Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Aug 29th, 2018

That's terrible news that. How'd they get in with a gun, not even being a competitor that day and so willing to shoot people over losing? *sigh*

Sorry I've been away for a week now. Didn't intend to do that, was meant to be for four days, but ended up not coming online last Thursday or Friday for no reason, uh well, suppose I was feeling down. Want to get into a time machine and punch myself for that. Last few days though were good, although the weather wasn't. Saturday evening went over to my friend's place for Sunday-Tuesday. Sunday was rain, Monday went out for a walk. Bought four pieces of equipment for exercise use. Don't know how much I'm going to use them, but hope I do. My body needs to get used to them, since I felt stiff after the first uses. XD
Yesterday went out to a swimming pool to learn how to swim again. Only an hour, but can float on my back and kind of swim on my back. I stopped going to swimming classes back in Year 4, or when I was 9, and hadn't been in a pool since some time in Secondary School (but didn't and couldn't swim). So yeah, gotta learn the ropes again. Really wish I didn't stop. Since swimming is meant to be the best form of exercise.

Today at work was fun. Barely any stock again, an almost no loose bananas, which is the first time since I've been on Produce. Had three more trays left when I finished my shift, and bananas disappear within seconds of putting new ones on the shelf when busy. Also forgot, or rather misplaced my clocking in card, so need to make sure I get my 7 hours pay. I knew where it was once I got back home though. Freaking put on a bookcase. Silly.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Sep 1st, 2018

So I've found another candidate for new Laptop, but I'm a little wary of it because it is another AMD processor and after the last one I tried, I don't know about it.

It's pretty similar in build. 15.6'' touchscreen, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. It has an AMD Ryzen 3 2200U though. I've looked up some information on it, and people seem to think positively on it. The laptop is on sale for $379 ($619.02 is Office Max's normal price on it), so I'm interested in it, though I'd like to avoid having to return another set of laptops.

I don't know a whole lot about AMD in general (I usually like to stick with Intel), so I'm just now sure on if the Ryzen 3 is any good. I know that it's kind of the budget one, which I don't mind as long as it's actually decent for what it is. I don't want to buy another laptop, only for it to be slower than a 5-year old one.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 1st, 2018

(Sep 1st, 2018, 09:49 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
So I've found another candidate for new Laptop, but I'm a little wary of it because it is another AMD processor and after the last one I tried, I don't know about it.

It's pretty similar in build. 15.6'' touchscreen, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. It has an AMD Ryzen 3 2200U though. I've looked up some information on it, and people seem to think positively on it. The laptop is on sale for $379 ($619.02 is Office Max's normal price on it), so I'm interested in it, though I'd like to avoid having to return another set of laptops.

I don't know a whole lot about AMD in general (I usually like to stick with Intel), so I'm just now sure on if the Ryzen 3 is any good. I know that it's kind of the budget one, which I don't mind as long as it's actually decent for what it is. I don't want to buy another laptop, only for it to be slower than a 5-year old one.

I will check with my AMD friend when he is up (yay 12 hour time zone difference!) but I can tell you this much.

Ryzen is suppose to be AMD's claim back to being relevant again, they offered no true competition to Intel since the Duel Core era (They tried to do a tri-core thing which was...just sad).

Looking in to it the 2200U is a two core four thread CPU (Better then the previous laptop)

It is also a current gen (its on its 2nd generation) Ryzen.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Sep 1st, 2018

All I need it to do is be able to let me forum and watch Twitch/YouTube and not take 20-30 seconds to open a program or a new tab in Chrome, and not take 5+ seconds to load a page.

If it can do that, I can be happy with it.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 1st, 2018

I mean, since I am unfamiliar with how AMD rates/markets their CPUs I just want to double check, but prima facie I want to say you should be good. with exception of the 5400 RPM HDD.

But I just want to confirm it before I say "that looks good"

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Sep 2nd, 2018

I might just have to take the word of the reviews and get a couple. I don't know how long they'll last before selling out, and I don't want to miss out on them if they are decent laptops.

I could go to the store tomorrow and see if they have any in-store that I can tinker with before purchasing, but that also runs the risk of them selling out before I get there.

I'll have to think about what I want to do while I'm at work.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 2nd, 2018

My friend said it should be good. Our concern is the 5400 RMP Hard Drive, which is slow. But if it is an issue (in theory) its a simple fix either get a 2.5in SSD and install it your self or get some one else to.

(Just would need to reinstall windows and stuff)

As long as it loads shit fast, I'm good. It's just for casual stuff, so shouldn't be a problem. Guess I'll order it when I get home.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 2nd, 2018

Alright you should be good if you do have any issues, I suspect it would be the HDD slowing things down. Wink

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Sep 2nd, 2018

Glad you found another laptop, DL. Also hope it doesn't turn out to be one that doesn't meet what you want from it.

Really haven't done much recently, since Tuesday anyway. Boring same old work and boring same old at home. I have no willpower to do anything while I've been living in this same old house, and I got at least 7 more years of it. *sigh* At least I got up today at 8AM, which is a time I want to get up on a day off from work, instead 9:30 or 10. Then again it's after 2PM now and haven't done much. Well, got a good amount of reading done, shaved before breakfast (don't usually do that), and having lunch. Yes, lunch. Is significant for what I'm having. Don't cook myself bacon and started to do so, and I know it's easy, so why did it take me so long to bother buying bacon for myself? Ah, whatever. All I can say is if I ever deny bacon for any reason on any occasion, even if I'm full, slap me good.

So I played around with the one on display they had at the store, and it seems to run pretty well. Things were opening up right away and loading was good. Unfortunately they only had one of them in stock (and not because they sold out -- we were the first customers there). So I'll have to order the second one online instead.

I did see a "gaming laptop" they had on sale for $699.99. It was an Intel i7 processor. I considered getting it, but I just wasn't too sure on the specs, and a gaming laptop seems like waste to me anyways. I played around with the display one they had and thing took several seconds to open, so that turned me off as well. But then with display models you don't know if it's just because they are wearing down or what.

I believeĀ this was the laptop. I thought about going for it, but I just don't know enough about the specs to know whether or not it's a decent buy. Obviously I know a laptop isn't going to be a gaming powerhouse, but I considered it for a minute because it might run some of my games a little better than I can run them now. But I wasn't about to drop $700 on a laptop that I didn't know anything about.

So I've been using this laptop for a couple of hours so far and I don't have any complaints about the performance. Everything is loading and opening fast. Haven't tried playing any games on it yet, but everything has been good so far. The only thing that kind of annoys me is that some of the keys squeak a little bit when you press them, but that's easily ignored.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 3rd, 2018

Eh I think you made the right choice.
The only real benefits I see on that computer is
4 core/8 thread CPU
Full HD screen
This one is iffy GTX 1050 (2 gigs of VRAM)

for about the same price (for the "gaming" laptop on amazon:
Current gen i5 (4 cores/4 threads)4
1050 Ti (4 gigs of VRAM)
8 gigs of RAM
Full HD Screen
256GB SSD (sure not as much space as a 1TB HDD, but SSDs are fast)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Maniakkid25 - Sep 3rd, 2018

So, completely unrelated event: my buddy just popped a GMing cherry by killing one of his PCs. Here's the interesting part, though: both the player of that character and the GM were planning on retiring that character anyway because the player didn't like playing the character. But the kill was completely unintentional; RNGesus just commanded it, and it was so.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Sep 3rd, 2018

(Sep 3rd, 2018, 05:02 AM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
So, completely unrelated event: my buddy just popped a GMing cherry by killing one of his PCs. Here's the interesting part, though: both the player of that character and the GM were planning on retiring that character anyway because the player didn't like playing the character. But the kill was completely unintentional; RNGesus just commanded it, and it was so.

Praise be to RNGesus!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Sep 3rd, 2018

Convenient RNG? Nice. XD

Got my ESTA approved, but here we go, printer problems. First had to change the yellow cartridge, as there was a warning exclamation mark for it, but really why can't it wait until the yellow level was right at the bottom for goodness sake. I was printing B&W! Then no black ink was coming out, yet it printed a sort of test page with the ink in the top left corner of a page where it worked. Tried again, but nothing. Tried colour, nothing. The black level was just below half full. Changed that, as I was getting annoyed. Printer takes ages to print out the page. When it does there's huge gaps throughout the page, and I wouldn't have cared so much but it cuts out the most important parts of the page. Fuck you printer! I'll try again later, since I haven't time right now.