Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 19th, 2018

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:39 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:34 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
If there was time for Percussive Maintenance, you wouldn't be a free man right now Grin

John Williams can bring ANYTHING to life.

Yeah like the only good thing that came out of TLJ was the music...

*Has never watched a single Star Wars movie*.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 19th, 2018

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:42 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:39 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Yeah like the only good thing that came out of TLJ was the music...

Watch them now, At lease the IV V VI and I II III, at lease I-III has world building and some stuff that could have been epic if people could tell Lucas "No it needs to be reworked"

VII is decent but not great, VIII is a lost cause, i fear for IX

(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:54 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:42 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Watch them now, At lease the IV V VI and I II III, at lease I-III has world building and some stuff that could have been epic if people could tell Lucas "No it needs to be reworked"

The thing is that I was always very interested on SW as a franchise, but I always find myself being ultimately overwhelmed by the daunting task of catching up with it.

For what's worth, I remember the hype for The Phantom Menace and was kind of into it at the time (although, I never got to watch it).

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:00 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 01:54 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

The thing is that I was always very interested on SW as a franchise, but I always find myself being ultimately overwhelmed by the daunting task of catching up with it.

For what's worth, I remember the hype for The Phantom Menace and was kind of into it at the time (although, I never got to watch it).
TPM is a disapointment but it gave us Maul, The Duel of Fates, and Ewan Mcgregor as Obi.

But sersiously go watch them NOW.

You don't need to worry about the old EU or the new EU, hell not even the Star Wars Stories.

My only suggestion would be to watch the Non CGI "The Clone Wars" shorts because it fills you in on some stuff between II and III

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:00 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

TPM is a disapointment but it gave us Maul, The Duel of Fates, and Ewan Mcgregor as Obi.

You don't need to worry about the old EU or the new EU, hell not even the Star Wars Stories.

My only suggestion would be to watch the Non CGI "The Clone Wars" shorts  because it fills you in on some stuff between II and III

Must... obey... person... I... met... on... the... internet Tongue

If those were on Cartoon Network at one point or another, then there's a high chance I watched them already.

Should I go in order, then?

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:09 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:05 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

My only suggestion would be to watch the Non CGI "The Clone Wars" shorts  because it fills you in on some stuff between II and III

If those were on Cartoon Network at one point or another, then there's a high chance I watched them already.

Yes they were on Cartoon Network, but so were the CGI ones (Until Netflix took it over).

There are a few schools of thought on this:
"Machete Order" IV V II III VI (episode 1 is excluded) This order preserves the twists of the OT and PT (even if some have become part of popular culture) and removes all issues Episode I started but leaves some plot holes that were explained in Episode I to the unknown if one isn't fimilar with Episode I
Machete Order has a unofficial proposed revision (as it was created in 2011) that is Rouge One is added to the start then IV

Release Order IV V VI I II III as people saw it, peserves most of the twists of the OT and PT
Number Order I II III IV V VI Yeah most twists in the OT are ruined

Time Machine Order
IV* V* IV I II III Rouge 1 IV V VI

* indicates either the original Pre 97 released VHS tapes or the 2006 theatrical cuts limited editions DVDs that restored the pre SE editons.

Then there is the issue of what revision of IV V IV to watch personally I would say either the Pre SE or the SE edition, the 2004 DVD edit pissed me off at the end of RotJ, but I can't say why as its a spoiler)

But honestly any version will do, its just Star Wars is such a cultural significance to so many people Lucas had the arrogance to keep on editing it

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:37 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:09 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Yes they were on Cartoon Network, but so were the CGI ones (Until Netflix took it over).

"Machete Order" IV V II III VI (episode 1 is excluded) This order preserves the twists of the OT and PT (even if some have become part of popular culture) and removes all issues Episode I started but leaves some plot holes that were explained in Episode I to the unknown if one isn't fimilar with Episode I
Machete Order has a unofficial proposed revision (as it was created in 2011) that is Rouge One is added to the start then IV

Release Order IV V VI I II III as people saw it, peserves most of the twists of the OT and PT

Time Machine Order

* indicates either the original Pre 97 released VHS tapes or the 2006 theatrical cuts limited editions DVDs that restored the pre SE editons.

Then there is the issue of what revision of IV V IV to watch   personally I would say either the Pre SE or the SE edition, the 2004 DVD edit pissed me off at the end of RotJ, but I can't say why as its a spoiler)

But honestly any version will do, its just Star Wars is such a cultural significance to so many people Lucas had the arrogance to keep on editing it

Don't think I don't appreciate it (because I really, really do) but this looks like such a mammoth task.

I'll look into it, though.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:46 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:37 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Time Machine Order

Then there is the issue of what revision of IV V IV to watch   personally I would say either the Pre SE or the SE edition, the 2004 DVD edit pissed me off at the end of RotJ, but I can't say why as its a spoiler)

Don't think I don't appreciate it (because I really, really do) but this looks like such a mammoth task.

Honestly Im a fan of release order (and well Rouge One need not be included)

Also you expect Star Wars fans to do anything simple? These are people who came up with backstories and names for EVERY SINGLE BACK GROUND CHARACTER AND DROID...

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Jul 19th, 2018

People, or rather fans, came up with backstories to background characters? How I am not surprised. *sigh*

I was all for the original trilogy, but only as I was a kid. Not sure how I would go about watching Star Wars if I never got into it back then. Prequel was good, then turned OK when I got older. Both turned OK actually. Release order is probably the best order anyway. Tsu, don't worry about having to get into everything Star Wars. Way too much stuff out there. XD Films are more than enough, unless you find more time or interest.
For the record, I enjoyed Rogue One and also The Force Awakens, although the former much more. Yet to see The Last Jedi (except the odd clip) or Solo. Not desperate, or feel the need to.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jul 19th, 2018

(Jul 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Man, I adore this place.

In a landscape of online communities that would much rather die than bending their ancient, 2003-era rules a little, having a place such as this one that it is ok with letting you swear (as long as you aren't an asshole about it) and carry conversations that are engaging and meaningful (even if they do technically fall on offtopic territory) is such a blessing.

Seriously, I have to wonder why so many sites would just stick to their old rules when they are clearly costing them members by the truckload.

Whatever it is UG is doing, please keep doing it.
Even if we were against swearing, we'd only put a filter in place to censor the words anyway. But yeah, so long as people aren't being dicks and aren't derailing threads all the time and try to keep them or get them back on track, there's not much reason for us to come down on anyone. XD

(Jul 19th, 2018, 06:41 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
People, or rather fans, came up with backstories to background characters? How I am not surprised. *sigh*

I was all for the original trilogy, but only as I was a kid. Not sure how I would go about watching Star Wars if I never got into it back then. Prequel was good, then turned OK when I got older. Both turned OK actually. Release order is probably the best order anyway. Tsu, don't worry about having to get into everything Star Wars. Way too much stuff out there. XD Films are more than enough, unless you find more time or interest.
For the record, I enjoyed Rogue One and also The Force Awakens, although the former much more. Yet to see The Last Jedi (except the odd clip) or Solo. Not desperate, or feel the need to.

Rouge One was okay but I have some issues with it:
1)CGI Moff Tarkin is just uncanny valley hell
2) No more Kyle Katan Sad

I enjoyed TFA but now it has been ruined for me due to it leading to TLJ, and TLJ being a shit star wars movie and leaving so many plot holes form TLJ open.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:49 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:46 AM)Nightingale Wrote:

Also you expect Star Wars fans to do anything simple? These are people who came up with backstories and names for EVERY SINGLE BACK GROUND CHARACTER AND DROID...

Well, they were definitely lazy when it came to addressing one of the coolest ships ever devised: the TIE Bomber.

Seriously, it got reduced to a very sucky thing with little-to-no-functionality that most people would just shrug off (even the Wiki is rather bare-bones about it). I can't even tell you how many times I have flown the idiot on TIE Fighter and how much of a blast I had with it.

That said, I also spammed it on Battlegrounds and it turned out to be a really weak thing that would take ages to destroy anything and that was pretty much a sitting duck for the X-Wings.

(Jul 19th, 2018, 06:41 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Tsu, don't worry about having to get into everything Star Wars. Way too much stuff out there. XD Films are more than enough, unless you find more time or interest.

Yeah, I think I will just stick with the films up to Rogue One, then Smile

(Jul 19th, 2018, 07:12 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Jul 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Man, I adore this place.

In a landscape of online communities that would much rather die than bending their ancient, 2003-era rules a little, having a place such as this one that it is ok with letting you swear (as long as you aren't an asshole about it) and carry conversations that are engaging and meaningful (even if they do technically fall on offtopic territory) is such a blessing.

Seriously, I have to wonder why so many sites would just stick to their old rules when they are clearly costing them members by the truckload.

Whatever it is UG is doing, please keep doing it.
Even if we were against swearing, we'd only put a filter in place to censor the words anyway. But yeah, so long as people aren't being dicks and aren't derailing threads all the time and try to keep them or get them back on track, there's not much reason for us to come down on anyone. XD

Living in the US has made you realize how much of a cornerstone of society swearing is, huh? Grin

But seriously, if all sites had that same approach to rule-enforcing, forums wouldn't be dying.

Also, guys... I think I'm a wizard. I managed to turn perfectly good leftover chicken into a disgusting mess using only a microwave.

I have no clue how it happened... I cooked six chicken breasts with the same settings and with the same microwave and only one of them came out dry and hard as a rock.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 20th, 2018

(Jul 19th, 2018, 11:49 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 02:49 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Well, they were definitely lazy when it came to addressing one of the coolest ships ever devised: the TIE Bomber.

Seriously, it got reduced to a very sucky thing with little-to-no-functionality that most people would just shrug off (even the Wiki is rather bare-bones about it). I can't even tell you how many times I have flown the idiot on TIE Fighter and how much of a blast I had with it.

That said, I also spammed it on Battlegrounds and it turned out to be a really weak thing that would take ages to destroy anything and that was pretty much a sitting duck for the X-Wings.

That was actually by design, The Emperor had a massive military, resources, and a huge population to pull from. the TIE series (with exception of the X1 [Vader's TIE], TIE Advance [was only seen in the EU], TIE Phantom [Rebel Assault 2?/EU] and later Post ROTJ EU TIES, not sure about TFA/TLJ) were made on the philsophy of "Fast to make, cheap to make, easily replaceable" so TIEs were not fitted with shields like the X Wing or Y Wing, nor did they have a hyper drive [other then Vader's X1] Every storm trooper, every TIE Pilot, was a disposable tool in the empire's war chest.

The Empire's strategy was basically "Shock and awe" vast numbers of TIEs coming at you, again they had the resources and man power to view TIEs as disposable (there is a quote somewhere that goes something like "For every TIE you destroy there are 20 TIEs waiting to fill its place") compare that to the Alliance to Restore the Republic that did not have the vast resources as their foe, each ship was valuable even if outdated (like the Y Wing), and each pilot was a resource that could not go to wast.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 20th, 2018

(Jul 20th, 2018, 12:13 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 19th, 2018, 11:49 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

That was actually by design, The Emperor had a massive military, resources, and a huge population to pull from. the TIE series (with exception of the X1 [Vader's TIE], TIE Advance [was only seen in the EU], TIE Phantom [Rebel Assault 2?/EU] and later Post ROTJ EU TIES, not sure about TFA/TLJ)  were made on the philsophy of "Fast to make, cheap to make, easily replaceable" so TIEs were not fitted with shields like the X Wing or Y Wing, nor did they have a hyper drive [other then Vader's X1] Every storm trooper, every TIE Pilot, was a disposable tool in the empire's war chest.

The Empire's strategy was basically "Shock and awe" vast numbers of TIEs coming at you, again they had the resources and man power to view TIEs as disposable (there is a quote somewhere that goes something like "For every TIE you destroy there are 20 TIEs waiting to fill its place") compare that to the Alliance to Restore the Republic that did not have the vast resources as their foe, each ship was valuable even if outdated (like the Y Wing), and each pilot was a resource that could not go to wast.

Kinda like Russia, then.

I remember reading that the TB were actually instrumental on not only getting victories for the Empire, but also defending positions. So they have that going for them.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 20th, 2018

Found a job posting that I fit the qualifications for but then I saw "type: 1099-contractor Pay: 35000 / year"

That is massive bullshit a 1099 means 1) I get to pay a ton for insurance (Because no employer provided/employer pays part) and 2) get to a bunch more in taxes every quarter (vs once a year as a normal W2 employee), no benefits what so ever, and even less job security!

What the hell, a 1099 should be easily near if not at 6 figures just because of all of the above, 35k /year is barely a living wage here if it is at all.

(Jul 20th, 2018, 12:18 AM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 20th, 2018, 12:13 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
That was actually by design, The Emperor had a massive military, resources, and a huge population to pull from. the TIE series (with exception of the X1 [Vader's TIE], TIE Advance [was only seen in the EU], TIE Phantom [Rebel Assault 2?/EU] and later Post ROTJ EU TIES, not sure about TFA/TLJ)  were made on the philsophy of "Fast to make, cheap to make, easily replaceable" so TIEs were not fitted with shields like the X Wing or Y Wing, nor did they have a hyper drive [other then Vader's X1] Every storm trooper, every TIE Pilot, was a disposable tool in the empire's war chest.

Kinda like Russia, then.

I remember reading that the TB were actually instrumental on not only getting victories for the Empire, but also defending positions. So they have that going for them.

In a way although Russia's furlong hope charges often were a time of desperation (that I know of at lease...) and not "just to fuck with the rebels/show them a lesson" that Palatine was fond of.