Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 12:10 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 12:03 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 15th, 2018, 11:55 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
@EL - Yeah, I'm pretty happy that I was able to get the SO CD that I missed out on, and the wall scroll. Don't know why I bought the shirts, since they won't fit my fat ass, but I guess having a couple of Miku shirts might motivate me to lose weight and be able to wear them.

The only bad thing about the concert is that I couldn't take Miku home with me. ;_;

*cough* Miku Robot I called it *cough*
Whistle

(Jul 15th, 2018, 11:50 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 15th, 2018, 10:16 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 15th, 2018, 03:41 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Yeah, exactly the part that kills it for me, too. Comes out of nowhere and it is complete bullshit... if they had relied on artillery strikes, they would still be trying.

How about "call in the Navy" or Christ, the freaking Sea Harriers. Freaking anything but what they used on the last WEEK.

I am assuming "Call for artillery strike" refers to the navel bombardment(s) the British Navy used during the war. If they could have made it flow I would say "artistic license was needed" due to the flow (Also why some times songs have weird/bad English sentence structure). But since the song is a hot mess anyways...I don't know what to say.

Just a horrible song. They were probably trying to capture some market with it and failed spectacularly.

And to think stuff like "The Price of a Mile" and "Ghost Division" works so much better.

What market is that? "British still bitter over the Falklands war" demographic? Tongue

Hahha.

More like the "That was a thing that happened" market Tongue

A victory is a victory, I'm sure someone is willing to celebrate it.

But really, no-one likes that song. I'm very impressed in a twisted way. It's like Night Witches in quality (or lack thereof) but worst.

I...I...like Night Witches (not OMG ITS THE BEST like)...but thats because it still sounds like a Sabaton song, bombastic historical metal that keeps its energy and stuff.

You want "wait...that was a thing that happened?!" Market you have this:

I was a history buff as a kid, spent countless hours watching The History Channel (when it was really "The Hitler Channel" due to it being 99% WW2 stuff) and Never once was The Battle for Castle Itter ever talked about.... When I heard this song my brain had a "Wait...what the fuck?! *goes to Google* HOLY SHIT ITS REAL?! WHY WAS THIS NEVER TALKED ABOUT?! WHY THE HELL ISN'T THERE A MOVIE ABOUT THIS?!" moment.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 12:22 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
@EL - Yeah, I'm pretty happy that I was able to get the SO CD that I missed out on, and the wall scroll. Don't know why I bought the shirts, since they won't fit my fat ass, but I guess having a couple of Miku shirts might motivate me to lose weight and be able to wear them.

The only bad thing about the concert is that I couldn't take Miku home with me. ;_;

Whistle

(Jul 15th, 2018, 10:16 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
I am assuming "Call for artillery strike" refers to the navel bombardment(s) the British Navy used during the war. If they could have made it flow I would say "artistic license was needed" due to the flow (Also why some times songs have weird/bad English sentence structure). But since the song is a hot mess anyways...I don't know what to say.

Just a horrible song. They were probably trying to capture some market with it and failed spectacularly.

And to think stuff like "The Price of a Mile" and "Ghost Division" works so much better.

What market is that? "British still bitter over the Falklands war" demographic? Tongue

Hahha.

But really, no-one likes that song. I'm very impressed in a twisted way. It's like Night Witches in quality (or lack thereof) but worst.

I...I...like Night Witches (not OMG ITS THE BEST like)...but thats because it still sounds like a Sabaton song, bombastic historical metal that keeps its energy and stuff.

I was a history buff as a kid, spent countless hours watching The History Channel (when it was really "The Hitler Channel" due to it being 99% WW2 stuff) and Never once was The Battle for Castle Itter ever talked about.... When I heard this song my brain had a "Wait...what the fuck?! *goes to Google* HOLY SHIT ITS REAL?! WHY WAS THIS NEVER TALKED ABOUT?! WHY THE HELL ISN'T THERE A MOVIE ABOUT THIS?!" moment.

I'm glad you like it, I just don't. I don't know, I don't find it as engaging as many of their other songs... but that's just a matter of opinion.

And at any rate, I'd still listen to it if it came up (unlike the aforementioned BiC).

The Hitler Channel! MAN, that brings back some memories... I must have spent months glued to the TV during those years (especially around 2005, when they really cranked up the WW2 dial). I get the feeling you and i would have gotten along pretty well growing up Tongue

And totally, that's one flaw of the old THC... they had a lot of top-notch WW2 material, but it was repetitive to a fault. Like, yeah, D-Day was amazing (they even had an episode of Modern Marvels about it, which is just mind blowing) but things like the African campaign were so untouched, it was like they never happened.

I miss THC of old... it had history in it.

Now we have a collection of reality shows.

WTF.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 12:31 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Whistle

Hahha.

I'm glad you like it, I just don't. I don't know, I don't find it as engaging as many of their other songs... but that's just a matter of opinion.

And at any rate, I'd still listen to it if it came up (unlike the aforementioned BiC).

The Hitler Channel! MAN, that brings back some memories... I must have spent months glued to the TV during those years (especially around 2005, when they really cranked up the WW2 dial). I get the feeling you and i would have gotten along pretty well growing up Tongue

And totally, that's one flaw of the old THC... they had a lot of top-notch WW2 material, but it was repetitive to a fault. Like, yeah, D-Day was amazing (they even had an episode of Modern Marvels about it, which is just mind blowing) but things like the African campaign were so untouched, it was like they never happened.

WTF.

I actually also remember a time when THC was mostly talking about the First Gulf war, this was when it was recent history like pre 2000s, but Hitler was still featured a lot too.

There was this one guy I think a weapons expert who would show up in a lot of the shows, his head was shaped like a bullet did you ever see him/member him?

Actually now that I think about it... outside of D Day stuff (but even then, I don't recall anything talking about Rommel being in charge of the beach defenses or how Hitler screwed Rommel over on tanks for the defense of the beaches) THC didn't touch on Erwin "The Desert Fox" Rommel at all from what I remember.

Which is ashamed as he is such an interesting historical figure and in many ways acted as Hitler's counter point (competent unlike Hitler, didn't believe in/follow orders to commit war crimes, did what he could to distance his divisions from Hitler/command, etc)

By far my favorite History channel show as a kid was "The Wraith of God" which talked about different historical natural distastes. (I spent a ton of time as a kid on The Weather Channel too, when it was just weather stuff). It saddens me that there is so little information of the show and episodes of it online.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:07 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Whistle

Hahha.

WTF.

I actually also remember a time when THC was mostly talking about the First Gulf war, this was when it was recent history like pre 2000s, but Hitler was still featured a lot too.

There was this one guy I think a weapons expert who would show up in a lot of the shows, his head was shaped like a bullet did you ever see him/member him?

Actually now that I think about it... outside of D Day stuff (but even then, I don't recall anything talking about Rommel being in charge of the beach defenses or how Hitler screwed Rommel over on tanks for the defense of the beaches) THC didn't touch on Erwin "The Desert Fox" Rommel at all from what I remember.

Which is ashamed as he is such an interesting historical figure and in many ways acted as Hitler's counter point (competent unlike Hitler, didn't believe in/follow orders to commit war crimes, did what he could to distance his divisions from Hitler/command, etc)

By far my favorite History channel show as a kid was "The Wraith of God" which talked about different historical natural distastes. (I spent a ton of time as a kid on The Weather Channel too, when it was just weather stuff). It saddens me that there is so little information of the show and episodes of it online.

Oh yeah, I remember the Saddam Hussein THC-era a bit... I usually just changed the channel, though. Not my thing Tongue

Mmm... yes, I think I remember who you are talking about. Could it be one of these two fellas?

[Image: MOMx.png]

I do recall seeing exactly one documentary talking about the Atlantic Wall and centering it on Rommel, but they never went deep on his character (they didn't even say he was from the African campaign or that he was called The Desert Fox). If memory serves me right, the aforementioned documentary was produced around 2006, and was a one-off.

Such a shame, really... as Rommel was one of the most interesting parts of the conflict. Morally complex, with a good head over his shoulders, brilliant and ultimately done in by a system he believed less and less in; HOW can you not focus on such a figure? Ugh.

I don't recall seeing such a show before, but I do share your grief as that's the exact same situation of Deep Sea Detectives: barely any info online, largely forgotten to the sands of time... and top-notch.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:19 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Hahha.

WTF.

Oh yeah, I remember the Saddam Hussein THC-era a bit... I usually just changed the channel, though. Not my thing Tongue

Mmm... yes, I think I remember who you are talking about. Could it be one of these two fellas?

I do recall seeing exactly one documentary talking about the Atlantic Wall and centering it on Rommel, but they never went deep on his character (they didn't even say he was from the African campaign or that he was called The Desert Fox). If memory serves me right, the aforementioned documentary was produced around 2006, and was a one-off.

Such a shame, really... as Rommel was one of the most interesting parts of the conflict. Morally complex, with a good head over his shoulders, brilliant and ultimately done in by a system he believed less and less in; HOW can you not focus on such a figure? Ugh.

I don't recall seeing such a show before, but I do share your grief as that's the exact same situation of Deep Sea Detectives: barely any info online, largely forgotten to the sands of time... and top-notch.

R.Lee "Gunny" Ermey was the shit, Mail call is a classic. May he rest in peace.
The second guy was a bit after my time and outside of knowing the name of the show I have no idea who he is.

Thanks to an archive of 4chan (in a /vp/ thread of all places..) I actually found the guy I was talking about:
[Image: DpiupvO.jpg]

I never thought I would find something useful from 4chan damn....Also pictures of him from this decade make it seem he finally filled his head out.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:31 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

WTF.

The second guy was a bit after my time and outside of knowing the name of the show I have no idea who he is.

Thanks to an archive of 4chan (in a /vp/ thread of all places..) I actually found the guy I was talking about:

I never thought I would find something useful from 4chan damn....Also pictures of him from this decade make it seem he finally filled his head out.

Mail Call was easily the best show of its time among those featured on THC. Guy was totally comitted to his role and, dare I say, did a better job at explaining military terms than most of the big-budget documentaries he went against (hell, I learned about MREs and Panzerfauts from him).

Wow! What's up with that guy's head? I thought you were joking, but that does look like a bullet!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - ShiraNoMai - Jul 16th, 2018

Only thing I can think of when I think of History Channel these days is that it's loaded with Ancient Aliens (which my mom adores for some reason) and other conspiracy-theory like shows. Not a channel I'd actively put on these days LOL

Glad you had a great time, DL! Been telling my coworkers about the experience since they were interested in the idea of a holographic concert, but didn't realize Miku wasn't.... well, you know ROFL

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 16th, 2018

@Shira - Yeah, it was unbelievable. Grin Definitely want to do it again, but don't want to fly again. Would be great if they'd bring Miku to Minneapolis one of these years.

Did you want to share why your flight experience was so terrible with the rest of the class? Whistle

(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:40 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:31 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

WTF.

Mail Call was easily the best show of its time among those featured on THC. Guy was totally comitted to his role and, dare I say, did a better job at explaining military terms than most of the big-budget documentaries he went against (hell, I learned about MREs and Panzerfauts from him).

Wow! What's up with that guy's head? I thought you were joking, but that does look like a bullet!

If you are interested in MREs check out Steve1989MREInfo's channel its nice

@Shira I hate how that is what the History channel is now, stupid aliens.

Do you actually find yourself watching more YouTube now than TV because of shit like that? I've heard a lot of people telling me they're cancelling any cable sub for either a streaming service or just YouTube.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:25 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Do you actually find yourself watching more YouTube now than TV because of shit like that? I've heard a lot of people telling me they're cancelling any cable sub for either a streaming service or just YouTube.

I have watched so much youtube that youtube keeps on deleting my watch history on videos I know I have watched.
Also Netflix and Hulu.

My parents cut cable right before I was diangosed with cancer and before they bought a hulu subscription (And the person who gave me access to netflix didn't give me their stuff either)

I was bored to tears my first week of chemo, I was too weak/in pain to move anywhere but the livingroom's couch so I couldn't even watch youtube.

The only thing I miss is The Weather Channel because there is no real alternative to it, even Weather Nation is shit compaired to TWC in its glory days (and well WeatherNation never followed/tracked storms like TWC did).

Does your local news not offer good weather coverage? They usually have streams of it on their respective websites. I usually catch live reporting if there's a bad storm I want to watch that's currently over me.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 02:58 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Did you want to share why your flight experience was so terrible with the rest of the class? Whistle

Just didn't like it. It wasn't fun in the slightest and the feeling of flying was terribleĀ  I would rather walk across the country than fly across it.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:50 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Does your local news not offer good weather coverage? They usually have streams of it on their respective websites. I usually catch live reporting if there's a bad storm I want to watch that's currently over me.

No they do not, also I want to watch storms across the nation, TWC at lease use to (not sure about now) have feet on the ground for hurricanes and expected areas for tornadoes.