Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Dec 21st, 2021

Hmm, thought we had a topic for web browsers, but couldn't find anything when I searched for it. Must be old age messing with my memory.

Anyways, getting to the point, I've been reading a lot of praise for the Opera GX browser that came out in... 2020, I think? Maybe 2019? Not completely sure on that, but it's a relatively new version of Opera that people seem to be going crazy for. I never cared for original Opera, but I might have to check out this GX version of it to see what it's like.

They advertise it as a "web browser for gamers" that comes with a lot of features that are supposed to help boost your performance (such as a RAM limiter). Apparently has a shit ton of customization as well.

Has anyone here tried it and has an opinion on it?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Dec 21st, 2021

@Moonface Compared to the rental, it's a lot larger, but the old house was larger than this one as well. The problem is because of the logical placement of furniture, that's just how everything ended up getting placed because, for some dumb reason, I have a sliding glass door that leads to outside, so I have to leave that unblocked!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Dec 21st, 2021

To follow up on my last post:

Turns out Monocle uses Opera and he said it's really good, so I decided to go ahead and download the Opera GX version to try. So far I really like it. I haven't delved too deep into how much you can customize it, but I do like that you can set it to make sounds when you type, hover over a link or click a button. Just adds a little something to the browser. Will get into the rest of the customization at a later time.

So far it's very fast as well, so that's a good sign. If it continues to prove itself for the next couple of weeks, I'll probably default right to it on my gaming PC and not even bother with Chrome any more.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Dec 21st, 2021

@Dragon Lord: I can't even think of the last time I heard Opera even mentioned by someone. I'd consider the GX version if it's able to load fast while I'm running a game, because if I try to use Chrome while running a game it takes ages to load anything and I just end up resorting to my phone instead.

@Maniakkid25: Oh, reminds me of @ShiraNoMai's room in her old apartment. She had a sliding glass door in her room too and better yet, it was the route to access the laundry so even though no one really used the balcony for leisure it couldn't be blocked because of that. Being the way to the laundry also meant people walking through all the time which was great when playing games. Rolleyes

Just got off an 11 shift at work. I'm so happy I have tomorrow off so I can just die. =3

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Dec 21st, 2021

(Dec 20th, 2021, 07:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Dec 20th, 2021, 05:07 PM)Karo Wrote:
...I hope you'll be able to visit your family and EL in England next year Moony!
Now that you've mentioned that part I've changed my mind on going. Whistle
That's fine, he won't be here for that. I'll make sure... Glare

Also, Darn, lucky you I have to suffer tomorrow then die Thursday. Although did enjoy my death today, but annoyed I have to be alive for the morning, ugh. (why did I run with that?)

Huh, a glass door to the outside in a bedroom? I've never thought to be a thing because I'd imagine it would normal to have actual 4 walls with a door in one of them for a bedroom. All you can get is like curtains to block the light, wait is the glass soundproof though? Regardless frick that, I wouldn't want that in my (future) bedroom.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Dec 21st, 2021

Well generally I've only seen a glass door to outside on single story homes or apartments. I don't know if they're actually in bedrooms or if it's just a case of the room being used as a bedroom because there's not much other purpose for it or there are enough people living in the place that the room has to be used as a bedroom. I don't remember if Shira's (our) old apartment was meant to be a two bedroom or if it was supposed to be just one bedroom and the other room was just made into one before I moved in because her and her parents needed a bedroom each. For context @Mr EliteL I'm referring to the room that was the gaming room of the apartment you came to when you visited us. Before I moved in that was Shira's bedroom though.
As for the glass being soundproof, depends. That glass door of the apartment I mentioned absolutely did not block out noise, and living next to an intersection and a hospital meant there was a lot of noise. At least in the current house I live in the glass doors and the windows block out a massive amount of noise, which was important to us when deciding where to move in to. XD

If I was in tomorrow I'd end up being off Friday due to lack of hours (can't work above 40 no matter what although as a part timer I'm not really meant to top 35), and while that would be good my store requires as many people in as possible on Christmas Eve.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Dec 22nd, 2021

Ah yeah that could be it, that being a last alternative to being a bedroom when everything else has been taken, obviously not a kitchen or bathroom apart from very, very extreme cases. Yuck! Ah, so Shira's room used to be that one, OK. I still have photos of your old place on my phone *finds it* ah yes the room looked like that with the glass door. Glad that stopped being a bedroom.

I'm in for Christmas Eve, luckily not to closing but still early as usual and a long shift. That day I expect will be chaos.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Dec 22nd, 2021

I think I have heard of that browser Night Lord I forget what turned me off from it though when I was reading about it. Eh

I wonder how many people actually use their balconys and how many just have them existing. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Dec 22nd, 2021

(Dec 22nd, 2021, 01:24 AM)Karo Wrote:
I wonder how many people actually use their balconys and how many just have them existing. XD
For Florida, I expect they're used more at this time of year when you aren't going to basically roast yourself to death being out there for more than five minutes, similarly to people like myself who have a back yard to sit in. I never go outside to just sit unless the weather is cool and it isn't too humid out.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Dec 22nd, 2021

(Dec 21st, 2021, 10:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:
@Dragon Lord: I can't even think of the last time I heard Opera even mentioned by someone. I'd consider the GX version if it's able to load fast while I'm running a game, because if I try to use Chrome while running a game it takes ages to load anything and I just end up resorting to my phone instead.

The GX version has features that are supposed to be all about helping performance while gaming, so maybe worth it for you to check out? 

So far I'm liking it a lot, but I haven't tested out the limiters yet or tried running a game on Steam with it open with a bunch of tabs. But the whole thing about the browser is that it uses less resources than Chrome plus you can further limit the resources it is using .

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Dec 23rd, 2021

I just hope that browser doesn't go the route of every other that starts out not being a resource hog and then becomes one. I remember when Chrome was favored over Firefox because the latter became bloated and if I'm not mistaken now Firefox is less bloated than Chrome is. I also find Chrome really gets bad if you have multiple tabs open and you're doing something else resource intensive because if you go back to any of the open ones they end up hanging while Chrome tries to retrieve the info that was already loaded.

Also while it's on my mind and I forgot to ask prior, did you transfer stores yet @Maniakkid25 or do you have to make the trip to the one you were working at prior to moving?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Dec 24th, 2021

Yeah, Firefox is less bloated than Chrome and also has privacy options that can help people. I like that Opera GX has a built in ad-block. Don't have to worry about installing any extensions. Just asks you during installation if you want adblock on or not.

So my PC arrived today... I wasn't expecting it for like two or three more weeks, figuring that the holiday season would delay it by quite a bit. I haven't gotten around to making room for it yet or even buying a desk, so I guess I'll be suffering having it sitting in the box in front of me, not being able to use it at all. Pain.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Dec 25th, 2021

Just put it all together and sit on the floor like a complete degen Smile Make sure to put your PC up on a tile of glass though. No straight to carpet or flooring cuz that's a no no Smile

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Dec 25th, 2021

(Dec 23rd, 2021, 07:58 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Also while it's on my mind and I forgot to ask prior, did you transfer stores yet @Maniakkid25 or do you have to make the trip to the one you were working at prior to moving?

It was already set up before I got here, so I was working two days after moving, so that was convenient for me. New store is tiny.

Merry Christmas, pplz.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Dec 25th, 2021

If you get the same hours that sounds like a win @Maniakkid25 since a smaller store probably means less workload. Grin
Merry Christmas to you too!

@Dragon Lord: Have you been looking at any desks at all yet, or did you not start thinking you had more time still?