Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Mar 21st, 2019

(Mar 21st, 2019, 06:54 PM)Yuri Wrote:
Your set up seems to be made up of many tiny little laptops and monitors, but it looks like a nice set up none the less.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like your new job keep your eyes peeled for something different if you can!

Today my tooth has been officially root canal'd so their nothing left but to crown it.

What you don't see is two towers under the desk, (one intel i7-4700k, 16 gigs of ram 500GB SSD, my work computer) and an AMD Ryzen 2700 16 gigs of RAM (I forget how much storage but 2.5 gigs IIRC maybe 3).

The three monitors and the small laptop to the right are used for work, (and if off work the 3 monitors are also used for my gaming PC).

I am hoping I get transfered to their IT department soonish.

Ouch a root canal I am sorry amn, I have had one before not fun...

Actually the red light at the bottom is part of the AMD computer.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 21st, 2019

What sort of job requires six screens and keyboards?! Blink

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Mar 22nd, 2019

I like towers more because they provide far more power and are definitely fixable unlike questionable laptops! Grin I don't really know much of the technical stuff tbh. I wish you luck PM!

Honestly the root canal overall wasn't too bad. The worst part was the first visit where they actually scrapped out the root even when numbed I could still feel it, but it wasn't too bad.

@Moony:
What you don't realize Moony PM is the PC gamer of UG nobody can beat him at his set up and if we are honest this is the bare minimum for PC master race! If we were talking top of the line he'd have an overpowered overclocked PC in every room of his house with multiple desk scattered across his house.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Mar 22nd, 2019

(Mar 21st, 2019, 11:34 PM)Moonface Wrote:
What sort of job requires six screens and keyboards?! Blink

The laptop and the screen to the right of it (in the foreground) are a media server / used for background noise when I am at work (e.g. music streaming/netflix).
The three screens in the center and the surface pro are used for work as we are expected to be have a bunch of info at once. Meh

One screen for the account notes/billing history, one for the audit form, one for the audio file (because we can only use the shitty Windows Media player plug in :x), and then the surface pro for notes I made from meeting or other wise about how to audit.

As for the keyboards, the laptop I wanted to use one of my mechs Tongue, the gaming PC has the tenkeyless and the one behind it as I am trying out the tenkeyless.

I use synergy to control the laptop + gaming + work computers mostly but every now and then syngery has a hiccup and I need to still access my work stuff quickly.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 23rd, 2019

So did your job give any sort of compensation for needing that setup (assuming they require it), or are you just expected to put all that stuff forward for the same pay as a job that would provide the office and equipment to you?

Also, I miss how easy it was to do image borders on ZB for themes. I'm trying to begin recreating Woolly World for MyBB and the image borders for the main wrap are being a pain to implement in comparison to ZB. >.<
I'm also getting an urge to one day make a Splatoon theme just because the UI for that game is so damn good!

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Mar 24th, 2019

(Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:31 PM)Moonface Wrote:
So did your job give any sort of compensation for needing that setup (assuming they require it), or are you just expected to put all that stuff forward for the same pay as a job that would provide the office and equipment to you?

No compensation, outside of the Ryzen 7 2700 system (I used thet job as an excuse to get a new gaming PC and use my old one for Work (with a fresh SSD in it), and three of the headsets <_< (because work "Required" an USB headset the logitech one wasn't picking up my voice and wasnt nice to wear for hours on end, the Razer one was a temp replacement, until I got a wireless headset which is one of the two on the mic arm), everything else is stuff I acquired though out the years.

I also wanted a second computer for work as I wanted to make sure there was work-life separation.

I found out later that if you needed a computer work would send you one, but given that communication is crap in the company, and that I was given outdated and conflciting system specs (such as stuff that only applied to Windsors Vista be listed yet the only OSes supported are 7 and 10...) I figured it was best I had my own system...

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Mar 25th, 2019

So is it a job that actually gives enough work for a whole day, or more like the "dream" office job where you get 8 hours to do a 2 hour job and can just doss about for a lot of the day? Tongue

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Mar 26th, 2019

(Mar 25th, 2019, 09:07 PM)Moonface Wrote:
So is it a job that actually gives enough work for a whole day, or more like the "dream" office job where you get 8 hours to do a 2 hour job and can just doss about for a lot of the day? Tongue

I only work at most 20 hours a week at max <_<.
So no to both.,

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - Mar 29th, 2019

Ah well, I suppose the plus is working from home at least. Hope that job won't be too much of a pain.

9 hour shift today (8 and a half including break), 10 hour shift tomorrow (30 min and then 1 hour break, so same amount of work time). Yay. Well, it's a good thing considering I realised I messed up my pre-order of Yoshi's Crafted World. I did in-store I stupidly didn't realise it won't be a home delivery, but store pick up, and didn't ask on the day. So the store I ordered from is a good 1-2 hours away, £20+ train ticket to get to, and I'm working overtime during the 48 hours I have to pick it up, meaning I won't get to the store. I'd rather waste my £5 deposit than £20+ on a nothing 'day' out. I'll get that money back from the overtime anyway, plus I have a good £45 on my reward card, so I can get Crafted World or another game for free at another time really.

Speaking of, PAX East is going and noticed a certain image, err rather gif, in the Twitter feed. Probably more suited for the designated topic.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 8th, 2019

I'd lose my mind eventually from working at home. I need to go out of the house at least a few times a week otherwise I either go crazy or I end up getting depressed from being by myself for most of the week. Sad

I can't wait to finish up my homework I need to do so I can sit down and watch WrestleMania. It's the only time of year I will ever care to watch WWE because it's the only time they can manage to put on a guaranteed good production. XD

Also, for those interested, I've started working on a conversion for Woolly World. I can't really estimate how long it'll take due to the uncertainty of school assignments, but I only have four more weeks of school so I should be able to crank it out for the summer at the latest. ^_^

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - Apr 9th, 2019

Working from home would be amazing. If I could just make all of my money from the comfort of my home and never have to go outside and deal with the stupidity of the human race, I'd be as happy as could be.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 9th, 2019

(Apr 9th, 2019, 04:12 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Working from home would be amazing. If I could just make all of my money from the comfort of my home and never have to go outside and deal with the stupidity of the human race, I'd be as happy as could be.
You remind me of the main character from My Roommate Is A Cat at the start. He dislikes having to deal with any people because he finds them all a nuisance. XD

RE: Universal Chat Thread - lp0 on fire - Apr 10th, 2019

(Apr 9th, 2019, 04:12 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:

If only I was paid enough so I could live.... <_<

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Apr 10th, 2019

You seem to be living so far if you ask me. Unless you're posting from beyond the grave? O_O

RE: Universal Chat Thread - queenzelda - Apr 11th, 2019

(Apr 10th, 2019, 10:05 PM)Moonface Wrote:
You seem to be living so far if you ask me. Unless you're posting from beyond the grave? O_O

I think he means; making a nice enough 'living wage'. I knew of someone who worked at Arby's who said he was making less then a living wage & hated it.