Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 21st, 2018

(Jul 21st, 2018, 03:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I'm sure I've seen people on their support forum asking to move to TT voluntarily on a service that TT haven't got their hands on.

At Publix orientation right now. Been fun so far, I'm enjoying the public speaking segments a lot. Tongue

........why.....?!

Also my orientation for when I was working a grocery chain was just stupid "Oh watch this propaganda video" "we compete with Trader's Joes and Whole Foods"

Uh no you do not....Trader's Joe and Whole Foods are upscale, Kroger is a step above WalMart and in the case of Joes at lease offers Exotic then what you get at a normal store

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 21st, 2018

I find it hilarious that those people feel like disregarding hundreds of pages full of nothing but complaining about TT XD

But speaking of forums... I have been stepping down as a mod/admin in a lot of those, because my nephews are now in school age and I just had to stop and ask myself: "Dude, what are you doing? Quit wasting your time trying to solve petty issues!" For most of those places, it was a rather painful experience because I had a ton of fun and good memories attached to them, but there's one that just had to be done and there was little in the way of it: the Official Redwall Forums.

I love the subject matter, all of my fellow staffers and some members... but by God the community as a whole sucks.

It was a collection of people trying to push their RL rights into a forum (what?) and trying to find ways around the censor put in place to prevent turning a forum visited by children into swearland for adults. And since we were, indeed, carrying a brand name with us (Redwall - which is even connected to the official site/store) we couldn't exactly ban ban-worthy people over ban-worthy issues.

Nightmarish, and a lot of the people I liked the most felt like leaving following the increasing bratty-ness.

(Jul 21st, 2018, 03:53 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
It was a collection of people trying to push their RL rights into a forum (what?) and trying to find ways around the censor put in place to prevent turning a forum visited by children into swearland for adults. And since we were, indeed, carrying a brand name with us (Redwall - which is even connected to the official site/store) we couldn't exactly ban ban-worthy people over ban-worthy issues.
Assuming server is based in the US:
It's a tricky issue on one hand "Private place is allowed to set its own rules" but as digital and real start to combine more and more its getting harder, such as Youtube and (how the fuck) twitter have became (and set them self up for) public discussion and now they like to censor anything thing that is not fitting with their political opinions.

This can cause a huge issue as in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) which ruled that private spaces that are regularly opened to the public may be subjected to not break up peaceful gathering of people, interfere with their peaceful protest/speech, blah blah blah

It is way more complex that I am making here (e.g. part of the case also is about how the California State Constitution and the US Constitution interact), but since most tech companies are subjected to the laws of California by being Head Quartered there or otherwise having a physical present there, online spaces like google, youtube, twitter, and Reddit may in fact be violating this case law.

(Jul 21st, 2018, 04:29 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 21st, 2018, 03:53 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
It's a tricky issue on one hand "Private place is allowed to set its own rules" but as digital and real start to combine more and more its getting harder, such as Youtube and (how the fuck) twitter have became (and set them self up for) public discussion and now they like to censor anything thing that is not fitting with their political opinions.

This can cause a huge issue as in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) which ruled that private spaces that are regularly opened to the public may be subjected to not break up peaceful gathering of people, interfere with their peaceful protest/speech,  blah blah blah

It is way more complex that I am making here (e.g. part of the case also is about how the California State Constitution and the US Constitution interact), but since most tech companies are subjected to the laws of California by being Head Quartered there or otherwise having a physical present there, online spaces like google, youtube, twitter, and Reddit may in fact be violating this case law.

I think our servers are in the UK, actually (although, I have no actual clue about it... I'm just assuming, considering the business address of the company is in there as well).

That's really interesting, dude.

And to think that when I first got into forums at age fourteen, I thought being a mod/admin was awesome. I have come to appreciate the advantages of being a regular user a lot more since.

(Jul 21st, 2018, 04:37 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
(Jul 21st, 2018, 04:29 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

This can cause a huge issue as in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) which ruled that private spaces that are regularly opened to the public may be subjected to not break up peaceful gathering of people, interfere with their peaceful protest/speech,  blah blah blah

I think our servers are in the UK, actually (although, I have no actual clue about it... I'm just assuming, considering the business address of the company is in there as well).

That's really interesting, dude.

And to think that when I first got into forums at age fourteen, I thought being a mod/admin was awesome. I have come to appreciate the advantages of being a regular user a lot more since.

Kind of like Cults:

Can't watch videos on my phone. Gonna assume it's hilarious.

(Jul 21st, 2018, 06:23 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

"I’ve been involved in a number of cults both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower but you make more money as a leader."

(Jul 21st, 2018, 06:34 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
(Jul 21st, 2018, 06:23 PM)Nightingale Wrote:

"I’ve been involved in a number of cults both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower but you make more money as a leader."
Quote of the Year!

There's baseball on! WOOOOO!

https://i.imgur.com/0SDJeWc.gifv

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Nightingale - Jul 22nd, 2018

Ha! I was actually watching a Cardinals game xD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 22nd, 2018

Oh wow that work out better then planned :p

(Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:57 AM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Oh wow that work out better then planned :p

You are the man xD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Jul 22nd, 2018

Soo some recent master degree dumbass thinks Detroit needs a new flag and he just so happened to design what it should be!
This was his master's thesis by the way...
Only issue the point of a flag? It is suppose to be unique to identify the owner of land/ship/etc.... so make makes something that is more fitting for a phone app icon.

[Image: 9CJmyuM.jpg]

Oh did I mention Merchandising? He also made how it showed on merchandising! The Kids will surely Love it!

Oh did I also mention that THE DESIGN IS DIRECTLY RIPPED FROM THE 2015/16 NEW ZEALAND FLAG REDESIGN VOTE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_referendums,_2015%E2%80%9316

1) Look at the motifs most of them are the same wavy white middle with a blue and black on either side....
2)[Image: AA4BM4s.jpg]
Yeah he didn't totally just rip that flag and make some minor edits...
3)

If I had the email address to Western Michigan University Graphic Design department or any sort of academic fraud department I'd be pointing this shit out to them, because Im pretty sure plagiarism took place.

Also I feel like I should note that there is some irony in him doing the design the way he did since New Zealand's flag is often confused for the Australian flag a ton and he choose one of the most generic of the bunch to rip off as a flag.... again which needs to stand out from EVERY OTHER FLAG.

That sounds like a really lousy idea.

Man, I adore American sports journalism:

[Image: tmp_Screenshot_2018-07-22-00-35-56-483920108.png]

xD

Ok, I'll bite... I actually think Detroit has one of the coolest-looking flags across the US and Canada. I frankly see no need to re-design it (let alone in such an unfashionable way... like, the thing is SUPER busy, but it also looks amazingly good).

I have to wonder why anyone in their right mind would pick one over the other.

And PM, you should totally report that junk.

Also, I would like to point out that all the praise I gave comes from the perspective of someone who is... less than enamored of Detroit (sports rivalries and whatnot). So, it should tell you how good it really is.