Universal Gaming
[BREAKING] News Thread - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: [BREAKING] News Thread (/showthread.php?tid=662)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Moonface - Aug 27th, 2023

If Russia didn't have any involvement in that crash I'll be surprised. Usually if someone who opposed Putin in or near Russia ends up dead it's because he had a hand in it. Errm

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Maniakkid25 - Aug 27th, 2023

Oh, you aren't the only one thinking that; pretty much EVERYONE knew Prigozhin put a big ol' target on his back by pulling the Wagner rebellion. Really, what's shocking is it took this long for him to get whacked. But it gets better, because a lot of high brass for Wagner was on that plane. Dmitry Utkin, who was the no. 2 and where Wagner got it's name (and just to give you an idea of the people we are dealing with, Utkin supposedly made Wagner his callsign because it was one of Hitler's favorite classical composers), and Valery Chekalov, who was head of logistics, were also reportedly on the plane. So, yeah, not only was this an obvious retribution, it was also a high-value kill because it's probably going to put Wagner Group into chaos as they try to figure out just what the hell they are going to do.

It makes me wonder why they bothered to pull back in the first place. They must have known there was going to be retaliation so why not just go all the way? Are they stupid? Tongue

Honestly, at this point, we'll probably never know what the true terms of the deal were to get Wagner to back down. I mean, Prigozhin was supposed to go to exile in Belarus under it, but it didn't stop him from showing up in St. Petersburg a month later at a very public meeting of foreign dignitaries. Like, it's actually impressive at this point that he was able to survive as long as he did.

Oh there was a deal being discussed or pitched to them that made them turn around? I thought they had just decided within themselves to turn around at the time and had maybe used the progress they made as leverage in anything that came after. Unsure

Oh, you didn't hear about that? Yeah, supposedly Lukashenko, the president of Belarus (and suspected croney of Putin), managed to negotiate an agreement to get Wagner to turn around. This was like, literally at the last minute, when the column was maybe 100 km out of Moscow. While the true terms of the deal will probably never be revealed, what was reported was that Prigozhin would exile himself to Belarus, and no one in Wagner would face charges. Why Prigozhin then decided to try and tempt fate, only he knows, and he took that secret with him to the grave.

Ah, no I had no clue about any of that. I had wondered at the time why they turned around when they got so close to Moscow but never looked into it nor saw anything mentioned further about it and just thought it was a power demonstration. Sweat
I wonder if going to Belarus would have actually changed his ultimate fate though. I'm sure someone would still get to him or if his plane was shot down that would have still happened no matter where he was living, and if Putin really wanted his hands on him he could probably demand Belarus extradite him or something if they want to remain in his good graces.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Moonface - Sep 5th, 2023

BBC: China's Great Wall damaged by workers looking for shortcut

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can really be. I don't understand how someone can expect this to be an idea that won't come with incredibly huge consequences, especially with seeing what they specifically bulldozed:

BBC Wrote:
The best-preserved parts were built during the Ming Dynasty between the 14th and 17th centuries. It is one of these that now has a huge new hole blasted through it.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Maniakkid25 - Sep 5th, 2023

Ah, humanity. Always willing to destroy long term projects for short term gains. Just another bunch of idiots who thought their s*** didn't stink, and it's just SO HARD having to drive all the way around, it would be so much easier if this stupid wall wasn't in the way!

Guaranteed this ends up on WTF Is Wrong With You. This is a goldmine for that specific show.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Moonface - Sep 5th, 2023

Well the article claims farmers and such keep stealing bricks and stuff from the wall too so give it another decade or two of that and maybe there won't be any wall left. Tongue Errm

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Dragon Lord - Sep 6th, 2023

Well, those people will never be seeing the light of day again. RIP.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Moonface - Sep 6th, 2023

(Sep 6th, 2023, 02:40 PM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Well, those people will never be seeing the light of day again. RIP.
I did wonder if the death penalty could be a possibility for this too, but I can't recall if China tends to go for that punishment or not. Unsure

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Dragon Lord - Sep 6th, 2023

If they do get put to death, we'll never hear about it. They'll just join the endless list of people in China who disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Maybe they'll get lucky and they'll only get sent to a work camp for life instead of being executed, but we all know how the CCP works.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Moonface - Sep 6th, 2023

True, I forgot to consider the whole CCP thing because it's been a while since I've even seen the term. I expect something would still come out though given a lot of people in China have taken notice of this and would want to know what happens to them as punishment, and just vanishing the pair prevents that as well as deterring anyone else if this story just disappears through lack of updates.

RE: [BREAKING] News Thread - Mr EliteL - Sep 7th, 2023

Just shows how much people could careless about historical places and such. This and the farmers stealing. "Ah, someone's already taken some, what harm would it do if I take some as well?" Showing other people you don't have respect so then they may as well blast a gaping hole out of the wall too! Just for shortcut. Yay. Honestly thought the two were going to be younger but hey, everyone's young compared to when the wall was bulit/maintained. *sigh*