Universal Gaming
I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Start Screen (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess (/showthread.php?tid=43)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Sep 10th, 2018

Yea, my parents got into the same fad diet, except they explained why to my younger brother & I.

Do you like garlic?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - Chloe - Sep 10th, 2018

You watch any talk shows?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 10th, 2018

@queenzelda I do, I would never make it as a vampire Whistle

@Chloe I do not, I might watch/listen to a podcast type show every now and then but its not a regular thing.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - fantanoice - Sep 11th, 2018

(Sep 10th, 2018, 02:56 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Turkey, I can enjoy if it I am in the mood for it.

My relationship with Turkey is built on broken trust, when I was young my mom got in to a fad diet that basically you replace every meat with turkey.
She would tell me it was pork/beef/what ever but it ended up being turkey, although "you were not suppose to be able to tell the difference" I was able to.
It happened multiple times.

Oh yeah, I know of a few Mums like that (my friend's Mum used to say veal was chicken). Kinda funny because turkey absolutely has a distinct taste.

What podcasts do you listen to?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 11th, 2018

(Sep 11th, 2018, 05:00 AM)fantanoice Wrote:
(Sep 10th, 2018, 02:56 PM)percussive maintenance Wrote:
Turkey, I can enjoy if it I am in the mood for it.

My relationship with Turkey is built on broken trust, when I was young my mom got in to a fad diet that basically you replace every meat with turkey.
She would tell me it was pork/beef/what ever but it ended up being turkey, although "you were not suppose to be able to tell the difference" I was able to.
It happened multiple times.

Oh yeah, I know of a few Mums like that (my friend's Mum used to say veal was chicken). Kinda funny because turkey absolutely has a distinct taste.

What podcasts do you listen to?

If we define podcasts as "conversational or narrative driven/focused content with no to little focus on visual elements" (Because I have no idea what the modern meaning of "podcast" is and am stuck in the "audio files that you downloaded on to your ipod to listen to at some point that were mostly talk show like in content).
Lawsplaining mostly on stuff that covers/ed the George Ouzounian et al v. Dax Herrera et al lawsuit (aka the "The Biggest Lawsuit in the Universe" and the "LoLSuit").

Let me Tell you About.... This is really iffy as I only really listen to some of their older stuff that dealt with niche internet culture stuff and even then..its kind of just meeeh IMO.

Bedtime Stories Narration of creepy/weird/odd stories that may or may not be paranormal in nature and has (some light) skepticism in it.

[ulr=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4PooiX37Pld1T8J5SYT-SQ]Good Mystical Morning[/url] Debatable as I only really watch some selected content there but its some what in a podcast format although I do keep them on screem, the other ones you don't lose as much (or anything) keeping them in the background, at lease when it comes to their food challenges.

Other stuff is more on off and I am not suscribed to on youtube so I don't know their channels or names off hand.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - fantanoice - Sep 11th, 2018

I usually listen to them on Spotify. I think iTunes is still the 'haven' for them but that involves an Apple device and big no to that.

What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 11th, 2018

Storm chasing,
Talking college classes for the "fun" of it
Off roading with my Jeep Whistle
Going to the family farm a lot more / Getting the barn at the family farm torn down then rebuilt (foundation is breaking apart) Whistle

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Sep 13th, 2018

Could I take a zetaboards code & create a 'mycode' with it? Or would I need permission first?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 14th, 2018

If we are talking about what was presented in your dream, since Brandon gave you the code with out you singing any agreement first you could do what ever you wanted with it (other then maybe brand it/make it seem like you are the official owner of the IP/trademark/copyright of Zetaboards you just own a copy of the zetaboards code with out many/any restrictions).

If you are talking about JS codes that were made for Zetaboards, officaly yes you need to get permission form the creator(s) of the code for the most part (there would be exceptions, but that is beyond the scope of my knowledge/time/this question I would assume).

Now realistically, you might be in the clear as 1) the codes were provided for free to the public (so not much in terms of damages), 2) if you keep in tact any copyright notices and/or make notice of the original code and creator in the/a copyright that would be made. You might be fine.

* lp0 on fire takes a deep breath and starts to talk fast
Legal Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in any jurisdiction out side of my head. My non legal training is limited to what was covered in my political science classes, constitutional law class (that I was half awake for), and philosophy of law classes I took. The information contained in this post is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking legal or other professional advice

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Sep 14th, 2018

Ah, understood. Technically, with zetaboards going the way of the dodo I'd be free and clear, as long as I give credit where credit is due. ;3 Which I shall.

question: Should I hold onto my shorts when the remains of Florence hits?? Tongue

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 14th, 2018

(Sep 14th, 2018, 12:55 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Ah, understood. Technically, with zetaboards going the way of the dodo I'd be free and clear, as long as I give credit where credit is due. ;3 Which I shall.

question: Should I hold onto my shorts when the remains of Florence hits?? Tongue

In some ways, perhaps, but if you use the source code as is you might be vulnerable to a DMCA claim, in theory. But its a nuanced topic that the the courts often are unprepared for as most judges, lawyers, and juries do not understand even the most simplest of computer shit. <_<

(fuck East Texas federal courts, <_<)

Only if your shorts have a habit of needing to be held up normally Whistle Tongue

But maybe, the models from my weak observation keeps on pushing it more and more east when it curves up, so who knows.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Sep 14th, 2018

Yea, that's true. Also getting a hold of the orig coder isn't happening either since they've been inactive for 'long time'. Idk, there are a ton of mycodes so I'm sure I can find what I need. *shrug* About Florence: if it turns out to be anything like Andrew, when it hit us a lot of local spots lost power & broke the glass windows at the local US mailing center. All of it shattered cause the wind was so strong.

You uh, wish you could chase Florence?

You don't so much chase a hurricane as you sit and wait for it to come to you Tongue

Hurricanes are not my "big" thing, its more tornadoes. I think its Risk (both in physical/danger risk and "opportunity risk" of missing it (i.e. challenge)) vs Reward
Challenge:

Hurricanes are large storms with established predicted paths long before they hit land. You either need to be really stupid or in rare cases unlucky (if it some how made a last minute change) to miss a hurricane if you are chasing it (these days).

The only real "Challenge" I guess would be if you want to make sure you end up in the eye (assuming the hurricane didn't turn in to a Tropical storm by the time it would hit land), As there is the smallest part of a hurricane and can move around a bit depending on motion/if its cycling etc.

Tornadoes, you often have large areas of predictions where a tornado could form covering entire states (or multiple) in most cases, you need to determine what area you want to go to often the spots can be states apart (which means if you made the wrong choice, your SOL), and then hope that Chaos Theory/Butterfly Effect/RNGesus smiles on you.

For every El Reno/OKC 2013 (where it was 110% certain that tornadoes would spawn that day in a specific area) you have 100s if not 1000s of "bust days" (no tornadoes) or where the tornadoes spawned in a place far away then predicted.

Danger:

Don't get me wrong both are EXTREMELY dangerous and have resulted in injury and death.

Hurricanes: Its a monstrous beast that spans 100s of miles, dumping untold amount of rain and wind your way, and sometimes even tornadoes!
The issue is that To get the "best" view of hurricanes you need to basically be on or near the shore, where they will be the most powerful before fully hitting land (although in many cases like Florence, it was most powerful at sea and weakened as it got closer to land, and in rare cases the storm might even strengthen when it starts getting close to land IIRC Katrina did this ) You need to deal with storm surge, (even more) flooding that can easily take out your evac routes, and also needing to deal with flying derbies on a mass scale. In recent Hurricanes most damage, deaths, and the like occurred from the flooding and storm surge then the wind. If shit goes south you have no where to run, no where to hide, all you can do is find high ground and hope it will blow over.

With Tornadoes, there has only been a hand full of chaser deaths all that has happened from 2013 to present, with exception of the TwistX team (who were regarded as being some of the most play it safe chasers) the deaths all have been from stupidity (i.e. running stop signs). Before that there have been no recorded deaths, which is weird considering how low tech things were in the 60s/70s/80s/90s (pay phones for updates, no access to radar readings outside of local news TV, etc) but with how close the chaser community was in those times I can believe it as word would have gotten around via HAM radio if not Storm Track magazine.

If you pick the right spot you can also normally see tornadoes from a safe distance away, and if need be if you have time and space you can get out of its way. The largest tornado recorded was 2.6 miles (this is the one that killed the TwistX team) which is small but is an extreme outlier normally tornadoes max out at like 1 mile.

Although flying derbies will still be a concern (along with hail) the affected area is much smaller and thus easier to avoid (or harder to "hit" depending on how you look at it).

Fun facts: As of the most current radar reading (at time of this post) Florence's eye is ~20 miles across (which makes the El Reno Tornado ~10% of the size of the eye of the hurricane eye).

Reward:
(Assuming we don't include ISS pictures and are doing pictures from the ground)
Tornadoes are just way more photogenic from the twin tornadoes from Dodge City KS a few years back to the 90s "Dead man walking" tornado of Jerrell TX.
Hurricanes all you see are grey/dark skies rain some lighting (maybe) and waves. From a distance they look decent from what I have seen when they are out at sea but once you are under them not much to look at.

With that said: If the USAF Reserve's 53d Weather Reconnaissance Squadron or the NOAA Hurricane Hunters invited me to ride on a flight with them, I'd be scared shitless but I don't think I could turn it down.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Sep 16th, 2018

Did you see the news of a weather reporter bracing to get hit by wind/rain while reporting on Florence, meanwhile in the foreground 2 guys stroll by like nothing's hapoening? memeworthy

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Sep 16th, 2018

I did not, but its not surprising, sadly. And its just bad fake work on their end, if the wind was as strong the stop sign would be shaking at the very lease.
You had this from years back:

Among other things.

From what I can tell TWC only had two trusted mets/reporters who hail back to the early days of TWC, Dr. Greg Forbes who recently retired and Jim "If you see me GTFO" Cantore.