Universal Gaming
What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? (/showthread.php?tid=306)

What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Moonface - Mar 1st, 2019

Considering that Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, MediEvil, Resident Evil, and other old games from 15-20 years ago have all seen remakes over the past few years, what games from this generation and the previous one do you think will be remade in about 20 years from now, if any?

I've been trying to come up with at least one game that could get a remake, but it's hard because a lot of games being remade currently are because the hardware couldn't do what it can now, and simply remastering the visuals alone wouldn't do much because games in the 90's aren't detailed enough to begin with (especially in polygons) to simply slap on some higher resolution textures and stuff like your typical remaster gets. Hmm

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Hotspot - Mar 1st, 2019

Probably games that did very well, like Mario Odyssey, and LOZ: Breath of the Weave Snatcher Wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter games, if not continued, make some kind of come back in some way.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Kyng - Mar 1st, 2019

Some of the older Elder Scrolls games seem like good candidates. Given how phenomenally successful Skyrim has been phenomenally popular, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw re-imaginings of Morrowind and Oblivion at some point in the 2020s. (Yes, I know they both have mods using the Skyrim engine, but I expect Bethesda will want to cash in on that Tongue )

Also, what about Minecraft? It depends very much on whether or not it's still selling well in 15-20 years' time: if it is, then there will be no need to re-make it; however, if it's been dead for several years, then Microsoft (or whoever owns the rights to the game by then) might be willing to give it a go.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - ShiraNoMai - Mar 4th, 2019

(Mar 1st, 2019, 05:36 AM)Hotspot Wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Shooter games, if not continued, make some kind of come back in some way.

These and other realistically graphic-focused games I think will be the most interesting ones to follow up with. At that point, I wonder if it'll get to the point where the remake turns into a complete VR + FMV sequence experience. Hmm

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Dragon Lord - Mar 4th, 2019

Nekopara (adult version) in full, immersive Virtual Reality.

Hnnnggg.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Moonface - Mar 4th, 2019

(Mar 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM)Kyng Wrote:
Also, what about Minecraft? It depends very much on whether or not it's still selling well in 15-20 years' time: if it is, then there will be no need to re-make it; however, if it's been dead for several years, then Microsoft (or whoever owns the rights to the game by then) might be willing to give it a go.
I don't think the game could be remade, at least not in the traditional sense like most games would get. The visual style wouldn't change much, if at all, and most features would remain. It would basically just be a relaunch of whatever the last update was, and maybe adding in some new stuff, which at that point just makes a Minecraft remake to most likely be an update and maybe a rewrite of the game code to make it better in some way.

The chances of Minecraft getting an outright remake is probably on par to the game getting a sequel. There's just not much you could do to warrant calling it a remake or a new game, it would just be a revival of what already existed.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - queenzelda - Mar 5th, 2019

My thought is that Indy games that aren't all 3D GC get remade. Games like Blossom Tales gets remade, & other sleeper hits like Stardew Valley & the like.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Moonface - Mar 5th, 2019

The only issue with a lot of the indie games are that any which are self published might be hard to remake 20 years from now if the company that made the game no longer exists. For example, who would get the right to make Stardew Valley if the original developer went under? The rights would die with the company unless they sold them off.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Grungie - Mar 6th, 2019

It’s probably going to be whatever’s really popular and still held in high regards

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Metallix - Mar 6th, 2019

I could see the original Uncharted getting remade with upgrades the series saw throughout the years. Still has the best story of the series imo.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - queenzelda - Mar 7th, 2019

(Mar 5th, 2019, 06:06 PM)Moonface Wrote:
The only issue with a lot of the indie games are that any which are self published might be hard to remake 20 years from now if the company that made the game no longer exists. For example, who would get the right to make Stardew Valley if the original developer went under? The rights would die with the company unless they sold them off.
What if Nintendo bought some of these games from their developers? It could happen. Also.. Um.. It sounds like you don't expect all of these indy devs to make it past 20 years, which is kinda depressing. That would mean we'd loose a whole lot of gaming history to time if a lot of them don't survive.

Still, if not them I could also see way older games get HD remakes; like Majora's Mask since the 3DS remake was alright. Same with Ocarina of Time. yea the graphics were smoothed over; but they both still need a total remake impo.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - Moonface - Mar 7th, 2019

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply those indie companies will definitely all cease to exist twenty years from now. I was just addressing the possibility of what problems might arise should any particular indie company go under without giving the rights to their IP over to someone else.

RE: What Games Do You Think Will Be Remade 20 Years From Now? - WR91 - Jul 14th, 2022

I'm not really sure what games will be remade in 20 years time since I most likely won't be continuing to collect. (Once games go 100% digital I'm out).

I am still waiting for a Legend of Zelda: OoT re-release though.