Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 28th, 2022

(Jun 28th, 2022, 07:39 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
So that Mall can keep you busy when not watching SGDQ then, eh? I take when you went in you could barely see what was in there straight off, so a lot to venture about in there to see everything? XD

The Mall of America is the largest shopping mall in the United States. Has four floors with 500+ shops. You can easily spend an entire day in there and still not get around to everything it has to offer. Of course this isn't including the various food places on offer in the food court. 

Though not all of the stores in the mall are unique. There's often times duplicate stores in there. Not sure what's in there now, but last time I went there it had like... four or five Gamestops in it. 

It's pretty massive.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jun 29th, 2022

(Jun 28th, 2022, 07:39 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
So that Mall can keep you busy when not watching SGDQ then, eh? I take when you went in you could barely see what was in there straight off, so a lot to venture about in there to see everything? XD
Well there wasn't really any runs this morning that any of us cared for so we decided it would be a good time to check out the mall.
Basically there's an entrance on N, E, S and W. Each one has you basically met with the theme park area in the center of the mall, with the stores placed on a ring that goes around the outside of it. Imagine like a donut with a circle in the middle hole, and the circle contains the theme park, the donut contains the stores, and the gap between the two shapes is the wall dividing them.
I will say that while big, the mall itself isn't actually that good. It's absolutely propped up by the theme park, and if that was removed I don't think even the accolade of being the biggest mall in America would really carry it. Like @Dragon Lord said, a lot of the stores are repeated across the three floors (there are four floors but the top one is mostly just a cinema and performance rooms) so by the time we got done with two floors, it was feeling repetitive. The stores are also just the same you'd see in any mall, with the only one feeling unique being the Lego stores presentation.
I never saw a water park or a Legoland so if those are a thing, they're not inside the mall nor seem to be close outside it because we never saw them. I haven't bothered to look on a map yet to see where they are meant to be, if at all.

But would I recommend going? Not really. Seeing a theme park inside it is cool but once that novelty wears off it could just be any other mall in the country. Shrug

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jun 29th, 2022

Yeah I saw a water park amongst the images when I searched for Mall of America on Google, if that was just thrown in randomly or some person linked/tagged that water park to the mall for whatever reason then darn, I was fooled. Briefly looking back at those images, might've been a planned idea that wasn't made? Ah, I don't know, I'll accept there's nothing there. XD Never mind. Also sounds disappointing if it's just duplicate stores as well, and I'll take your word that it's not worth going to.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 29th, 2022

The waterpark hasn't been built yet. Funding was approved for it by the Bloomington city counsel just a few months ago, so it's not going to actually be built for a couple of years or so. It won't be IN the Mall of America, but will be near/linked to it, becoming an extension of the mall.

Yeah it wouldn't fit inside unless they removed part of the theme park area in the middle which I doubt. It's probably best it isn't inside the mall because of the risk that kids would bring water outside to the main mall area and cause a lot of slip hazards. I am curious if there were proposed images of the water park though, which might be what @Mr EliteL saw?
What about the Legoland?

I'll try to remember to upload the few photos I took in the mall of the things that were cool in there. I'd say besides the theme park the Lego store was by far the most impressive thing in there in terms of presentation. I don't even know if the photo I took of it will do it justice. XD

Also we're planning to be in a few of the runs today (audience, not running obviously) so you might see us. We were in the Silent Hill 4 run near the back if anyone wants to try and find us in that video.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jun 29th, 2022

The only thing I could really find about it was this picture that I assume is a concept image of the water park:

[Image: mystery-cove-6.jpg]

Then there's this which appears to be concept of how it'll look from the outside:

[Image: exterior.webp?h=8ae32378&itok=mkd74O2M]

So looks like it'll be attached to the mall via skyways, and it looks like it'll be a pretty huge in-door water park.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jun 29th, 2022

Yeah it was that image, there was another this one but doesn't fit with the outside look or ceiling of the first image DL showed.

@Moonface/@ShiraNoMai: Did you two watch the Tunic run today? I was watching a bit of it, could barely make out the audience though.

(Jun 29th, 2022, 09:01 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
@Moonface/@ShiraNoMai: Did you two watch the Tunic run today? I was watching a bit of it, could barely make out the audience though.
We did not. I had no plan to watch it because I don't want to be spoiled on the game. We're in the Pokemon Emerald run that's starting right now though, but we're way in the back so you probably won't see us due to the dim lighting.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Jun 30th, 2022

I'll check the VOD-- I did want to watch, but Moony didn't, but it's fine. I gotta remember to get The Yetee shirts at some point.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 2nd, 2022

Last day of SGDQ and then we fly back home tomorrow afternoon. That flight is gonna be rough though because we aren't landing until like 11pm and I think we board at like 5-6pm. I'll laugh though if Delta cancels the flight outright though because I know that's happened to a lot of other flights already this past week. XD

If anyone wants to have the best chance of spotting us, we were in the very front center last night during Celeste.smc and the SMW relay race, both of which were utterly superb and I highly recommend everyone watch those runs! Wow

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jul 2nd, 2022

Week went by so fast, already near the end, yeesh.

Yup I can see you both in there now that you mentioned those two runs, I missed them last night. I shall give them a watch. Grin

We plan to attend the SMM race tonight too, but doubt we'll try to get up front. We only did it last night because we wanted signatures from all the participants.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jul 2nd, 2022

Just realised I couldn't have watched either as they were in the early morning for me, although I was up, I had work so couldn't. The SMW run looks mad as a relay race between two teams. XD Didn't realise Barbarous King was involved in that, nice, cool you got to see him. Grin SMM is on like 2AM for me when I'll be asleep, but enjoy it!

Have you never watched any of the SMW relay races in previous GDQ events @Mr EliteL? And yeah it was really good because after the race I got a photo with Barb and then had everyone on his team sign my team shirt. Grin

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Jul 3rd, 2022

Those races were 100% worth every penny I spent getting here. Absolutely insane levels made by incredibly talented folk with equally talented players kicking their asses. My girl Shoujo being the MVP in both races, free and easy, as expected. 

Everyone is also very cool and just as friendly and approachable in person as they are on stream; moreso, I'd say. 

But yeah, highly recommend watching both relays. Top quality content, and the best GDQ can offer.