Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 16th, 2018

No but my sleep schedule was. I was meant to have a bank appointment at 9am today. Despite having an alarm set, I slept through it and didn't wake up until 12pm. No way am I staying past the end of my shifts any more for longer than 10 minutes when they end at 10pm or later. I'm not screwing up my free time to that degree again.

In other news, saw Arethra Franklin died of pancreatic cancer today. I'm not surprised she died because without knowing what she had, reports of her condition already sounded like a death sentence. How many notable celebrities have died this year so far? Hmm

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 16th, 2018

(Aug 16th, 2018, 06:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:
No but my sleep schedule was. I was meant to have a bank appointment at 9am today. Despite having an alarm set, I slept through it and didn't wake up until 12pm. No way am I staying past the end of my shifts any more for longer than 10 minutes when they end at 10pm or later. I'm not screwing up my free time to that degree again.

In other news, saw Arethra Franklin died of pancreatic cancer today. I'm not surprised she died because without knowing what she had, reports of her condition already sounded like a death sentence. How many notable celebrities have died this year so far? Hmm

Going off wiki standards for just this month 246, I took way too long messing around in word to get auto count to work <_<.
Assuming this is average for half a month, there should be ~ 4000 (using the numbers I have 3936) give or take, for the year so far.

I got an interview for next week, I am not looking forword to it I hope I fail. Its for a company in the medical field (and I swore that off), and phone support (augh), and travel?! (WTF they made no mention of that in their job posting...same with phone support they made it seem as if it was interoffice IT support not client IT support).

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 16th, 2018

Why not just contact them saying you found something else so you don't do the interview? It's not like you have to go if what they advertised isn't what they're actually offering.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 16th, 2018

Yeah, don't ever do that after your allotted shift time, Moony. Yeesh, 1:30am. XD What made you stay that long? Would be fine if like you finished at 4PM or something, then the extra three and a half hours. Although over 3 hours unless I was covering for someone for overtime, I wouldn't do. Get some good rest on your next day off.

246 celebrities have died this month? What the?! OK, most of those probably got some minor reports of it, but that's a lot. Heck, I can't name one this year since I've forgotten all that I've read about, and that's probably like 10 including Arethra. Haven't been looking at news much this year anyway. Just didn't think there was that many, let alone only for this month so far.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 16th, 2018

(Aug 16th, 2018, 06:48 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Why not just contact them saying you found something else so you don't do the interview? It's not like you have to go if what they advertised isn't what they're actually offering.

Interview practice and going to force me to get my references in order.

@MrE
The wiki list includes people who are either local/regional and/or niche celebrities.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 17th, 2018

*sigh*
Having one of those days where I just have a total creative block despite having everything I need to actually produce something. It's starting to do my head in because I really need to get done what I'm working on. >.<

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 17th, 2018

I hate those, though for me its writers block and often related to writing papers and such. >_<

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 19th, 2018

Well, found my new laptop, and my mom's new laptop. She was watching HSN, and their deal of the day is a HP 15.6" Touch AMD 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD Laptop + a printer + Microsoft office for $579.95. Retail value of the bundle is $949.79.

So, I decided to quickly apply for the HSN Credit Card (so that I could see if I could use the special 12-month plan that it gives you), and I got approved with a high enough credit limit to buy two of them.

Come August 31st, I can finally say goodbye to this slow, 5-year old piece of crap.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 19th, 2018

(Aug 19th, 2018, 02:57 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Well, found my new laptop, and my mom's new laptop. She was watching HSN, and their deal of the day is a HP 15.6" Touch AMD 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD Laptop + a printer + Microsoft office for $579.95. Retail value of the bundle is $949.79.

So, I decided to quickly apply for the HSN Credit Card (so that I could see if I could use the special 12-month plan that it gives you), and I got approved with a high enough credit limit to buy two of them.

Come August 31st, I can finally say goodbye to this slow, 5-year old piece of crap.
>>>>>>IMPORTANT SHIT HERE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
In my research I came across these two things from HP:
Advisory on the laptop:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06103509

A CRITICAL security vulnerability on the printer:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06097712

>>>>Back to regular rant<<<<

In sum/TLDR: HSN is bullshit, the laptop you got is decent for the price you got it at for web browsing and general usage. Apply the HP security fixes to your printers.
(I spent an hour or two doing research Whistle)

Please tell me you got a desktop like you were talking about getting before, and that you were not planning on using this laptop for more then broswing the web/youtube and word processing/excel etc.

This is not a rant on you, but on HSN and their ilk. They (in my experence when I come across them with electronics, which is rare as I never really went that low in my channel listings when I had cable) were often dishonest in the capabilities of the hardware they peddle.

Also fuck HP and their unwillingness to provide support documation online including hardware support/motherboard information. Dell allows you to see the spec sheets, I can't even tell you if this laptop can have its ram upgraded.

The HP printer (I will not say if its good or not, all printers are evil Whistle), is 70 dollars retail as per HP, and right now HP has an offer of it being only 20 dollars with the purchase of a computer from them.

MS Office is a 70 dollars/year 365 subscription so after a year its another 70 dollars (or 7 dollars a month) you need to put in.

That leads you with a laptop cost of 440

If we go with HSN bullshit "Retail price" which again MS Office 365 personal is 70/year and the printer is 70/year that makes the laptop a claimed: 810 dollars, there is no way in hell this laptop is worth 810. Here is some comparisons for the bullshit they claim all are HP laptops:

For 450 I found this (10 dollars more then their "sale" price)
same specs only with a 2TB HDD (But again 5200 RPM)
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscreen-Notebook-A9-9420-Processor/dp/B07C9L68LJ/ref=pd_sbs_147_46?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C9L68LJ&pd_rd_r=FTMZYNR0NE05H9CN2SDP&pd_rd_w=mkWcY&pd_rd_wg=ll3BI&psc=1&refRID=FTMZYNR0NE05H9CN2SDP

For 800 (10 dollars cheaper then their "retail" price) I found this:
8 gigs of RAM (non upgradeable?! amazon page claims it, HP support has no info) + 16 gigs of Intel Optane memory)
Nvida 1060Ti (4 gigs of DEDICATED vRAM)
Full HD display (1920x1080)
1 TB Hard drive (5400RPM)
Intel i5 8300H 2.3 Ghz w/ 4Ghz boost (4 cores, 8 total threads)

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15-inch-Processor-15-cx0020nr/dp/B07CGLQFRK/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1534650923&sr=1-10&keywords=HP+laptop&refinements=p_36%3A2421889011

Now here are some things of concern:
the CPU is just a duel core, no extra threads. (+ AMD is known for weak single core support, but great multi core, so you are in a way getting shot in both feet here)
The HDD is 5200 rpm (slow, the current "standard" is 7200)

Now I suspect this laptop wasn't made for the first world market, judging by the fact research lead me to an HP laptop with the same specs sans the CPU, it was replaced with an Intel i3 7100U (low energy duel core with 2 hyper threads), with exception of Amazon (front page seller has it listed for 442 or 380ish with a 60 dollar amazon credit card rebate) results I got for it when I looked it up was Argentina for HP's support site and then some African nations on other websites. Princes I found for this laptop was between 380 to 400 dollars.

I showed the laptop specs to an AMD fanboy I know, and even he said he would go for the intel build, but if it will be used for gaming at lease AMD is known for their decent APUs.

None ranty bit: For fun try installing Linux on your old laptop and see how much of a performance difference it makes Whistle

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 19th, 2018

I haven't gotten a desktop yet. I decided to pass on that desktop on Prime Day and instead bought a 28'' monitor that was on sale. I'm going to wait to build a PC at a later date, when I have more of a reason to want one.

As for the laptop, as usual, it'll be used for web browsing, stream watching and very light gaming. The printer I don't care about, because I won't use it. My mother might use one of the printers that we'll get, but I'll probably just sell the other one or something. Everyone seems to hate on HP, but I've had many HP computers the last 15 years and never had any problems with any of them, so... I can't really say that I care what reviews say about HP products. A lot of people say Lenovo is a good brand, but I had constant problems with the Lenovo laptop I had. I'd have this current HP laptop for... at least 5 years, and I haven't had a single problem with it other than it's getting old and slowing down a bit. HP products have always come through for me, so I'm going to give this laptop a chance.

If it turns out to be bad, oh well. You win some, you lose some. But if it turns out like all of the other HP computers I've had, I can be happy with it.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 19th, 2018

(Aug 19th, 2018, 05:24 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
I haven't gotten a desktop yet. I decided to pass on that desktop on Prime Day and instead bought a 28'' monitor that was on sale. I'm going to wait to build a PC at a later date, when I have more of a reason to want one.

As for the laptop, as usual, it'll be used for web browsing, stream watching and very light gaming. The printer I don't care about, because I won't use it. My mother might use one of the printers that we'll get, but I'll probably just sell the other one or something. Everyone seems to hate on HP, but I've had many HP computers the last 15 years and never had any problems with any of them, so... I can't really say that I care what reviews say about HP products. A lot of people say Lenovo is a good brand, but I had constant problems with the Lenovo laptop I had. I'd have this current HP laptop for... at least 5 years, and I haven't had a single problem with it other than it's getting old and slowing down a bit. HP products have always come through for me, so I'm going to give this laptop a chance.

If it turns out to be bad, oh well. You win some, you lose some. But if it turns out like all of the other HP computers I've had, I can be happy with it.

Personally I don't like HP, they don't make support easy (e.g. what I was ranting about above about the hardware docs), their laptops in the past was infested with keyloggers in audio and touch pad drivers, their support sites are notoriously horrible (just go to a IT professional form and see how many people you trigger with "HP support website"), and servers require you to have an ongoing support contract with them, to download drivers...which is just wrong, fucks over the secondary market along with people who want to build a homelab for practicing/starting in IT.

Only reason why some people say lenovo is good is because they bought out the rights to the IBM Thinkpad name, which used to be really good laptops, but they have had horrible security issues too from RATs being installed to things that breaks HTTPS security and allows man-in-the-middle attacks. (and well all Chinese company are (party)owned by the Chinese government doesn't instill trust either).

As I said before my beef is with how bad HSN is in actually informing consumers what their product is and them using high pressure techniques to discourage research on what they sell.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 20th, 2018

Starting my first day of classes today. Can confirm, am shitting self right now. D=

Got measured for a suit at the weekend which was an interesting experience. I get the feeling the dude isn't going to order everything correctly though. Whistle

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 21st, 2018

Specifically how and why are you shitting yourself, Moony? OwO *shot*
Hope it's nothing too much. XD But if you are feeling like that, then hmm. Seems bad. I shouldn't judge it just yet though.

Hoo boy, can't wait to try on baggy trousers, clown shoes and squeeze into a shirt that chokes the life out of me. Grin *shot again*

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 21st, 2018

I hate anything past "khakis/black/brown pants and polo" augh, and I am sure the Tie was an invention of a scorned woman.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 22nd, 2018

And another one bites the dust Stefán Karl Stefánsson (Aka Robbie Rotten) has died from his cancer.
smitty werbenjagermanjensen may claim to be number one, but we all know Robbie Rotten was truly number one.
Fuck Caner.

F