Universal Gaming
I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Start Screen (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess (/showthread.php?tid=43)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 19th, 2018

Have you ever seen The Lego Movie?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 19th, 2018

(Aug 19th, 2018, 05:50 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Have you ever seen The Lego Movie?

Yes, when I first heard about it, it was an "oh shit this is going to be so bad...just another brand cash in"
Needless to say it was one of the few times I was (extremely) pleasantly surprised.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 20th, 2018

I actually played the video game first before I ever watched the movie. The game is great, even if there's more depth to the movie. :3

What do you think of the ban on Peppa Pig in China? Tongue

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 20th, 2018

....Censorship is never good silly old bear. Whistle

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 20th, 2018

Even if he still banned said silly old bear, cause he doesn't look a thing like pooh.. Whistle lol

Favorite beer?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 20th, 2018

(Aug 20th, 2018, 05:09 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Even if he still banned said silly old bear, cause he doesn't look a thing like pooh.. Whistle lol

Favorite beer?

Winnie the Xi Winnie the Xi
Tubby little cubby all stuffed with corruption Whistle

Uhhh...Im not much of a beer person so Mikes hard or Redd's Apple Ale I guess....I'd rather have a hard cider or whiskey Whistle Tongue

I'm a sucker for good cider myself. Tongue

Do you enjoy listening to any podcasts?

Not regularly I will some times come across an episode of a random one that will peak my interest because of the subject but they seem to rarely catch my attention for some reason.

Why is meteorology called that when it should be called weatherology? Cause meteorology should be about the study of meteors. Tongue

Because the Greek Philosopher Aristotle wrote (possibility the first) treatise on weather (and other earth sciences) called Μετεωρολογικά when translated form Greek in to Latin we get Meteorologica or Meteora which finally we to English we get Meteorology (fun fact, St. Thomas Aquinas who I referenced in my "Hellfire" post, made commentary on this treatise).

Now it should be noted the only known (to me and shoddy research) text that predates Aristotle's treatise is by Hippocrates of Kos (where we get the Hippocratic oath ), the text is titled "Airs, Waters and Places" from 400 BC, but it also focuses on illnesses and I can't find a summery of the text, so it might be because Hippocrates doesn't devote a lot of attention on this treatise or it might be that Aristotle's text was found first/was known about before the Hippocratic treatise.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 21st, 2018

But latin is lame, we should like totally come up with a brand new name for it that makes freaking sense. Tongue

Can you tell that I like to riff on you cause I enjoy reading your rants? xD

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 21st, 2018

(Aug 21st, 2018, 02:13 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
But latin is lame, we should like totally come up with a brand new name for it that makes freaking sense. Tongue

Can you tell that I like to riff on you cause I enjoy reading your rants? xD
(I hope ya'll have greek support in your browsers Whistle)
Im just rant prone and bored so I didn't really notice, but...I did ask that question in your topic before I saw this one Tongue

But here you, It has nothing to do with latin, but the original "Μετεωρολογικά" if we look at the root word:
μετέωρος it is broken in to two parts μετά which is translated as meta (As in "beyond") and ἀείρω (aeiro, "I lift up/raise").

Thus it can be translated as "high in the sky" Now if we look at the suffix -λογία which translate to "study of..." we get "The study of things high in the sky", which weather certainly is.

this is all from Shoddy web research as I barely can handle English. Whistle

Fun fact: Ancient Greek (well prior to 323 BC when it started to die out over time) is written in what is called ox turning, that is the first line is written left to right then the next line is right to left, then changing again for each line.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 21st, 2018

But.. Egypt is Egyptian & we're AMERICAN. In America. Tongue [/wonders if he'll get the Bandit Keith LittleKuriboh joke..] Any who... Tongue

question: Do you have any pets?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 21st, 2018

I do not, my parents (yay crippling student debt and medical costs, along with no living wage pay preventing me from getting a place of my own!) have a dog who has always disowned me...he just does what ever he can to avoid me unless he wants something....for some reason he is a cat when it comes to me <_<

But dood... Cats are awesome creatures. It's the dogs who are da ebil. Oh & that cow Stanley. He's super evil! =p

Um, my toshiba laptop's sound will work fine with earphones on but when I remove them the sound won't work sometimes, is there something I can do to fix that or do I just need to save up for a new laptop? Mine's kind of old, by 9 yrs.