Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:08 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 02:58 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Did you want to share why your flight experience was so terrible with the rest of the class? Whistle

Just didn't like it. It wasn't fun in the slightest and the feeling of flying was terrible  I would rather walk across the country than fly across it.
I found flights to be very boring when by myself. I find them more tolerable when I'm with someone but flying is still tedious to some degree no matter what I think.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:14 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 01:40 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
Mail Call was easily the best show of its time among those featured on THC. Guy was totally comitted to his role and, dare I say, did a better job at explaining military terms than most of the big-budget documentaries he went against (hell, I learned about MREs and Panzerfauts from him).

Wow! What's up with that guy's head? I thought you were joking, but that does look like a bullet!

If you are interested in MREs check out Steve1989MREInfo's channel its nice

@Shira I hate how that is what the History channel is now, stupid aliens.

I love that channel, man.

His feature on German WW2 emergency rations (particularly the chocolate) remains one of my favorite YT videos... although I have to wonder why cigarettes and chocolate are considered "emergency" rations.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:44 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:08 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Just didn't like it. It wasn't fun in the slightest and the feeling of flying was terrible  I would rather walk across the country than fly across it.
I found flights to be very boring when by myself. I find them more tolerable when I'm with someone but flying is still tedious to some degree no matter what I think.

It was the feeling of flying I didn't like. The constant swaying was not a feeling I enjoyed. Paired up with how noisey it was, I just did not enjoy that experience. I'd much rather drive.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 05:09 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:14 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
If you are interested in MREs check out Steve1989MREInfo's channel its nice

@Shira I hate how that is what the History channel is now, stupid aliens.

His feature on German WW2 emergency rations (particularly the chocolate) remains one of my favorite YT videos... although I have to wonder why cigarettes and chocolate are considered "emergency" rations.

Chocolate - it is calorie dense (i.e. energy), it tastes good is most people like it (i.e. boosts moral in a shitty situation), also it naturally has some caffeine in it (i.e. raises alertness), the type/brand of chocolate used in these rations is called Scho-Ka-Kola (which you can order off ebay/amazon as new, since its still being made), also has kola nut in it along with other additional caffeine.

Cigarettes - Most every one smoked in the 40s, so it served to help stop form your troops going though withdraws and as a moral booster (along with the calming effect smoking has on people). Also if the person didn't smoke he could use the cigarettes to either barter with his fellow troops or a civilian to get more food/supplies/etc.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 02:36 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 05:09 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Chocolate - it is calorie dense (i.e. energy), it tastes good is most people like it (i.e. boosts moral in a shitty situation),   also it naturally has some caffeine in it (i.e. raises alertness), the type/brand of chocolate used in these rations is called Scho-Ka-Kola (which you can order off ebay/amazon as new, since its still being made), also has kola nut in it along with other additional caffeine.

Cigarettes - Most every one smoked in the 40s, so it served to help stop form your troops going though withdraws and as a moral booster (along with the calming effect smoking has on people). Also if the person didn't smoke he could use the cigarettes to either barter with his fellow troops or a civilian to get more food/supplies/etc.

Damn, I didn't even think of that.

Your posts prove fantastically useful as always, man.

Although, I think I heard someone mentioning that those particular chocolates were only avaiable to the elite Panzer troops and, since looting was punishable with death in the German army, getting one as a regular soldier may make you get in deep shit.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:56 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 02:36 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Chocolate - it is calorie dense (i.e. energy), it tastes good is most people like it (i.e. boosts moral in a shitty situation),   also it naturally has some caffeine in it (i.e. raises alertness), the type/brand of chocolate used in these rations is called Scho-Ka-Kola (which you can order off ebay/amazon as new, since its still being made), also has kola nut in it along with other additional caffeine.

Although, I think I heard someone mentioning that those particular chocolates were only avaiable to the elite Panzer troops and, since looting was punishable with death in the German army, getting one as a regular soldier may make you get in deep shit.
Thanks I try my best Tongue

My admittedly shoddy and quick research shows that the chocolate was issued to Luftwaffe (both as regular red cans and the blue emergency survival cans), U-boat crews, Panzerkorps, the Army (heer), and in an autobiography of a guy who uses a pen name, it was issued to Waffen SS who were fighting the Russians in Finland when things get bad for the Germans, and also from the same source claims that this chocolate was issued to American POWs captured during the Battle of the Bulge.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:13 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 03:56 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

My admittedly shoddy and quick research shows that the chocolate was issued to Luftwaffe (both as regular red cans and the blue emergency survival cans), U-boat crews, Panzerkorps, the Army (heer), and in an autobiography of a guy who uses a pen name, it was issued to Waffen SS who were fighting the Russians in Finland when things get bad for the Germans, and also from the same source claims that this chocolate was issued to American POWs captured during the Battle of the Bulged.

Very interesting indeed.

Not surprised about the U-Boat crews. Say what you will about the Germans, but they usually were very good at making up to their own guys (gonna be trapped in a sinking coffin for months? Have food civilians can only dream about!).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 16th, 2018

(Jul 16th, 2018, 05:20 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:44 AM)Moonface Wrote:

It was the feeling of flying I didn't like. The constant swaying was not a feeling I enjoyed. Paired up with how noisey it was, I just did not enjoy that experience. I'd much rather drive.
Ah. Turbulence never really bothered me and surprisingly I've never had to endure a really noisy flight. The majority of the time my flights have always been peaceful and the only noise was normal speaking tone once in a while during it.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:20 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:13 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

My admittedly shoddy and quick research shows that the chocolate was issued to Luftwaffe (both as regular red cans and the blue emergency survival cans), U-boat crews, Panzerkorps, the Army (heer), and in an autobiography of a guy who uses a pen name, it was issued to Waffen SS who were fighting the Russians in Finland when things get bad for the Germans, and also from the same source claims that this chocolate was issued to American POWs captured during the Battle of the Bulge.

Very interesting indeed.

Not surprised about the U-Boat crews. Say what you will about the Germans, but they usually were very good at making up to their own guys (gonna be trapped in a sinking coffin for months? Have food civilians can only dream about!).

Funny enough in Ally occupied Germany (I am assuming the western Allies, as well the Russians didn't care much for any Germans), this same chocolate was distributed to civilians.

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:25 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:20 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Very interesting indeed.

Funny enough in Ally occupied Germany (I am assuming the western Allies, as well the Russians didn't care much for any Germans), this same chocolate was distributed to civilians.

Woah!

That's one way to discourage any uprisings, I suppose Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Monocle - Jul 16th, 2018

Cry He is on his way now! he has left me and my heart is broken. I weep. Cry

(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:30 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:25 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Woah!

Or fuel late night uprisings Tongue

@Monocle You did refuse to turn your dwelling in to a Miku shrine sooo... Tongue

(Jul 16th, 2018, 06:30 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 04:30 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Woah!

@Monocle You did refuse to turn your dwelling in to a Miku shrine sooo... Tongue

Wonder if that's why everyone parties really hard in Germany Tongue

(Jul 16th, 2018, 06:34 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 06:30 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

A German neither parties too little, nor too hard, but the precised correct amount. Whistle

Damn German efficiently

(Jul 16th, 2018, 07:19 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 16th, 2018, 06:34 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

A German neither parties too little, nor too hard, but the precised correct amount. Whistle

Damn German efficiently

There's no better amount than til you drop!