Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 23rd, 2018

Well, now it seems to be running a little smoother. I don't know if maybe it just needed some time for things to settle down (I know Windows 10 upgrades a lot of programs in the background, so maybe it was just slowing down so much because of all that), or what, but it seems to at least be going at a decent speed now.

I tried watching something on YouTube and it played the video smoothly, didn't slow down the computer at all and there wasn't any lag. Maybe I'll give the laptop a day or two to prove itself before deciding to return it. I do have 30 days to do so, so no harm in giving it a couple of days to see if maybe it stays up to speed.

I just checked the task manager, and Chrome is no longer eating CPU (down to 0-2% like on the other laptop), so whatever was going on there is no longer being an issue. The program for the touchpad is taking up CPU usage though, so that's a bit annoying. Might have to disable the touchpad.

Well, actually, on second thought, I am just going to return it. Even though it's sped up drastically, it's still slower than my 5-6 year old laptop (which is really sad). I'll just return them and look else where. I just hope I can find another laptop that I like (design wise) as much as this one.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 24th, 2018

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

If you want help Im basically always around.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 24th, 2018

Eh, happens. Like I said before, you win some and you lose some. That is the risk of buying a laptop online. You don't have the chance of testing it out and seeing how it is before you buy it.

I'll probably look around for a different one at a later time. For now, my attention has shifted to trying to pick up this beauty. There are only 50,000 units of it worldwide, and it goes on sale for North American tomorrow. Unfortunately they never gave a time for when it'll go on sale, so no idea if it's going to be like midnight eastern or pacific, or noon, or 8 PM tomorrow night. Fighting the scalpers to try to get one will be hard enough, having to fight the issue of an unknown time just makes it even more difficult.

Would love to get it though. Been thinking of "upgrading" to a PS4 Pro since I got my new TV, and the fact that this one has 2 TB built is wonderful, especially when I pair it up with my 2 TB external.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 26th, 2018

And we lose another person, Sen. John McCain after just a day of the announcement that he stopped treatment for his cancer, has past away.
Vietnam war vet and POW, His grandfather and father were 4 star admirals (the Navy equivalent to a 4 star general), he was offered to be released back to the US but choose to stay with the other POWs. McCain wasn't a hard line republican he would often call out his party for things they did, or positions they (the hard line republicans) held.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 26th, 2018

Jesus, that was...that was fast. I might have disagreed with him, but I would never deny the man didn't love his country and his people. You can finally rest, good sir...

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 26th, 2018

There is a theory that he discontinued treatment about a week or so before the announcement so he could just have some peace with out the media bugging him and his family, given the type of cancer he had apparently they normally don't stop treatment until its near the end with about that much time (or a bit longer/shorter). But that is just a theory.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 28th, 2018

I was surprised how fast he passed away after the announcement of discontinuing therapy. If he truly stopped at the time he announced it, that's shocking.

Meanwhile, Florida continues to have gun problems and makes me roll my eyes at this country. Is it really that hard to put a reliable system in place to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them? Rolleyes

Also Maniak, where's Yuri lately? Haven't heard from them in a while.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 28th, 2018

(Aug 28th, 2018, 02:38 PM)Moonface Wrote:
I was surprised how fast he passed away after the announcement of discontinuing therapy. If he truly stopped at the time he announced it, that's shocking.

Meanwhile, Florida continues to have gun problems and makes me roll my eyes at this country. Is it really that hard to put a reliable system in place to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them? Rolleyes

You should know the issue isn't guns, coming from the land of knife crime is on the rise, van attacks, and acid attacks.

Shooter was from Baltimore, city with some of the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the country, dude already violated numerous state and federal laws by doing what he did before the attack (e.g. transport a gun across state lines what I will assume illegally, concealed carry in a state which he didn't have a license, etc). What a shocker criminals don't follow the laws.

If anything "getting upset enough to shoot people over qualifying rounds" speaks more to how mental health services are shit in the country.
If we look at Switzerland they have more laxed gun laws then some US states so could it be social-economic
Could it be from media that glories real crime from old school gansta rap and its history of glorifying crime and murders or even more likely the media machine used to say "how horrible it is" and "guns are evil" are the very ones who propagate this by allowing the bastards a pestle infamy and notability, from Columbine to, Couch Cuck (the moron who couldn't get past a couch), to now Bitch Boy (fuck giving these people the honor of using their actual names).

"But Aaron they don't"... the fucking boston bomber and Charles Mason were put on the cover of Rolling Stones, along with after such tragedies the media almost always focuses on the attacker(s) who they were, what they did before the attack, etc. As if these people are worth the time.

The only way to combat this is to instead focus on the victims, and ridicule the hell out of the attackers if you even talk about them, don't even give people their name (unless prudent to public safety, i.e. suspect is not in custody or dead)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 28th, 2018

They're fine; Yuri's mainly been torturing me with crazy antic like Owlbear Romance. I just think they have the same problem I do: nothing worth posting about.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 28th, 2018

Ah, good ol' delivery day. My new PS4 Pro arrived (and it's gorgeous), along with my copies of Bullet Girls Phantasia. Well, I should say copy, because when I opened up the Limited Edition, it lacked the PS4 copy of the game inside, so I need to get in touch with Play Asia's customer support and figure out what's going on there.

Hopefully they just send me a copy of the game without any trouble. Everything else was in the LE except the copy of the game, so they just need to send me one and everything will be fine. This is the first time I ordered through them though, so I don't know if their customer support is good or if they'll try to come up with reasons to avoid sending me a copy. Guess I'll find out.

(Aug 28th, 2018, 06:37 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Ah, good ol' delivery day. My new PS4 Pro arrived (and it's gorgeous), along with my copies of Bullet Girls Phantasia. Well, I should say copy, because when I opened up the Limited Edition, it lacked the PS4 copy of the game inside, so I need to get in touch with Play Asia's customer support and figure out what's going on there.

No download code? The first time that happened to me with a PC game I was less then happy, darn it I wanted the DVD <_<.

I woudln't be surprised if/when consoles pull the same bullshit. Then again it seems next gen they are trying to push for streaming only.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Aug 28th, 2018

Nope, no code. It comes with a physical copy of the game. Just seems like I was unfortunate and got one where whoever put it together forgot to put the copy of the game in the box. Like I said, I just hope they say that they'll send me a copy of the game, rather than trying to say I need to prove that the game wasn't in there, and fight me by saying I'm trying to lie for a second copy of the game.

I sent them an email about it, so I just need to wait for a reply to see what the situation is going to end up being like.

Hopefully you get it with out issue.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Aug 29th, 2018

(Aug 28th, 2018, 03:04 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

You should know the issue isn't guns, coming from the land of knife crime is on the rise, van attacks, and acid attacks.

Shooter was from Baltimore, city with some of the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the country, dude already violated numerous state and federal laws by doing what he did before the attack (e.g. transport a gun across state lines what I will assume illegally, concealed carry in a state which he didn't have a license, etc). What a shocker criminals don't follow the laws.

If anything "getting upset enough to shoot people over qualifying rounds" speaks more to how mental health services are shit in the country.
If we look at Switzerland they have more laxed gun laws then some US states so could it be social-economic
Could it be from media that glories real crime from old school gansta rap and its history of glorifying crime and murders or even more likely the media machine used to say "how horrible it is" and "guns are evil" are the very ones who propagate this by allowing the bastards a pestle infamy and notability, from Columbine to, Couch Cuck (the moron who couldn't get past a couch), to now Bitch Boy (fuck giving these people the honor of using their actual names). 
Never said the issue was guns. I said the issue is letting the wrong people get them. Also, a gun and a knife are utterly different. I can't murder a mass group of school children with a knife, a bottle of acid, or a van inside their classrooms and hallways. I'd rather face someone holding a knife than someone holding a gun. At least I can run from the knife, or block the knife with a chair or other object. Good luck outrunning bullets or putting a desk or chair between you and the attacker and remaining safe.

Criminals don't follow laws. I really dislike this argument. Just because someone will do something, doesn't mean you need to make it easy for them or find better ways at preventing people with mental health issues from reaching a stage where they think shooting someone over a video-game is acceptable. The country elects a man who wants to build a wall to deter illegal immigration, but won't attempt to deter or prevent people from taking innocent lives. You didn't just throw your arms in the air and say "Well people will hijack a plane anyway so why bother making it harder right?" after 9/11, yet more people have collectively died from shootings than 9/11 and the response is always to just say "Well they'll do it anyway, so why bother making it harder for the wrong people to get a gun?"

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Aug 29th, 2018

(Aug 29th, 2018, 01:08 AM)Moonface Wrote:
(Aug 28th, 2018, 03:04 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:

Never said the issue was guns. I said the issue is letting the wrong people get them. Also, a gun and a knife are utterly different. I can't murder a mass group of school children with a knife, a bottle of acid, or a van inside their classrooms and hallways. I'd rather face someone holding a knife than someone holding a gun. At least I can run from the knife, or block the knife with a chair or other object. Good luck outrunning bullets or putting a desk or chair between you and the attacker and remaining safe.

Criminals don't follow laws. I really dislike this argument. Just because someone will do something, doesn't mean you need to make it easy for them or find better ways at preventing people with mental health issues from reaching a stage where they think shooting someone over a video-game is acceptable. The country elects a man who wants to build a wall to deter illegal immigration, but won't attempt to deter or prevent people from taking innocent lives. You didn't just throw your arms in the air and say "Well people will hijack a plane anyway so why bother making it harder right?" after 9/11, yet more people have collectively died from shootings than 9/11 and the response is always to just say "Well they'll do it anyway, so why bother making it harder for the wrong people to get a gun?"

By "making it easier" you remove guns (and other weapons) from the popular, you rarely hear about a mass shooting in a gun range or other places were guns or weapons of equal force are easily available.

The plane security the US put in place since 9/11 has been widely criticized as being ineffective and "security theater" as you get TSA agents who don't think "the District of Columbia (AKA the National Capital)" isn't a part of the US, or allowing for bombs/guns/etc get though often when security being reviewed by security groups.

There have been mass attacks with vans, across the world, and well China has had many "mass knife" attacks in school that results in many injured/killed then one would expect from a knife
Organized group kills 33 injures 130 via knifes

The fact is, the issue is not black and white (e.g. guns, mental health, etc), the news media loves to paint things in black and white, but things have way more shades of gray, but that makes for piss poor viewership and thus no money form advertisers.

In fact psychologists are pointing the finger at the News media for the issue:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/crucial-conversations/201204/the-media-is-accomplice-in-school-shootings
http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/08/media-contagion.aspx