Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Mar 17th, 2022

If you really want to know? https://cpb-us-e2.wpmucdn.com/sites.uci.edu/dist/d/1838/files/2015/01/Greenberg-Clement-Avant-Garde-and-Kitsch-copy.pdf Follow this link and open your eye to the truth that the peasant can't truly understand the avant garde and much prefer the kitsch! D:< What was the kitsch project btw?

It going pretty good I honestly feel like it going by so fast I can take a breather, but the week is almost over... ;-;

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 17th, 2022

I will read that on a day when I'm not already having to read dozens of research articles for a project that's due tomorrow night. Tongue

And yeah I know the feeling. I feel like a week is nothing anymore, especially when it comes to taking a break or vacation. Probably because in the past a week off didn't require me to do adulting so every waking minute could be entirely to myself and no chores or anything else. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Mar 17th, 2022

TO be honest the only reason I read it was because it was an assigned assignment for me. It was interesting, but I honestly think Greenberg was just some snob that wanted to pretend that the art he liked was wayyyyy better than anyone else. Eh If you do decide to read it let me know what you think! (Goes for anyone else here too!)

Not having to do adulting is so nice and relaxinggggg! Grin

What assignments are due tonight and what are they about anything interesting?

If I remember I'll try to read it, or at least skim it to try and get a rough idea of it. XD

I had to pick an item in my house to write a paper about in relation to art history. The assignment due tomorrow night is an annotated bibliography of six peer-reviewed or academically trustworthy sources of research related to my chosen object. Luckily I've done a research paper before (my paper on using video games in prison for rehabilitation) so it hopefully won't be too hard for me to put something together.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Mar 17th, 2022

Oof that long article of...something I'd rather not read about. Kitsch? I can't remember what I did for the project in college. I remember it being about stuff you find in shops near seaside/beaches and we went on a trip to one. Or stuff that made no sense or reason or something like that.

A week off really does feel like nothing. Petition for everyone to have an amount of time like 6 weeks off like kids and teens and young adults studying, plus no "adulting" included either. Everyone needs a long assed rest to enjoy free time, damnit! Too bad no one who could change it will agree. Screw them all. Glare

(Mar 17th, 2022, 09:01 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Oof that long article of...something I'd rather not read about. Kitsch? I can't remember what I did for the project in college. I remember it being about stuff you find in shops near seaside/beaches and we went on a trip to one. Or stuff that made no sense or reason or something like that.

A week off really does feel like nothing. Petition for everyone to have an amount of time like 6 weeks off like kids and teens and young adults studying, plus no "adulting" included either. Everyone needs a long assed rest to enjoy free time, damnit! Too bad no one who could change it will agree. Screw them all. Glare
I can't remember what you did either. I know mine was a poster for a new ride at the Adventure Island theme park that was near our uni, and I hate everything about that piece nowadays. No one in their right mind would ever put that trash on a billboard. ROFL
I also bet the thing wouldn't even qualify as anything to do with Kitsch. XD

Even if they did agree what would happen for all the stuff like shopping, house chores, etc. that have to be done when you don't have parents to do it anymore like when you're a kid? I guess you could just go away somewhere so you don't have to deal with most of that like when you go to a hotel but then we'd have to pay for it and you can be certain it would only be affordable for all the rich pencil pushing CEO's who's sole job is to line their own pockets and throw everyone else under the bus. Whistle

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 25th, 2022

It got really tempting today to look for a new job but I doubt I'd find anything that pays well and doesn't have utterly awful working hours... Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 26th, 2022

So, I'm gonna be an uncle. Yeah, my sister is pregnant, so...that confused me, because she's in a gay marriage, but whatevs, its a thing, I guess.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Mar 26th, 2022

Congrats I guess on that, Maniak. My brother's sort of gotten a taste of looking after kids because his partner's siblings all have children and they often see them, and one day myself, those two and one of the kids went out to a small Con once. I forget what that makes him and by extension me once my brother and partner marry later this year. Step-uncle for him, step-cousin for me and our sister? Hm. Agh, family trees!

@Moonface : Same, well I haven't had the brunt of it yet but our manager's been in a bad mood and treating people like crap. He went off on a new guy who dropped a pallet over of produce from the lorry, so tomatoes went everywhere and it was poorly stacked by whoever from delivery/main warehouse or whatever it's called. Had a go at a section manager when she just came back from a break, to god knows what else. I haven't been keeping tabs on what other stuff has been going on, those two are the most recent, plus lack of colleagues making shifts annoying (except Wednesday), nights, plus Mother's Day, plus more. I've just taken it mostly in stride since I haven't been exactly affected yet personally but can see how shit it is.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Mar 26th, 2022

(Mar 26th, 2022, 02:53 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
So, I'm gonna be an uncle. Yeah, my sister is pregnant, so...that confused me, because she's in a gay marriage, but whatevs, its a thing, I guess.

It's quite common for gay couples to either: get a surrogate (for couples without wombs) or get a sperm donor (for couples with wombs). Congrats on your sister and her wife, though, and yourself for being an uncle! You've now got plenty of crotch-goblin experience to be a cool uncle now, probably, so that's a win ROFL

In regards to work bullshit, I'm waiting for when humanity (especially Western civ culture) starts to learn what the fuck empathy and selfless behavior is. There's too much of this "I help me to benefit me" that just dominos into other people, and creates a self-fulfilling culture of just that. Capitalism is a toxin that needs to be purged.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Mar 27th, 2022

I'm waiting for that day too. Darn it.

Ugh, so tired. Accepted to do 5-hour shift today after two 10 hours, then another 10, 4-6 depending on my mood on Tues, then 7 on Wed. Felt more tired today that I thought, so better get a good night sleep tonight. Daylight Savings happened here, but I was prepared. Just...tired. =__=

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 29th, 2022

(Mar 26th, 2022, 02:53 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Congrats! I'm curious how a gay female couple decides which of the two will be the one to carry the child. Hmm

(Mar 26th, 2022, 06:52 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
@Moonface : Same, well I haven't had the brunt of it yet but our manager's been in a bad mood and treating people like crap. He went off on a new guy who dropped a pallet over of produce from the lorry, so tomatoes went everywhere and it was poorly stacked by whoever from delivery/main warehouse or whatever it's called. Had a go at a section manager when she just came back from a break, to god knows what else. I haven't been keeping tabs on what other stuff has been going on, those two are the most recent, plus lack of colleagues making shifts annoying (except Wednesday), nights, plus Mother's Day, plus more. I've just taken it mostly in stride since I haven't been exactly affected yet personally but can see how shit it is.
Lack of colleagues is the biggest issue of my store right now. So far almost every person who has left has not been replaced, with their workload instead just put onto everybody else. I'm shocked my phone didn't blow up today but the fallout of last week when I was by myself (coworker went on vacation for a week) is probably waiting to happen tomorrow when I'm actually present in the building for it to be discussed. Rolleyes

(Mar 26th, 2022, 09:24 PM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
In regards to work bullshit, I'm waiting for when humanity (especially Western civ culture) starts to learn what the fuck empathy and selfless behavior is. There's too much of this "I help me to benefit me" that just dominos into other people, and creates a self-fulfilling culture of just that. Capitalism is a toxin that needs to be purged.
Yeah, my experience of America has felt like there's a lot of "I've got mine fuck you" mentality to things, and yet those same people who perpetuate that will be the first to complain when someone gives that attitude back at them. I'm not saying everyone should help each other but at least don't throw everyone else under the bus for your own benefit or be abusive about favors. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Apr 3rd, 2022

I'm finding it a little hard to believe it's already April, but thinking on it, 2022 has been pretty eventful so far, so idk really.

Anyone enjoying some good weather this weekend, or is it a hell hole like it is in South Florida? ROFL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Apr 3rd, 2022

Yup, April already, it's insane how quick the three months went by.

It's still like Winter here early on in the day, when the Sun does come out though it gets warmer but that's like way after midday it actually starts to feel better, because my room is nice a cosy, but when I leave it's freezing elsewhere. XD UK weather, geez.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Apr 3rd, 2022

It might as well still be winter for me, considering I got lucky enough to catch a severe cold, if not the flu outright. I've had a fun week, and I'm still in the thick of it (got a cough like a smoker and a voice that could cut glass).