Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 18th, 2018

(Jul 18th, 2018, 07:22 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
(Jul 18th, 2018, 05:59 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
I do not welcome anyone to my family. If there was a choice.

Ah, work this week. Monday was crap, even though I was there for 5 hours, everything still goes to shit. Mondays are usually like that, but this one was far worse for my department and store. Wasting time wasting that day's date (loose) bananas just because someone was in who might pick up on it, yet all the bananas were actually fine. My section leader did that, and she was very annoyed. Had fun an hour by myself because of that as other colleagues were on break or gone home. Produce stock goes down quick. (I wanted to make a funny analogy, but nope) For whatever reason the Frozen backup went down, so every section leader in that day (bar mine) was wasting everything. Today, made lots of negative counts on stock, since some had way too high inventory for some reason. Also bizarrely there was five of my colleagues in at 6AM.

Anyway, yeah. Good you made it back fine, DL. Yeah, you gotta try and do another trip some time, perhaps not by air though. XD

Doing a road trip would actually be a lot of fun. Though I'd have to find a way to Monocle's that avoids driving in NYC, because fuuuuuuuuck that.
I suggest train Whistle
When I went from NOLA -> Chicago -> Port Huron? (some place in Michigan is all I know), train was good especially if you get a sleeper room for long trips.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Jul 18th, 2018

Train is far too expensive. I looked into it before buying my tickets for my flights. $200 one-way to take a train from Minnesota to New York. Not happening. Same price as a plane, three times the travel time. Nope.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 18th, 2018

(Jul 18th, 2018, 10:46 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Train is far too expensive. I looked into it before buying my tickets for my flights. $200 one-way to take a train from Minnesota to New York. Not happening. Same price as a plane, three times the travel time. Nope.

Damn, then again the train ride was a special moment for me (which skews my "this is good/this sucks" rating system) it was the first and only time I saw a rotating wall cloud IRL. Whistle </weather nerd>

I just wish I had a smart phone wtih data at the time, as I really wanted to see the radar too.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 18th, 2018

Man, I adore this place.

In a landscape of online communities that would much rather die than bending their ancient, 2003-era rules a little, having a place such as this one that it is ok with letting you swear (as long as you aren't an asshole about it) and carry conversations that are engaging and meaningful (even if they do technically fall on offtopic territory) is such a blessing.

Seriously, I have to wonder why so many sites would just stick to their old rules when they are clearly costing them members by the truckload.

Whatever it is UG is doing, please keep doing it.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 19th, 2018

(Jul 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Man, I adore this place.

In a landscape of online communities that would much rather die than bending their ancient, 2003-era rules a little, having a place such as this one that it is ok with letting you swear (as long as you aren't an asshole about it) and carry conversations that are engaging and meaningful (even if they do technically fall on offtopic territory) is such a blessing.

Seriously, I have to wonder why so many sites would just stick to their old rules when they are clearly costing them members by the truckload.

Then you have the communities where you need to support "Muh narrative" (e.g. (pre meltdown)NeoGaft/resetera) facts be damned.

There are two types of communities I prefer
Either all politics banned left/right/center/etc
or all politics are allowed be it left/right/center/etc

Some times the strict rules are also used to weed out those who want to co-opt the site and get a certain type of people with a certain type of "political philosophy"

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 19th, 2018

(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Man, I adore this place.

Then you have the communities where you need to support "Muh narrative" (e.g. (pre meltdown)NeoGaft/resetera) facts be damned.

Some times the strict rules are also used to weed out those who want to co-opt the site and get a certain type of people with a certain type of "political philosophy"

I like it when communities let people be people.

Like, you and I have discussed a bunch of things here that just wouldn't fly in some of the most forever-03 forums... and that's how it should be. I don't like it when places try to force their norms on you; Even if it is, indeed, their place.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:13 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Like, you and I have discussed a bunch of things here that just wouldn't fly in some of the most forever-03 forums... and that's how it should be. I don't like it when places try to force their norms on you; Even if it is, indeed, their place.

I was never a "all posts must be 100% on topic" in most places there was one place on the support board for Invisionfree/Zetaboards I was though we had a forum at one point meant for debate, now because of how emotional people can get over shit, I did my best to keep things as tight as possible there, but had issues with some other staff not following rules there <_<

(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:22 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:13 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

I was never a "all posts must be 100% on topic" in most places there was one place on the support board for Invisionfree/Zetaboards I was though we had a forum at one point meant for debate, now because of how emotional people can get over shit, I did my best to keep things as tight as possible there, but had issues with some other staff not following rules there <_<

I always thought that the "all posts must be 100% on topic" thing was utter bullshit. Your forum's life is dependant on whether or not people post on it... to do anything to discourage conversation is basically an attempted murder.

And yeah, people get way too over-emotional over disagreements. I have (and still do) modded a lot of forums that started allowing political conversation in a rather uncivil manner and, let me tell ya, it wasn't pretty.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:33 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:22 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I always thought that the "all posts must be 100% on topic" thing was utter bullshit. Your forum's life is dependant on whether or not people post on it... to do anything to discourage conversation is basically an attempted murder.

And yeah, people get way too over-emotional over disagreements. I have (and still do) modded a lot of forums that started allowing political conversation in a rather uncivil manner and, let me tell ya, it wasn't pretty.

There is a time and a place for strict moderation,
Debate forums/topics
Support forums
professional forums (espically in IT when a big event happens like say a huge cryptoware outbreak it is important to get infomration quickly and easily and not go though 100s of pages of people saying "FUCK" and "DAMN IT" and "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit..." etc)

Now I mean in those forums, the off topic/general discussion area(s) should be less moderated.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:46 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:33 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Debate forums/topics
Support forums
professional forums (espically in IT when a big event happens like say a huge cryptoware outbreak it is important to get infomration quickly and easily and not go though 100s of pages of people saying "FUCK" and "DAMN IT" and "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit..." etc)

Now I mean in those forums, the off topic/general discussion area(s) should be less moderated.

Frankly, I try to get in the way of debates as little as possible. If people want to keep one-upping each other on the field of who can be the most unbearable asshole, I think that's their right.

I have only banned one guy because of debating, and he was downright trollish.

And don't you dare starting an Airplane! quoting war, mister Tongue

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:00 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 12:46 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Debate forums/topics
Support forums

Frankly, I try to get in the way of debates as little as possible. If people want to keep one-upping each other on the field of who can be the most unbearable asshole, I think that's their right.

The debate forum was on a forum meant for tech support as a side project/hobby we needed to be able to keep people civil to prevent it from infecting other areas.

I am talking about individual forums sections that may not be the main focus on the forum (as a whole) or to keep the focus area on topic (e.g. a support forum for a product to keep support quick and because users are idiots),

Also I have had to spend 12+ hours non stop once moderating a forum durning a major server outage to keep everything contained (i.e. remove 1000s of 1000s of "WTF SERVER IS DOWN" topic so that infomration can easily be found on what is going on.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:06 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:00 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

The debate forum was on a forum meant for tech support as a side project/hobby we needed to be able to keep people civil to prevent it from infecting other areas.

I am talking about individual forums sections that may not be the main focus on the forum (as a whole) or to keep the focus area on topic (e.g. a support forum for a product to keep support quick and because users are idiots),

Also I have had to spend 12+ hours non stop once moderating a forum durning a major server outage to keep everything contained (i.e. remove 1000s of 1000s of "WTF SERVER IS DOWN" topic so that infomration can easily be found on what is going on.

I'm not sure if I would personally go with that myself, given the nature of those debate areas and the huge amounts of time they demand to keep civil. Buf if it worked for y'all, who am I to protest?

Idiots pay both of our bills, dude Grin

Ugh! You deserve a medal for that one. Did you have to also PM repeating offenders?

PS: I have been modifying this damn avatar for an hour now and I think it drove me nuts.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:19 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:06 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

I'm not sure if I would personally go with that myself, given the nature of those debate areas and the huge amounts of time they demand to keep civil. Buf if it worked for y'all, who am I to protest?

Ugh! You deserve a medal for that one. Did you have to also PM repeating offenders?

PS: I have been modifying this damn avatar for an hour now and I think it drove me nuts.

There was no time to PM (either in Personal Messages or in Percussive Maintenance) just had to do mass mod actions at one time, and three more pages of topics and 10+ pages of posts were made by that time.

Also holy crap I always though a good part of what makes Star Wars Awesome was John William's sound tracks I think this proves it:

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:29 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:19 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

There was no time to PM (either in Personal Messages or in Percussive Maintenance) just had to do mass mod actions at one time, and three more pages of topics and 10+ pages of posts were made by that time.

Also holy crap I always though a good part of what makes Star Wars Awesome was John William's sound tracks I think this proves it:

If there was time for Percussive Maintenance, you wouldn't be a free man right now Grin

John Williams can bring ANYTHING to life.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:34 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:29 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

If there was time for Percussive Maintenance, you wouldn't be a free man right now Grin

John Williams can bring ANYTHING to life.

Yeah like the only good thing that came out of TLJ was the music...