Universal Gaming
What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? (/showthread.php?tid=249)

Pages: 1 2

What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Moonface - Nov 2nd, 2018

One thing that I dislike is when games don't keep things in their world consistent. For example, some bushes in GTA V can be driven through while others of the same size will be like hitting a brick wall. Until you know otherwise, driving through things is a game of Russian roulette.

I'm also not a fan of games that only let the character climb on designated spots, especially in open world games. Having to go around because I can't climb some shoulder height ledge is ridiculous.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Nightingale - Nov 2nd, 2018

Auto-regenerating health is the feature I dislike the most. I wanna pay for my mistakes, not stand on a corner until everything is fine again. What's the challenge on that?

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Moonface - Nov 2nd, 2018

(Nov 2nd, 2018, 05:09 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Auto-regenerating health is the feature I dislike the most. I wanna pay for my mistakes, not stand on a corner until everything is fine again. What's the challenge on that?
I hated this most in Tomb Raider 2013. For a game about survival, they removed medkits, which have always been a thing for Tomb Raider.

I feel like more games are starting to go back to health bars now though. It's been rare for me to see regenerative health in any of my PS4 games, whereas it seemed to be a trend on PS3.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Nightingale - Nov 3rd, 2018

I'd also like to add "inverted axis on anything that's NOT a flying game" to the list of mechanics I don't like.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Moonface - Nov 7th, 2018

(Nov 3rd, 2018, 09:11 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
I'd also like to add "inverted axis on anything that's NOT a flying game" to the list of mechanics I don't like.
I can forgive this if the game lets you choose whether to invert the axis or not. I still wish it wouldn't be inverted by defaultĀ on games that don't need it but if I don't have the option to change it then that would be the worst. >.<

I'm also not a fan of collectibles that don't give an adequate reward for the effort it takes to find them all, i.e. completing the multiple groups of 50 collectibles in GTA V, or 900 Korok seeds in BotW. Also, don't have an open world game where I have zero hint of where to find your collectibles nor an easy way to detect them as I travel the world. I don't want to imagine how long it would take to find them all in GTA V without a guide.

Something I do like however (since I think most of my remarks have been of dislikes so far) is when cutscenes don't have an instant skip button. RDR2 requires you to hold the button down for a few seconds to skip the cutscene you're watching, and I love that. Same for games that get you to pause and choose Skip Cutscene, such as Uncharted. I dislike having a fear of my controller during cutscenes out of fear I'll accidentally skip it because I touched a button by mistake or worse, can't tell if it's safe to see if I can pause during it.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Nightingale - Nov 7th, 2018

Something I really like is the possibility of racing alone and without timer on driving games. It's so relaxing, I wish all of them had that.

(Nov 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
Something I really like is the possibility of racing alone and without timer on driving games. It's so relaxing, I wish all of them had that.
I can't even think of a racing game that offers the ability to race alone and without a timer. What games are there that have that?

(Nov 7th, 2018, 08:13 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Nov 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
I can't even think of a racing game that offers the ability to race alone and without a timer. What games are there that have that?

Need for Speed 3 and Moto Racer both on the PS1 offer that.

Huh, don't remember Moto Racer having a solo mode without any timers. Unless you mean the timers that count down, rather than just a clock that records your lap time?

(Nov 7th, 2018, 09:41 PM)Moonface Wrote:
Huh, don't remember Moto Racer having a solo mode without any timers. Unless you mean the timers that count down, rather than just a clock that records your lap time?

You still have to go through the checkpoints, but that's very minor and hard to fail.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - fantanoice - Nov 8th, 2018

Twin stick shooting is bad 100% of the time

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Nightingale - Nov 14th, 2018

I don't even remember what game did this now, but there was an old (DOS-based) WW2 game that, among other things, measured your troops' morale and would make them automatically surrender if it went too low. I thought this was awesome and wish more games had done so.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Moonface - Nov 26th, 2018

(Nov 14th, 2018, 11:20 PM)Nightingale Wrote:
I don't even remember what game did this now, but there was an old (DOS-based) WW2 game that, among other things, measured your troops' morale and would make them automatically surrender if it went too low. I thought this was awesome and wish more games had done so.
Sounds likeĀ the trust system in The Thing, where your actions and surroundings could affect companion NPC's into refusing to do things, turn on others, fire their weapon uncontrollably or outright kill themselves. There were a few ways you could handle people and some could actually upset those around you.

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Mr EliteL - Nov 28th, 2018

At the moment I can't think of any (but am sure there's some I dislike), other than the one I'm about to mention as I experienced it recently. That is any racing games that punish the player from turning around on a track and driving the opposite direction. Screw that, just let us have the idiotic fun of driving against racers. Although that wasn't what I was going to do in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe exactly. I turned around to go and collect a coin I past. I had 9 and was way ahead of anyone else on Sherbet Land, went back, got picked up by Lakitu for going the wrong way, lose 3 coins, give up on it and started for the finish line, get hit by a red or blue shell, lose 3 more coins and end up with 4 coins at the end. I know you can reverse to go back too, I just thought it wouldn't do that then. XD

RE: What Game Mechanics Do You Like/Dislike? - Moonface - Nov 29th, 2018

Couldn't you have reversed to collect the coin without being seen as driving the wrong way?