Universal Gaming
I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Start Screen (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess (/showthread.php?tid=43)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 21st, 2018

(Aug 21st, 2018, 08:07 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
But dood... Cats are awesome creatures. It's the dogs who are da ebil. Oh & that cow Stanley. He's super evil! =p

Um, my toshiba laptop's sound will work fine with earphones on but when I remove them the sound won't work sometimes, is there something I can do to fix that or do I just need to save up for a new laptop? Mine's kind of old, by 9 yrs.

First thing that comes to mind is, are you sure you didn't mute your sound when the headset is unplugged?
Check for sound driver updates / on the sound icon next to time you might need to select the speakers once or twice maybe.
There might be a driver or audio program that has that setting set to it.

But honestly laptops are meant for like 2 to 4 years (sans battery if you are lucky/take really good care of it maybe 5 to 6, but the hardware also may not be powerful enough to last that either), for numerous reasons, 9 years is a long time for a laptop, and I would suggest looking at replacing it.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 21st, 2018

Well, I know what I'm saving up to get myself for Christmas this year.. Also, my husband thinks that maybe the headphone jack might be broken. But, I'll try fiddling with the settings & see what I can do.

Which browser is your personal favorite??

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 21st, 2018

(Aug 21st, 2018, 07:32 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Well, I know what I'm saving up to get myself for Christmas this year.. Also, my husband thinks that maybe the headphone jack might be broken. But, I'll try fiddling with the settings & see what I can do.

Which browser is your personal favorite??

I guess there could be something in the headphone jack or sensor that is making it say "there is still a headphone in here". But try the software solution first before cracking anything open Tongue

Firefox, IE and Edge are trash, chrome is ran by Google and google (along with facebook, and MS, and Apple need a good round of anti trust busting, Zombie Teddy Roosevelt 2020!). Although the Mozilla corp/foundation have made some very questionable moves in the last few years I feel like Im stuck with Firefox as being the "lesser evil".

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 22nd, 2018

I usually am the kind of person to do that anyway, my husband loves to over complicate things. XD

Into sports of any kind?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 22nd, 2018

Being from Michigan I am obligated to watch a hockey game should it be on TV, but I am not really in to sports.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 23rd, 2018

Are you use ebay or Amazon for anything?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 23rd, 2018

(Aug 23rd, 2018, 12:04 AM)queenzelda Wrote:
Are you use ebay or Amazon for anything?

Currently no, since Im trying my best not to spend money.
I would use Amazon for most of what I would buy online. Ebay was more for more of the niche stuff such as non US MREs/Combat rations.

And well Back in 2004 Star Wars OT was released on DVD for the first time, it included some conversational edits (bloody Hell George Lucas wouldn't stop touching it) such as replacing the original Anakin force ghost with Hayden (and well IMO it was shit acting on Hayden's part). I got the box set for my birthday either in 2004 or 05.

In 2006 the holy grail was released a DVD set of the OT with out the edits, as it was in theaters before the 90s Special Editions (which is what I grew up with). I wanted the set so badly as the only time I saw the unedited versons was from old VHSes while I was in hospital for a summer for Physical Therapy and was mostly knocked out on drugs when they were playing.

On amazon you can get each DVD separate for 6-+ dollars >_< I got the complete boxset for around that same price IIRC.
After I made my ebay account because of some MREs I was going to buy it was the first thing I searched for, found a good copy bought it, it arrived and then realized "Shit I have no DVD player now". AUGH.

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - queenzelda - Aug 23rd, 2018

Depending on the kind of computer you have, you could probably play your dvd's there. All of mine play dvd's just fine. :3

Odd question I know, but: why are laptops not supposed to last 10 yrs for?

RE: I'm the old man who rants! Ask me stuff I guess - lp0 on fire - Aug 23rd, 2018

(Aug 23rd, 2018, 06:43 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
Depending on the kind of computer you have, you could probably play your dvd's there. All of mine play dvd's just fine. :3

Odd question I know, but: why are laptops not supposed to last 10 yrs for?

None of my computers have an optical drive currently Tongue

Damn it Steam.

It is not odd at all, you have many reasons,
1) Less powerful hardware. Due to the energy constraints of a laptop and to "improve" battery performance a laptop CPU is under powered vs a desktop CPU when compaired of the same generation and "model" (i.e. i7 7700 vs i7700HQ (not the best site to go off of but this is the High end laptop i7 7700HQ vs the "basic no thrills" Desktop i7 7700)
(for more fun check out the stock i7 7700 vs the i7 7920HQ (highest end laptop CPU for the 7th gen)
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/m243546vs3887

1.1) It is also less powerful because such a compacted and closed system can handle heat as well as the openness of a desktop (see the Apple Macbook i9 issue)
1.2) It is harder to keep the inside of a laptop clean from dust then a desktop (again compact, and not many parts on a laptop are user serviceable) This leads to increased heat possibly causing shorter life of the hardware.

2) computers over time as a whole tend to get slower for many many reasons (such as software bloat which you see with updates) in combination with less powerful hardware makes the effects amplified.

3) Desktops rarely get moved around or if they do, its not much overall. A laptop can be expected to be thrown around in a backpack, be dropped, etc. Over time this can loosen hardware connections or even break hardware to the point it can fail to respond or respond slower.

4) Build quality, Desktops even cheaper ones tend to last longer then their equivalent (or even higher end) laptops, because laptops "need to be light" which often mean less durable parts and plastics. When mixed with number 3 you can see why laptops tend to break sooner.

5) number of integrated parts, at the base level a desktop contains:
a) Storage (HDD or SSD)
b) Motherboard
c)CPU + fan cooler
d)RAM
Now you can add things to a desktop such as a graphics card, sound card or more fans, etc but many motherboards include onboard support for interrogated graphics and/or sound. (this is a base generic non specialized build)

A laptop will have
a) Storage (HDD or SSD)
b)Motherboard
c)CPU
d)RAM
e)display
f)keyboard
g)touch pad

Just due to just the nature of "mo' money mo' problems" (i.e. more parts means greater risk of a part failing), there is a greater chance of the laptop having some sort of hardware failure.

If a keyboard, mouse, or monitor fails on a desktop it is no big deal you just go and buy another one and hook up the new one. Heck even if a critical piece of hardware fails on a desktop its often easy to replace that part.

If a keyboard, touchpad, screen, etc fails on a laptop you are at the mercy of your vendor as to how easy/cheap it will be. You can make the arguement, you can just plug in a keyboard, mouse, or an external screen, but now your laptop isn't portable.

Usually, I found that if I wait long enough I can get a high end laptop for pretty cheap. But I have to wait for labor day, thanksgiving, or black friday to find prices good enough for my cheap butt. XD

I've been thinking about getting a Samsung Google Chrome Book & turning it into a Windows pc, is that a good idea or a bad one??

(Aug 23rd, 2018, 09:18 PM)queenzelda Wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a Samsung Google Chrome Book & turning it into a Windows pc, is that a good idea or a bad one??

That is not a good idea, Chromebooks go either of two ways:
1) Cheap disposable tech that really only works for ChromeOS as its so lightweight.
2) Over priced tech that will never unleash anywhere near its full potential because of how limiting chromeOS is, at these prices you are better off getting an actual laptop.

I would say if you really want to get a chromebook just get a cheap throw away chromebook to use for web browsing/netflix leaving it with chrome OS. To hold you though.
If you want you can give me what you are looking for and a budget and I might be able to help :p

I got a budget of $200. I can't get it now, I'm still saving up atmo. I've only got $160 atmo. I usually save through to Christmas so that way when I get cash from fam I can spend it towards something I need, like a new laptop. Cause 9 yrs is too old, apparently. Tongue

So, what would be good to get kemosabi??

Uuuhhhh silver bullets?

also 200 dollars that will be a interesting....

Pulease, I've gotten all of my laptops under that amount, it's very easy thing to accomplish. For me anyway, but I'm savvy. ;3 Also, haha.. Tongue I was calling you kemosabi mr man. XD

Do you think you could ever get into any SIM type of game?

Ooohhh.

As far as what I would get, it depends on needs:
i5 or i7 CPU (avoid ones ended in U as those are duel core/multi threaded, a true quad core will deliver more power).
8 gigs of RAM minimum (more the better)
SSD > HDD > Nothing > eMMC (eMMC is "cheap" memory used on many chromebooks and often small in size maxing out from what I see around 32 or 64 gigs and the small size is for me a concern for a actual laptop).
Depending on games you play you might want a 1050Ti or above. (again this is something we would ened to talk about)
1920x1080 minimum resolution its absurd that 1366x786 is still a common laptop res.

Ignoring the GPU you might be able to get a refurbished Dell Precision (dell's business workstation laptop) with a bit older hardware for around that price. Professional Workstation grade tends to be higher in quality then consumer grade.

As far as Sim games I got really in to them as a kid, Sim City, and the like. I end up depressing my self with The Sims because I start to realize "wait...this bunch of pixels has a better life then me" Tongue

As far as actual simulation games depending on the subject and such yes.