Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Sep 30th, 2022

No; we got those fancy impact-resistant windows when we built the house. They freaking worked! When the patio screen went to pieces, they didn't break through the doors. They also resisted direct rain at 140 mph and crap! They good, yo!

Speaking of the storm, it blew out BOTH of the transformers in my neighborhood -- main and backup. FPL (the power company) is currently estimating 2.5 WEEKS before we get power back. I really hope they are faster than that.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Sep 30th, 2022

I'm not going to claim I know how long fixing such a thing should really take even with preparation, but what do they expect people to do for that long without power? Anyone with medication that requires refrigeration for example would be utterly fucked. Never mind that if the entire area you're in lacks power for that long, the chances of finding anywhere to clean your clothes or anything is stupidly slim.

I feel like there has to be a way to build crucial power supplies like that where they're protected from all but the most extreme cases where practically nothing would survive it, yet I won't doubt that everything that gets repaired and rebuilt varies very little from what was there before, just waiting for the next time this happens.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Oct 1st, 2022

Yeah, but see, that costs money, and you know those taxpayers: you'll get my money when you take it from my cold, dead hands! Sure, the project is for my benefit, but I shouldn't have to spend MY money on it!

So the store that I work at has full power now. I don't, but my store does! This whole situation blows, and not even for the reason you think! Really, I just want AC back! I'd kill for some AC at night to sleep with!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Oct 3rd, 2022

It's extra dumb since money is already going to building the stuff that will just fail again next time, and in the long run it'll cost more to keep fixing something versus making it good the first time. Too many people care about short term benefits over long term ones even when the latter is better. Rolleyes

Yeah, lack of AC was what I hated when I last lost power from a storm in Florida. Not only is sleeping horrid without it, but it's hard to do anything for entertainment in the day when you'll just sweat like crazy. x.x

Apparently Publix is sending out a load of employees from stores over here to places like Tampa to help those stores clean up the mess from the storm over there. Not looking forward to management expecting everyone in my store left behind to just magically get all the work done in the same time frame as if we had our full crew when we're losing like five people which is like half of our grocery team. x.x

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Oct 4th, 2022

I can't believe the first hurricane season since you move out on the west coast, @Maniakkid25 , and you get directly hit by one of the most powerful storms to hit in a while. I can feel the anguish from here LOL

I hope things improve sooner, though. Reminds me of the time we dealt with Wilma. How would you compare your experiences, if you don't mind me asking?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Oct 4th, 2022

I got lucky with Wilma; we didn't suffer damage, and had within 3 days. I still don't have power after a week of this. This one has sucked way worse.

My feet hurt, and my dad thinks its weird that, you know, standing on your full weight for 6 straight hours could possibly make someone that's my age's feet hurt. I was planning on taking today off, but now I'm gonna go in just to spite him, because "he's always right!"

Fucking hate him.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Oct 4th, 2022

Nah standing up for 6 hours can make almost anyone tired. Take it easy, Maniak.

Even though we already knew it'll happen at some point, my cat's little escapade on Friday night accelerated her condition quite a bit. She's having so much trouble now, so we've decided to put her down tomorrow. Heck she might not even last the night. Fuck this stupid cold I have, I'll be a wreck tomorrow. I'll try and keep my composure and spent some time with her today, even though she keeps walking away.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Oct 4th, 2022

(Oct 4th, 2022, 03:53 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Nah standing up for 6 hours can make almost anyone tired. Take it easy, Maniak.
Yeah, you explain that to my father, because he won't listen to me.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Oct 5th, 2022

I've stood still in a line for not even half an hour at PAX and felt like my lower half wanted to wither and die. Six hours of standing with little motion and I'd probably look into being classified as disabled. ROFL

Also OMG @Mr EliteL I'm so sorry to hear that! Sad
At least you found her after she got out that one night to actually get last moments with her rather than her just passing away alone who knows where outside.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Oct 5th, 2022

Yeah I'm happy we got that chance with her at the end. She could barely move and just laid down for the entire night and this morning. She wasn't visibly suffering though and looked peaceful which was the main thing. The vet couldn't get the IV in her but will have to inject into her heart, so he'll take care of her. So she's gone now, no cat after over 20 years, more than that as we had a male cat before the two sisters. I love them all dearly and will miss them. Cry

Sorry for your loss EL. Sad Sounds similar to how Dill was; she just basically stayed put to the point she wouldn't even move to go to the bathroom.

Was that particular cat 20 years old or do you mean collectively there was at least one cat present in the house for that time?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Frank - Oct 5th, 2022

@Mr EliteL I'm so sorry for your loss. Loosing a cat is equally as painful as loosing a human member of your family.

That situation kind of reminds me of my last cat we had to have put down. He was my and my mom's cat. He was a skeleton of his former self. Originally weighing close to 30 pounds he was down to like 12. He had an appetite, but kept throwing it up and he had uncontrollable diarrhea. He would go on the carpets, floor, wherever he was.

It was incredibly difficult though, because he had energy. He still roamed around with energy, begged for food, and jumped up to rub against his humans. Even if he acted okay, we knew he was sick. We tried getting him help and nothing worked. We had to put the poor guy down.

This was 6 years ago and it still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. I still can't help thinking "was there something else we could have done?"

(Oct 5th, 2022, 03:32 PM)Frank Wrote:
This was 6 years ago and it still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. I still can't help thinking "was there something else we could have done?"
How old was that cat if you don't mind me asking?
As for whether you could have done something else, I would look at it that the more time spent trying to find a solution means more time the cats quality of life potentially suffers. As you said, it had already dropped down to 12lbs, and while it still exhibited normal behaviours on the flip side it was also showing abnormal and potentially unpleasant ones too. You could have kept looking for a solution but then regret that approach instead if it had gone badly, so there's no saying which choice would be better without taking the risk both carry. You did what you felt was best at the time, and regardless of "what if", I'm sure your pet appreciated the compassion you gave that put their well being first. Smile
It almost reminds me of the lesser of two evils choice pet owners face when their pet is really old and gets a cancer diagnosis; you could treat them, but at that age putting them through the stress and rigors of chemo is a lot and so some feel the better choice is to just let the animal have as peaceful and enjoyable of a time in its old age without being subjected to that instead. Both choices suck, but both are fueled by a place of compassion. I think the best thing to do is just view it that either way you're trying to help, and putting an animal down if it comes to that can be a mercy that we as humans don't get to have due to laws against euthanasia.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Oct 5th, 2022

Yeah she was 20 and a half years old, her sister almost 16 years and before that about 3 years into having the two sisters we had the male.

Luckily she wasn't bad to the point of throwing up, she did leave one bit of poop where she shouldn't once and relieved herself when in the perpetual lying state, so didn't have that for long. There was the problem with her that could've been treated but we chose not too and it didn't seem to bother her too much, and the risk of her not waking up after the procedure wasn't worth taking. She still acted her usual self up until well Friday really. Then her meow which is usually loud become soft and faint, so it was obvious something was happening with her.

I agree with Moony, no doubt you gave that boy a good life, Frank.

I'm doing better than I thought I'd be doing, did grieve already, but more of it might come back later. I'm just a little peeved I can't find some photos of the cats, found some but know I had much more. Hmm.

Oh if she went to the toilet where she was laying then that's a big sign that the towel has been thrown in. 20 years is stupidly long for a cat though; I don't think mine even got to that although they likely came close (hard to say as we never knew Dee and Dill's actual ages). Definitely can't say she didn't have an impressive run although it definitely feels weird for a bit with a pet being absent after that long. That was what persuaded my parents to get Susie after they swore they wouldn't get another cat because the house just felt odd without one after so long.

As for the grief, I was oddly the same. I can't remember much except that Glen (Asda assistant store manager at the time) had the gall to ask if I was coming in in the afternoon because it was just a cat and not like a person had died. I remember just hanging up on the spot before I either lost my job over the phone or lost it by going to the store and tearing him a new one wherever I found his stupid arse. Prick. Rolleyes