everyone has seen the score
They've seen it all before
They just Know
They're so sure
That England's gonna throw it away
Gonna blow it away
Well I know they can play
'Cause I remember Three lions on the shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Fifty-three years of hurt
Never stop them dreaming (again I modified to fit Whistle)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Kazan X. Lemuris - Jul 7th, 2018

I work in a grocery store in the middle of a bar/pub district, so I am dying from all of the drunken England supporters. I don't understand the hype. A bunch of meatheads being paid hundreds of thousands to kick a ball, ugh.

You'd think working class people would be a bit more offended by that, but I guess any excuse to get slaughtered.

(Jul 7th, 2018, 10:22 PM)Kazan X. Lemuris Wrote:
I work in a grocery store in the middle of a bar/pub district, so I am dying from all of the drunken England supporters. I don't understand the hype. A bunch of meatheads being paid hundreds of thousands to kick a ball, ugh.

You'd think working class people would be a bit more offended by that, but I guess any excuse to get slaughtered.

Escapism, every one needs something to make them forget how shitty their lives are/can be. Working class people lately have been screwed over by government and businesses but hey we can feel pride for something at lease, even if its drive grass!

Escapism prevents one from going crazy and worn out from always worrying about shit, a problem I had in college and I don't just mean college classes and life, but other shit too.

Our choice of Escapism is mostly gaming, others do netflix, others TV, others read fiction novels, others really get in to music either listening or playing.
Some people get hell deep in to programming. It all distracts us from our current woes and gives us maybe a chance to feel happy (or in the case of sports) some feeling even if sadness over losing then the constant pressure to do well at work, pay the bills, buy shit needed for life, take care of the kids, go to work, work harder, get a pay cut so some jackass who already makes enough can get their third fucking yacht, have the prices of everything you need go up while your wage hasn't gone up since you started your job, and if it has it has been under inflation so you are making less then you were before.

That is way more then enough to break some one if they don't have something to distract them, trust me I know.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Hotspot - Jul 8th, 2018

Does anyone remember the moist meme lady? I was looking for the original online, and found an alternate version.

[Image: 34f32a5f4d3b17dae73397f08ee65134c5fecc33...8018_1.jpg]

What a gem, what a classic.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 8th, 2018

(Jul 8th, 2018, 02:51 AM)Hotspot Wrote:
Does anyone remember the moist meme lady? I was looking for the original online, and found an alternate version.

[Image: 34f32a5f4d3b17dae73397f08ee65134c5fecc33...8018_1.jpg]

What a gem, what a classic.

No and quite frankly it is something I could go my whole life with out seeing.

But it reminded me of this:

[Image: 7BNjCSm.jpg]