Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 28th, 2023

Yeah I understand. Man speaking of that time of year it's coming up fast. Practically end of Summer now.

Oof a hurricane, yeah hope it doesn't start teetering towards your area.

Got the bank holiday off today so that meant 4 days off in a row. Although 6 days in a row when I go back in, whoo.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 29th, 2023

It probably won't since none of the track predictions even show it as a possibility. Hopefully no one else here who lives in Florida is in its path but I dunno where people like @Maniakkid25 and @Karo live roughly within the state to know if it's going near them.

I get Labor Day off next Monday (basically the US version of a Bank Holiday) since I don't work Mondays and class isn't in session. It'll be nice to get some extra rest since I'm still in rest debt from last week. Nooo

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Aug 29th, 2023

It'll be a bit rough for both parties, but nothing as devastating as the landfall site for sure. We're definitely in the clear, but I expect feeder bands and such will start being annoying come tomorrow into Wednesday. Hopefully you'll be home before that shit starts.

Huh, oh yeah, we also get off that Labor Day. I forgot, despite being hired on that day. Well, was supposed to start the Monday, obviously couldn't. Man I'm going on 8 years at this heckin' job.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 29th, 2023

Hoi, little late to say this, but it's looking like it'll mostly miss me (probably still gonna get tropical storm winds), but Karo is in line to get a good shellacking from Idalia. Hopefully, it downgrades to a Cat 1 by the time it gets to her.

(Aug 29th, 2023, 05:22 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
It'll be a bit rough for both parties, but nothing as devastating as the landfall site for sure. We're definitely in the clear, but I expect feeder bands and such will start being annoying come tomorrow into Wednesday. Hopefully you'll be home before that shit starts.
If not home then at least let the bad rain happen while I'm in class or in my car. So long as I'm not physically standing in it at all I don't care. Tongue
As for it being annoying, it definitely already is because the rain keeps knocking out the internet here. Hmph

(Aug 29th, 2023, 10:00 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
Hoi, little late to say this, but it's looking like it'll mostly miss me (probably still gonna get tropical storm winds), but Karo is in line to get a good shellacking from Idalia. Hopefully, it downgrades to a Cat 1 by the time it gets to her.
That's good to hear for you! Wasn't it last year when you had to evacuate or something and not doing so was the only reason your front door didn't get blown halfway into the house because your dad was home to brace the door? Hmm
As for @Karo, hopefully whatever she has to endure from it isn't anything that causes a problem for her.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 29th, 2023

Yes, it was. Ian really f***ed up my local area, and my house was no exception.

Did you guys get anything like a stronger door or whatever to future proof against the possibility of that happening again, especially if it were to happen at a time when you do evacuate? Or is it just the same old door that has a story to tell? Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 30th, 2023

We got shutters for that door, but the door is still there to tell its story. If we get another direct whack, we should be fine, but this one just glanced us.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 30th, 2023

Oh my, really hoping Karo will be OK and the hurricane dies down before getting there or it just skims her area. At least it seems it won't do too much to you, Maniak.

I got a bit forgetful, I'm only in for 4 days not 6, I have the Monday off again because I'm swapping with another who's birthday is on Sunday but the 6th day was non-existent to begin so don't know how I managed to add on an extra day of work. XD Our house will be getting newly decorated (walls, carpet) soon, well three rooms anyway to catch up with the rest of the house. My room being one of them but it will be the last out of the three as there's not enough room to store my stuff elsewhere in the meantime. Kitchen still needs a proper floor though.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 30th, 2023

Yeah, just got in contact with Karo, and her piwer got knocked out, but she's doing okay otherwise. Mostly wind, not a lot of rain.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Aug 31st, 2023

Honestly I'm really lucky it decided to turn really all we got was wind and a bit of rain no storm really. It did knock out power here for most of the day though. >n<

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Aug 31st, 2023

Glad you're doing all right, I was concerned for a bit when I noticed it was lining up to your area. Being as inland as you are, you'll never see the worst of a storm like that, but that doesn't mean you won't see some nasty events.

Despite being so far south, we also got a bit of the feeder bands come through. It's been gusty/breezy all day, and it went from impeccably sunny to suddenly "oh crap here it comes" with torrential sideways rain lol ROFL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 31st, 2023

Ah good all is OK for you guys. Just an annoying power outage for a while for Karo. Ooh rain going sideways, if you're out would you have to have your umbrella/cover in front or beside you instead of overhead? XD Or was it more diagonally down? (I'm imagining the latter)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 31st, 2023

Oh, you are underestimating the power of wind. Rain will absolutely go completely sideways in a hurricane, not just figuratively. It's pretty damn crazy. I remember during Hurricane Ian that, when we passed the eyewall and the wind shifted direction, the rain blasted our windows directly UNDER AN AWNING! It was absolutely insane.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Sep 1st, 2023

(Aug 31st, 2023, 12:59 AM)Karo Wrote:
Honestly I'm really lucky it decided to turn really all we got was wind and a bit of rain no storm really. It did knock out power here for most of the day though. >n<
Was it out long enough to affect any of your perishable food or did that all keep?

(Aug 31st, 2023, 10:49 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Ah good all is OK for you guys. Just an annoying power outage for a while for Karo. Ooh rain going sideways, if you're out would you have to have your umbrella/cover in front or beside you instead of overhead? XD Or was it more diagonally down? (I'm imagining the latter)
I suspect if the wind is strong enough to make it rain sideways that an umbrella wouldn't survive the wind, and if it did you wouldn't be able to protect your entire body from getting wet unless you intend to walk down the street with enough umbrellas to resemble a Roman phalanx formation. Tongue

Found out Shira's mother had a nasty fall earlier today and hit her head really badly. She had to get rushed to urgent care for a CT scan and stitches but apparently she's okay, just shaken up by it all. Shira's staying over with her tonight to keep an eye on her while I chose to stay at home.