Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 24th, 2022

I think the problem with college is the culture surrounding it that you have to go there the second you leave school if you want a decent career. It feels like there's a very big all or nothing view to it. I felt like I had to do it because teachers pushed the idea; I recall some kids outright said they didn't want to go to college and it wasn't received very well.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Apr 29th, 2022

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Young adults should be given opportunities to choose whichever path is best for them and give them time to figure it out. Putting everyone into the same mold leads to lots of mistakes and regret--usually expensive ones that puts them into a lifetime of debt and/or poverty.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 30th, 2022

I don't think it helps when in places like the UK, college (ages 16-18) is free to everyone but only if you are under 18, which basically means you have to start it as soon as you graduate secondary school. If you take even a single year break, you will be paying a fee because at least one of your two years will be when you have passed 18. Then because what you did in college was likely working towards a degree program at a university, you feel an obligation to move into university so as to not have wasted the two years you spent in college, especially because if you need to do college again it's now going to cost you money.

Ugh, one more week of homework and I'll finally be done with everything for this semester. It's going to feel weird having so much free time again. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - May 1st, 2022

At least you have that luxury. We get dumped out into the world after high school, where ALL college costs money. It's why they start asking where you think you'll be going by like, 10th grade, so you have some idea as to what you could be doing. You'd be lucky to have electives in that high school that even relate to what you'd possibly want to do so you don't even get a trial run at it until you get to the college and already start spending money. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 1st, 2022

True, I guess you could say that the way UK college works let's you have a free trial compared to the instant price payment of US college. I just wonder if UK college being free encourages more people to go in, only to then feel obligated to stick with what they were doing in college because of the sunk cost fallacy. Hmm

I think another dumb thing with it all is that regular decent paying jobs like plumbing and other trades are downplayed because they're not extravagant jobs just because you get your hands a little dirty. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - May 9th, 2022

A lot of non-college jobs are definitely looked down upon and seen as lesser and I think that also gives a way for company to get away with treating their workers as disposable. I was really happy to hear Amazon finally getting a union and I think Starbucks has a union fighting to get unionized? At least with a union they'll hopefully be able to fight back from being mistreated, but we shall see what happens.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 9th, 2022

Companies that treat their workers as disposable doesn't mean the job has to be non-college I think. All that requires is there to be a line of people happily waiting at the door to replace someone the instant they go out. I know a few stories about contractors working on video games have been coming out lately and that is certainly not a non-college job. Tongue

Nice to see you back @Karo! I guess your semester finally ended? Smile

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 18th, 2022

I swear mobile game companies need to be regulated when it comes to advertising. I just saw an ad that literally depicted the "help me step bro I'm stuck" meme by having a maid get stuck in some random tunnel at the back of a kitchen stove top trying to rescue a cat that jumped in there. The ad then offers the following options to help her: cheese grater, oil, scissors, or food mixer.

The ad picks the grater, ruins her clothes, and then chooses the food mixer at which point the camera cuts to the maids face showing pleasure as the food mixer gets used who knows where and how...

Between that and all the games that advertise anything but what the game really is there really needs to be something to stamp this trash out. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - May 18th, 2022

It has but I'm kinda feeling a bit burnt out right now hopefully I'll stop feeling that way soon. XD

I tend to ignore most mobile game ads, but oddly enough I have yet to ever see that one. Though I'm kinda shocked that I never got that one? XD

I think that one a bit too much, but they do tend to be very cringe!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 18th, 2022

Are you burnt out from taking on more classes than you should have or are you just still trying to get used to the college lifestyle/workload?

I don't normally see them but a game I downloaded has them rather frequently and today was the first time I got that... experience, and it was just hard to ignore when I saw what it was referencing because I had to see where it was going to take it. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - May 20th, 2022

I warned him the game had annoying ads. ROFL

Anyone got any fun weekend plans? I don't think I do. At best, I got my brother coming over to finally install the ceiling fan we bought almost a year ago LOL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 21st, 2022

(May 20th, 2022, 02:43 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
I warned him the game had annoying ads. ROFL

Anyone got any fun weekend plans? I don't think I do. At best, I got my brother coming over to finally install the ceiling fan we bought almost a year ago LOL
The ad I mentioned didn't even annoy me, it just stunned me that I was even witnessing such an ad in the first place. The rest just annoy me because they're all fake as fuck. Hmph

Right now my weekend plan is to sleep better than I did last night. Despite going to bed early I was classified as awake for 5+ minutes more than two dozen times by my Fitbit during a five hour period so I didn't really get any decent sleep. It's taking all my willpower now to not just call it a day and go to bed right this moment. x.x

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - May 21st, 2022

I think it was just the constant workload of project after project and me being frustrated with them not going exactly the way I planned? Hmm

That why I generally avoid mobile games, but if this was on PC heaven help us the ads have come for our PC games! D:

I don't really have any plans this weekend really? I hope you get a better night sleep Moony!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 22nd, 2022

(May 21st, 2022, 03:30 AM)Karo Wrote:
I think it was just the constant workload of project after project and me being frustrated with them not going exactly the way I planned? Hmm

That why I generally avoid mobile games, but if this was on PC heaven help us the ads have come for our PC games! D:

I don't really have any plans this weekend really? I hope you get a better night sleep Moony!
Ah, I feel you on that. I had that issue at the start of my semester with being frustrated at things not going right all the time, but my teacher told us that we need to maintain an open mind because it's better to be open to adjustments when things can't turn out right than keep fighting a battle that at that moment can't be won since an idea in your head just won't always turn out exactly that way in reality either due to lack of knowledge, time, or it just isn't as effective and/or a different approach is necessary/better.

Well most ads are just online but an ad blocker solves that, unless it's a rare case like this place where ads just don't exist. Tongue

I got a somewhat better sleep but woke with one of the worst migraines I've had in a very long time. Somehow managed the drive to work and then slept in my car for half an hour to get it to go away after popping some pills, which worked a charm even if it did cause me to punch in half an hour late, but it was worth it. Tongue

I don't think I'm fully over my illness I had last week though. Either that or my allergies are really playing up today. Hard to tell. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - May 23rd, 2022

Hoping the sickness goes away. Seems your immune system is having quite the fight lately.

...and now I just thought of a new emote idea, great! Suffer