Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Mar 17th, 2023

@Maniakkid25 Yeah good luck on your RP, Maniak. Does everyone start with the same low health though? You might know or will find out, but will those types of damage stack into the next tier or you can get like a Stun, then all of a sudden a Mortal damage? I'm not used to Tabletop RPGs, so was just wondering.

Eh, not doing much today, went shopping for groceries then now whatever.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 17th, 2023

Everyone gets with their CON in Stun, their CON in Wound, and half their CON in mortal. And yes, if you fill up the lower tier, you can start taking higher tiers of damage! You're also unconscious if you take enough damage to equal your stun or wound health, so there's that, too. Basically, my only hope to not die is armor, which can resuce damage...BY A DICE ROLL! So yeah, if the gods decide I am to die, that's how it's gonna be.

Also, funnily enough, there's a skill to scratch make explosives, and if I do that and crit fail (roll a natural 20 on the die -- you want to roll as low as possible in this game) while making a fragmentation device, I instantly die with no armor, as it will deal d4+3 mortal damage, and I have 4 mortal health. Even with armor, I have a good shot at dying, because if it rolls max damage, I need at least a 4 on the best armor I can wear. Yeah, I'm living on the edge!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 18th, 2023

@Maniakkid25: Is the RPG a variant set of rules on typical DnD, or is it a different game entirely? I ask just because I'm used to seeing those categories for numbers in DnD as well as all the D rolls, even though I know they're in other things but DnD is probably the most prominent one. Tongue
I will say though that the damage mechanics sound interesting, and probably really good for either a risky long game or just a very crazy shorter game. Based on how hilariously inept the group I played DnD with is/was I don't think we'd ever manage to reach the end of anything long with the type of damage rolls you're describing. ROFL

I think I'm gonna look for a new job when summer rolls around. I've just really had enough of mine now I think and I also just don't want to deal with customers any longer face-to-face either. At least not in a manner where they can directly complicate my job by making a mess of things all over the place. I'd rather just do the sort of thing where I like, handle their appointments for a doctor and can just say "yes/no" to their questions and not need to give much of a shit if they can't get what they want. Shrug

Oh, and my car decided it wouldn't go beyond first gear this morning on my way to work so that was another great part of my day today. I'm hoping whatever the problem is it isn't anything critical or expensive. Errm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 18th, 2023

Completely different ruleset, though the game is technically made by the people who originally made DnD before it was bought out by Wizards of the Coast. That being said, it shares basically no rules with DnD other than "roll a d20 for skills", and even that rule is weird because the bonuses and penalties are die rolls, not flat bonuses. Also, it's weird seeing a -1 being referred to as a "bonus". I mean, it all lines up, but it's weird.

My conversion cable for my power supply came in, so now I am set to change out the power supply. I am totally terrified! ^.=.^;

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Mar 19th, 2023

Prayge to you, sir, on your PC conquest. Hoping this time this is it  Doh

Tomorrow's my mom's 70th birthday. Weird to think about it, but considering I'm turning 30 this year, it makes sense. Time sure is a thing. Suffer Shock This'll be the first birthday she won't celebrate alongside her mother, so I'm sure that'll be different for her. She would've been 85 had she made it past last year.

...yep time sure is. Suffer

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 19th, 2023

(Mar 19th, 2023, 04:09 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Prayge to you, sir, on your PC conquest. Hoping this time this is it  Doh

I beat it this time, but it put up a fight! So, the power supply I bought didn't fit; it was too long, so it didn't fit in between the two sections of the release lever. I bought this power supply on Newegg with a guest account, which means I can't return it. So, at the recommendation of a friend of mine, I came up with a...janky solution. And by janky, I mean this:

[Image: 20230318_233601.jpg]

Yeah, that's my power supply just chilling on top of the case. If Ip0 on Fire were still here, he'd probably have an aneurysm. Despite that, however, it all works, and I didn't blow out the breakers for my room (a thought I had briefly on returning home to finally do this), so I'm calling this done. Fuck this computer, and may it burn in hell.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 21st, 2023

Eh, so long as it isn't dangerous to have the power supply outside the tower case rather than in it, I don't see the problem. Sure it looks janky as heck but I feel it's only worth caring about the look of a PC if you intend to have the tower be on show like you would a games console, otherwise having it just under a desk in the dark only requires that it serves its purpose. Tongue

I feel like I should make a thread for people to post what their dream PC build would be in terms of visual stuff. Obviously everyone would pick the absolute best hardware but visually there's no limit really. Hmm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Monocle - Mar 25th, 2023

(Mar 19th, 2023, 04:55 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
I beat it this time, but it put up a fight! So, the power supply I bought didn't fit; it was too long, so it didn't fit in between the two sections of the release lever. I bought this power supply on Newegg with a guest account, which means I can't return it. So, at the recommendation of a friend of mine, I came up with a...janky solution. And by janky, I mean this:

[Image: 20230318_233601.jpg]

Yeah, that's my power supply just chilling on top of the case. If Ip0 on Fire were still here, he'd probably have an aneurysm. Despite that, however, it all works, and I didn't blow out the breakers for my room (a thought I had briefly on returning home to finally do this), so I'm calling this done. Fuck this computer, and may it burn in hell.

oh oh oh details! what parts? I want all the info! 

I have to upgrade my gpu soon. maybe at the end of the year. also want to upgrade my motherboard and psu if I'm getting a new gpu. I already have 32 gigs of ram and a 5900x so I'm not worried about those parts at all.

oh oh oh i gotta get a new aio soon too. 

fuck. my wallet literally cried

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 25th, 2023

Uh, the PSU is an RM750x by Corsair, and the GPU is a Geforce RTX 3060. I only bought the PSU because I didn't have the plug for my new GPU on my stock one, so I didn't have a choice in the matter. Lucky for me, the GPU just BARELY fits in my setup, so that was the easy upgrade.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Monocle - Mar 25th, 2023

that's awesome! 3060 is a great gpu! You can run everything easily except the most demanding and unoptimized games, like forspoken... because SQEX can't do anything right on pc

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 26th, 2023

Is it bad I've never heard the term PSU before and have no idea what half of this conversation was about while reading it? Tongue
Is it meant to stand for power supply unit or something?

Also everyone knows you use Crysis to test the true capabilities of a PC. Whistle
Unless it being a ridiculously demanding game that struggled to run on anything for such a long time it seems like it never would run isn't as true as I thought. Sweat

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Mar 26th, 2023

(Mar 26th, 2023, 01:39 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Is it bad I've never heard the term PSU before and have no idea what half of this conversation was about while reading it? Tongue
Is it meant to stand for power supply unit or something?
That is, in fact, exactly what it's meant to stand for, yes.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Mar 26th, 2023

(Mar 25th, 2023, 04:05 PM)Monocle Wrote:
that's awesome! 3060 is a great gpu! You can run everything easily except the most demanding and unoptimized games, like forspoken... because SQEX can't do anything right on pc

Lots of games as of late seem to be having issues with PC optimization. The variations of PCs makes it so hard to build for, I imagine. I've found that's why app developers like making for iOS first because there's only one system they need it to work for, whereas Android devices have a variety of hardware and software combos that complicate stability.

And yep, all PCs need a PSU and should have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), but those can be quite pricey.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Monocle - Mar 26th, 2023

(Mar 26th, 2023, 02:57 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Lots of games as of late seem to be having issues with PC optimization. The variations of PCs makes it so hard to build for, I imagine. I've found that's why app developers like making for iOS first because there's only one system they need it to work for, whereas Android devices have a variety of hardware and software combos that complicate stability.

And yep, all PCs need a PSU and should have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), but those can be quite pricey.

ehhh. it's not as hard as it sounds with gpus and cpus involved. a lot of it has become standardized and as long as developers can get the latest and even beta drivers for gpus, it's way easier than it used to be.

problem lately is that too many companies are expecting that consumers will report bugs and issues and they can then patch it later. instead of having a QA team to catch all these things, they're just using consumers as QA. hell, look at early access games. I love that indie devs can use it to improve their games since many of them are too small to afford a QA team. BUT I don't like it when major companies use it. Disney releasing Disney Dreamlight Valley as a beta, charging $30 for it, and it still having a host of issues and bugs, is the REAL problem with gaming nowadays. Disney can EASILY EASILY EASILY afford a QA team and actually afford to hold development to release a FINISHED game. Charging that much for a beta is criminal imo. 

another example is Forspoken. Game is a resource hog for gpus. The recommended gpu is a 3070 to play at 1440p30. 30 FPS WITH A 3070? WTF. know what the even bigger issue is? on release, any gpu with less than 10 gigs of vram couldn't actually load all the textures in the game so surfaces had horrible textures. guess how much vram the 3070 has? 8 gigs. THE RECOMMENDED CARD DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH VRAM TO LOAD ALL THE TEXTURES IN YOUR GAME. 

Any AAA studio that pulls this shit should be punished but they keep getting away with it. 

well. that's my rant. fuck AAA publishers for their scummy practices

excuse me for any typos. I'm on my phone lmao.  Cry

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nebulous - Mar 27th, 2023

Hey all, March is almost over! Bring on April. Should be a great month.
Hope you all had a great weekend. Smile

[Image: 200.gif]