Universal Gaming
Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Game creator Content ID'd on his own game (/showthread.php?tid=544)

Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - Maniakkid25 - Dec 6th, 2019

Let's be honest, who's even surprised at this point?

YouTube's problems with Copyright law are long and storied, going back at least a decade. From Creationists flagging debunk videos, to Myles Power's fight against AIDS Denialists (yes, that's a thing), to the many, many, many, many, MANY times a creator couldn't handle someone criticizing them. OH, and that one time that a composer went on a RAMPAGE of DMCA's in order to try and get those channel owners to rage at the developer of a game they had worked on because something snapped inside their brain. But the difference is, those are all DMCA takedowns, which rip the video off of Youtube for at least 14 days (sometimes longer, depending on when the channel owner reacts). This time, it was Content ID that was the problem.

For those that don't know, Content ID is a system on YouTube that, instead of ripping a video down on copyright grounds, allows you to say "hey, that video uses my work, therefore I OWN THE VIDEO!", and can then claim all the ad revenue on it (if they decide to monetize it at all). And of course, that has its share of abusers; just ask Nintendo. I mean, when you have a FREAKING WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE on your own stupidity, and a youtuber manages to game the system by LITERALLY INFRINGING ON MORE COPYRIGHT, maybe the system is a little bit haywire?

Well, now we can add this to the dumpster fire. So, American McGee, creator of games like American McGee's Alice, was playing Alice: Madness Returns on his own YouTube channel. And then, because Content ID is largely automated, someone with a stray bit of code managed to Content ID claim the video. Of his own game. That he made. And this was by a company that SPECIFICALLY SPECIALIZES in Content ID claims for other companies. WHAT A TRAIN WRECK THIS IS! Who is even surprised that this happened? Because I'm not; not anymore.

RE: Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - King Atem - Dec 6th, 2019

[Image: sketch21.png]

RE: Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - Mr EliteL - Dec 6th, 2019

Moved thread as it is about something that happened and not strictly on Alice: Madness Returns.

I don't have much to add. With the issues that happened before I'm also not surprised. At least Illustrated Sound knows something's gone wrong and are trying to fix the false claims, and not a company who are out to catch anyone for literally anything.

RE: Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - Maniakkid25 - Dec 6th, 2019

Sorry about that; wasn't sure where to put it, so I obviously put it in the wrong place.

Yeah, at least the company who did it is straight up taking fault, which is a rare thing to see out of a company, and especially a tech company

RE: Game creator Content ID'd on his own game - Moonface - Dec 7th, 2019

I'm not shocked. It's YouTube, they don't have a great track record these days for doing things right the first time. I wonder if YouTube would do anything about it though if the company who accidentally caused this wasn't stepping up and taking responsibility to get it resolved.