Universal Gaming
Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Video Games (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Ratchet & Clank (Series) (/showthread.php?tid=311)

Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Moonface - Mar 7th, 2019

[Image: Ratchetandclanklogo.png]

Original Series: Ratchet & Clank / Going Commando / Up Your Arsenal / Deadlocked
Future Saga: Tools of Destruction / Quest for Booty / A Crack in Time / Into the Nexus
Re-Imagining: Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

Spin-offs: Size Matters / Secret Agent Clank / All 4 One / Full Frontal Assault
Mobile: Going Mobile / Before the Nexus

Anyone else a fan of Ratchet & Clank or played any of the games? Smile

I've played all except Into the Nexus, Secret Agent Clank, Full Frontal Assault, and the mobile games. If I were to rate the games I've played in the main series, it would roughly be like this:
  1. Going Commando
  2. Ratchet & Clank
  3. A Crack in Time
  4. Tools of Destruction
  5. Quest for Booty
  6. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
  7. Up Your Arsenal
  8. Deadlocked
If GC had the weapon upgrade features that UYA had, then it would be the perfect R&C game for me. Had the PS4 remake actually been faithful to the original game and not bound by that unnecessary movie, then it would have probably had a chance at being my favourite R&C game. Alas, the gameplay was one of the few things that didn't get tarnished in that game, and I hope Insomniac put that game aside as a one-off thing and go back to the style of the other mainline R&C games.

Also I made this thread to respond to this from another thread:

(Mar 6th, 2019, 02:38 AM)Metallix Wrote:
I just hope they do another Ratchet game before the inevitable Spider-Man 2.

I'd like to see a new Ratchet game soon, but I'm wary about whether the new game would try to follow on from the PS4 remake, mistakes included. Hopefully they retcon the thing since it causes problems with the continuity of all the other games (especially the OG trilogy) and it's probably the worst characterisation of Ratchet in the entire franchise.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Metallix - Mar 8th, 2019

I think they will make another because it was their best selling Ratchet game ever. As far as the reboot goes I didn’t think the story was that bad. It wasn’t as good as the original for sure and could have been better but i still enjoyed it. The reason I put the reboot at the top is for gameplay though, it really took everything good the series evolved throughout the years and rolled it up into one.

A Crack in Time is a great game and I loved the moons but it really hurt that Ratchet and Clank were separated most of the game. Even though you got hover boots to make up for it, I didn’t like that at all.

I think you should really try Into the Nexus though. It was a great game. It wasn’t a full length game but I think it was longer than Quest for Booty. It also introduced innovations seen in the reboot like the Jetpack. Also I really liked the enemies.

Of the ones I’ve played:
1) Ratchet & Clank PS4
2) Ratchet & Clank Original
3) Into the Nexus
4) Tools of Destruction
5) Quest For Booty
6) A Crack in Time
7) Size Matters

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Moonface - Mar 11th, 2019

For gameplay the reboot was perfect. I just disliked that a big part of the character development of the original game was completely removed to make Ratchet more likeable to the kids, and it weakens the bond between him and Clank as a result. I just dislike that the story was clearly altered purely to make the game and movie more appealing to children for more money, when the original game ironically has a theme of how bad money and consumerism is as soon as you get off Veldin.

I think they will make another too, but as I said, I'm wary what the direction will be. We can't get a remake of Ratchet & Clank 2 (nor should we, this series does not need to become the next remake train) and I certainly don't want the remake to have opened the doors on Nefarious coming back yet again. He's been the villain of almost half of the home console titles and there's nothing left to tell about his character or any interactions Ratchet & Clank can have with him. It has to be someone new.

Also, is the jetpack you're referring to the one used on Gaspar to fly around? If so, that device technically first appeared in Going Commando, however it had far more limited fuel. I think it wasn't used again though until Nexus since I can't recall it in other games, and it certainly couldn't have existed in QfB or ACiT.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Metallix - Mar 11th, 2019

Yeah I thought they weakened their relationship too but thematically the new story fits. After the first game they were always buddy buddy and the first game sticks out.

I don’t think they’ll do another remake but maybe continue off of the reboot in an alternate timeline? Idk but I would like an all original story arc but I suspect the next Ratchet game will be saved for PS5. It’s safe to say it won’t be tied in with a movie too as that movie lost the studio money. Even their Sly movie got cancelled albeit in favor of a TV show.

There was a jet pack in GC or was it Clank’s rocket upgrade? Either way the style of jetpack in gaspar was first used in Nexus. Nexus was a nice return to form after the tons of spinoffs they did.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Moonface - Mar 18th, 2019

(Mar 11th, 2019, 11:18 PM)Metallix Wrote:
There was a jet pack in GC or was it Clank’s rocket upgrade? Either way the style of jetpack in gaspar was first used in Nexus. Nexus was a nice return to form after the tons of spinoffs they did.
I'm referring to this: https://ratchetandclank.fandom.com/wiki/Levitator

It isn't the exact same gadget, but it was the first time the series had some degree of allowing the player to fly around the environment with fuel consumption.

As for their relationship, it was different for every game after the first but that was to be expected since the first game is about them reaching their buddy buddy status together. I understand it needed to be changed for the sake of the movie/remake, but I think they could have at least had Ratchet have a period where he starts to doubt Clank, such as Clank finding out that Quark wasn't who he claimed but Ratchet refusing to believe it until he witnesses it for himself. Ratchet could have still had a moment where he realises he was a jerk without it needing to be as brutal as the original game portrays it.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - WR91 - Sep 28th, 2020

I never played the Ratchet & Clank series until it hit the PS4 in a soft reboot but I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whenever the new Ratchet & Clank game hit the store shelves, I'll be picking it up for sure.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - Moonface - Sep 28th, 2020

(Sep 28th, 2020, 05:30 PM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
I never played the Ratchet & Clank series until it hit the PS4 in a soft reboot but I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
If you ever have a chance to play the older games, I'd suggest sticking with the Future quadrilogy that was on PS3. The PS2 games are good too but they're going to feel really dated compared to the gameplay of the PS4 reboot game.

RE: Ratchet & Clank (Series) - WR91 - Sep 28th, 2020

(Sep 28th, 2020, 09:22 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Sep 28th, 2020, 05:30 PM)WrestleRacer91 Wrote:
If you ever have a chance to play the older games, I'd suggest sticking with the Future quadrilogy that was on PS3. The PS2 games are good too but they're going to feel really dated compared to the gameplay of the PS4 reboot game.
Ok. Thanks for the heads up.  Smile