Universal Gaming
Universal Chat Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Universal Chat Thread (/showthread.php?tid=23)

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Frank - May 28th, 2019

(May 27th, 2019, 11:33 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Good news: Zoey's leg is completely fine. She's back to being her usual bitchy self.

In other news: I put my two-week notice in today. In the end I just determined that this job is not for me. I figured the manager would be a bit upset that I'm quitting after a week, but she actually was just like, yeah, I completely understand. Turns out she was putting her notice in today as well, lol. So both of us are quitting after a week.

Went and met with my previous boss last night and we had a good chat. We came to an agreement on a plan to make sure I get the hours I require out of the job this time, and with the toxicity of that one co-worker gone, I feel going back is going to be a positive and not a negative.

But yeah, when even the new manager can't last week, I know it's a good thing I decided that it wasn't for me and am getting out of there quick.

Glad your kitty's leg is okay!  ^_^

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - May 28th, 2019

@DL: Dang, it was that bad at the new job? Since the new manager thought similar and literally doing the same, all for the best then. XD

(May 28th, 2019, 01:51 AM)ShiraNoMai Wrote:
Let us know how MCM went, EL! Especially if you got to sit in on a Nolan North & Troy Baker panel. LOL

Yup, had a good time. Glad I wasn't going for the whole, even though I did end up not buying Shield Hero novels I wanted, and forgot where the artbooks (that I didn't go through) I saw on two stalls were when I first past them. Did however buy 4 posters from an artist called Eternal-S (Shield Hero, Joker & Arsene, Link & Zelda, Spirited Away), two Code Geass figurines and Arslan Series 1 Part 1 & 2 blu-ray Limited Edition that were £10 each (turns out I saved £4 or something of ordered from Amazon, I thought it was going to be more, eh).
Did indeed sit in for the Retro Replay Live Podcast. Troy started going on about Game Of Thrones plus other shows/films briefly, then both went on to talk about photos, social media then finally their Retro Replay stuff and plans. XD Also later on for Outside Xbox and their D&D adventure. Felt a bit long winded, but was a good build up in the end for the finale.

Bought an A2 display book for the posters I've bought and received free from Comic Con, so I can flick through instead of having rolled up somewhere, or on walls. Still have some on my walls though.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 28th, 2019

(May 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Keep meaning to reply to this. Am interested to know what you've learned in physical wellness. Have a few exercises on paper I habhave tried yet with weights, but I can add on to that. Perhaps tell me on Discord if you still use that, but I won't be on for a bit, as I'm going out. Next Tues, Thurs or weekend will be good.
I have Discord on my phone and check it from time to time, so it'll be fine. I'd say do Thursday or Saturday as those are the days I don't work. Otherwise, maybe use PM's since then we don't need to be on at the same time. I know the same can be done with Discord, but I worry I'll dismiss a notification while at work and then forget about looking at the message entirely by the time I get home. XD

(May 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Going to Comic Con today by myself, last time was 2 years ago now. Stuff worth seeing today at least for me, Troy Baker & Nolan North together and Outside Xbox both have a panel. Weekend isn't worth it, but trains or some aren't running tomorrow or Sunday anyway.
Of course they're not running. Every single time Comic Con is on they do train work. I get that it's a reasonable weekend to do it, but I can't believe they're still doing work on a weekend that they know will see a lot of travel. Rolleyes

(May 28th, 2019, 05:55 PM)Mr EliteL Wrote:
Bought an A2 display book for the posters I've bought and received free from Comic Con, so I can flick through instead of having rolled up somewhere, or on walls. Still have some on my walls though.
That's actually a really good idea for storing posters if you lack space on walls, or don't want to spend money on frames for all of them (which to me is the only way to hang any poster up nowadays to show it off properly and not turn your house/room into something belonging to a 14 year old Tongue ). Has MCM gotten any bigger or has it stayed pretty much like it was when we last went together?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Dragon Lord - May 29th, 2019

Well, now I know I made the right decision in deciding this job wasn't for me. The manager walked out, the assistant manager is putting a two-week notice in... this store is going to shit fast. All thanks to the District Manager being a complete cunt.

I had heard from everyone there that she was awful, but I got to experience it first hand yesterday. When I got there, she introduced herself to me and then proceeded to ask if there was any way they could stop me from leaving. I politely said no, that this job wasn't a good fit for me and I'd only end up being a hindrance to the team. After that point, she wouldn't have acknowledged me if I was dying on the floor. They had a manager from another store there yesterday too, and oh my god, what a fucking bitch. After they got done doing what they had to do, she came up to the register to buy some stuff. Now, we are supposed to ask every customer, regardless of who they are, if they found everything alright. So I did just that. In return, she said in a very bitchy tone (basically a "are you fucking retarded?" tone), "Of course I did. I work at one of these stores" and rolled her eyes.

Ummm. Okay. As a manager of a store, AND AS SOMEONE WHO TRAINS OTHER MANAGERS, you know that you're supposed to ask that to everyone no matter who they are. Sorry I was doing my job. Next time I'll know to say, "Please tell me this is all you're getting so I can get you the fuck out of the store asap."

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 29th, 2019

I hate district managers simply because the second they announce they're visiting, everyone goes into panic mode. Problems that need to be seen to be resolved are hidden and shelves are tidied despite the fact that how they currently are is what customers see and we don't tidy it for them every waking minute of the day, so why does the DM get preferential treatment over those who in the eyes of the company are the most important people to walk in the door?

Personally I think DM's should be on par to a mystery shopper. They walk in without announcing themselves and even try to wear something to hide their identity, and they just proceed to look things over without anyone getting the chance to clean up. Same goes for when schools have visits like OFSTED (I do not know the US equivalent) or parental visits, and they tell all the kids they have to be on their best behaviour, etc. because they know in advance it's happening. I get with parent visits they'll always know, but inspectors should just walk in and not even give anyone the chance to put on a fake act for the sake of a good review. The fact the school won't even attempt to deal with problems as efficiently any other time of the year says volumes to how little schools actually care for that shit and just want to appear good on the surface. Errm

In this case it's not that people get nervous about the DM coming, but that the DM blatantly abuses her power and looks down on everyone lower than her on the corporate chain like they are worthless worms for her to step on.

Sounds like the store manager I had in my last job before I left it to move to the US. The only problem for him was the entire store basically turned against him and just ignored him constantly in the end until he was removed.

It's sad to see at this store, because the manager here was really nice. She expected things to get done and get done right, but she wasn't a bitch about it. She had a good time with her employees and wanted them all to feel good about their jobs. It's very sad to see a dirty District Manager completely ruin such a good environment the manager was building here.

If it wasn't for the manager, I wouldn't even have put in a two week notice. I would have just been like, 'Yeah, this job isn't for me. Bye." But because she was so nice, and a very good manager, I wasn't going to just bail on her. I wanted to give her the two weeks so she could use me to help out with whatever she needed before she lost the extra body.

I'm fully expecting to go there today and just be treated like garbage, and I'm going to have a very short fuse in that regard. They so much as sneeze wrong and I'm throwing my keys in their face and getting the hell out of there.

You're leaving anyway, and it's not like you'd bother using the place as a reference given how short you're going to be there for, so I'd take no prisoners if it were me. Nothing negative is going to come back on you, so I'd just let them have it and hopefully knock them down a few pegs at the same time.

The only reason negative that would come from walking out is that they use a company for background checks, and if I walk out I'll be flagged in that system for having done so. So if any other places also use that company to do background checks, they'll see me flagged for it and likely won't hire me.

However, the odds of me going and applying at a business that also uses that same background check company are probably pretty low. I have discovered that my back and knees cannot handle a retail job, so I will be avoiding any retail jobs in the future.

UPDATE: So I ended up walking out on the job today. I got there and the first thing the DM asked me was if I would work five days past my two-week notice (lul no). Then she proceeded to tell me that I would be alone in closing the store tonight. Me, a trainee who hasn't been shown how to properly do everything yet. Tonight was the night I was going to learn how to properly do everything. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let me think about that how about NO. I'm not putting myself in a situation where if I make a mistake (and seeing, as I've already said, I haven't been shown how to properly do everything yet, the chances of that happening are extremely high), they would rip me apart.

Sorry you chased your Manager away and pissed off the Assistant Manager so she doesn't want to give up her day off to cover for you, but I am not going to let myself risk being put into what is a major lose-lose situation on my part.

So I left there, immediately went and told my old boss that I was ready to come back to work there asap, and she wrote me in on the schedule tomorrow. Don't have to worry about going any amount of time without working.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Mr EliteL - May 30th, 2019

(May 28th, 2019, 09:24 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Has MCM gotten any bigger or has it stayed pretty much like it was when we last went together?
Am planning to do some exercises tomorrow, so yeah why not.

Yeah, kinda wished I framed some before I decided to use blu tack, as that's ruined some posters, or at least their corners. The ones I have up still use them. XD Do have another A2 folder, but that's only a normal folder and had no pages like a display book does. Going to use that for old calendars that have decent artwork in them.

The MCM Comic Con was about the same size it was in 2017. Was one side slightly larger back then though, as this time I believe they both used the same amount of halls, N1-N6 and S1-S6. Ah, remember the masses of crowds just going past stalls and the like, that I don't miss. XD  Definitely needed more gaming areas, but I suppose there's the later conventions in the year for them. Still, would like to have what we used to have back.

Cat came out the vet today, had her teeth cleaned and such. Was really groggy coming back home, but was to be expected of her age. She was a very stubborn in staying up though, didn't even go to sleep until we are really. She did look like she needed a good rest in a comfortable place at home, so should be getting that now.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - May 30th, 2019

To be fair the May MCM is always hit or miss with games since E3 is around the corner so publishers are looking more at that event than anywhere else. Even with PAX I wouldn't say there was a notable number of big AAA titles present. Most of those probably turn up at conventions later in the year since most games launch around the October - November mark.

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Jun 5th, 2019

I'm glad you got out of there Night Lord will you be just staying at your old job or will you be looking for something new while working there too?

@EL: Your cat is stubborn about sleeping? Is your cat okay?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Moonface - Jun 5th, 2019

I expect the cat chose to stay up because it wanted the reassurance after being at the vet that everything was OK. My cat will always be up and about if we've taken him to the vet or been out of the house for a while when we normally aren't, so it might just be some safety thing they do.

How have you been Yuri?

RE: Universal Chat Thread - Karo - Jun 5th, 2019

I've been pretty good I honestly have to figure out what I'm going to be doing after I finish my last few classes in the fall if I'll be going for my BA and what I'm suppose to be going for and beside that I have mainly just been okay.

I actually bought the Crash Bandicoot games for PC yesterday and I really enjoyed it and I loved how the remake retained all the original charm and given us the ability to play as Coco too! Grin

What about you Moony?