Universal Gaming
Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Gaming Galaxy (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life (/showthread.php?tid=717)

Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Moonface - Jul 2nd, 2020

Partly inspired by the thread "What would happen if you changed the color of one thing?", what would happen in real life if a mechanic in a video game was applied to it? Perhaps everyone in a household has to sleep in a bed at the same time like in Minecraft? Maybe you have to view the world from a fixed camera angle like in Resident Evil? Or you could lose the cops by hiding in a tunnel for a minute until they completely forget you exist like it's GTA?

I could see a lot of crazy shit being done around the world if everyone could climb anything like Link does in Breath of the Wild and then just use a paraglider when they fall to slow their descent. Just don't run out of stamina though otherwise you're probably dead unless you have a fairy on you. Tongue

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Karo - Jul 2nd, 2020

Oh but Moony we already have a game mechanic applied to real life! Have you heard about the lootboxes! Grin They are a fun great SuRpRiSe MeChanic that is fun for the whole family! Heck they are everywhere even! Grin

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Moonface - Jul 2nd, 2020

(Jul 2nd, 2020, 06:34 PM)Yuri Wrote:
Oh but Moony we already have a game mechanic applied to real life! Have you heard about the lootboxes! Grin They are a fun great SuRpRiSe MeChanic that is fun for the whole family! Heck they are everywhere even! Grin
I'd say that was a real life mechanic applied to games, considering that kids toys have done the loot box approach since the 90's at least.

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Karo - Jul 2nd, 2020

I guess that true, but I saw that title and just had to comment about it. Respawning would be an interesting mechanic to apply to real life if you died before your time you would automatically come back, but I do wonder if it would make life a bit cheapened and what if someone just thought they would respawn, but this was their actual death? Hmm

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Moonface - Jul 2nd, 2020

(Jul 2nd, 2020, 07:18 PM)Yuri Wrote:
I guess that true, but I saw that title and just had to comment about it. Respawning would be an interesting mechanic to apply to real life if you died before your time you would automatically come back, but I do wonder if it would make life a bit cheapened and what if someone just thought they would respawn, but this was their actual death? Hmm
I thought about respawns, but it would either be limited with lives or unlimited. Doing it with lives would be like the movie In Time, although that is with time limits rather than respawns but it would be a similar concept. It would probably turn into a case of people trying to trade for more respawns or even finding a way to force people to give it up. I could see a slave trade going where people are captured for their life counters or even born just to be sold to a rich prick. The abuse wouldn't be so much with being able to respawn but what lengths people would go to increase that number.

Although even if your number didn't actually run out, you would eventually die from old age and then your respawns would be useless because if you came back at the same age you're not really in a good shape. I wouldn't want to keep respawning at the age of 90+ just waiting to run out of lives so I can actually die. Although I guess you could give your lives away if it was allowed. It has a lot of interesting branches to it.

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Kyng - Jul 19th, 2020

How about invisible walls? We could make good use of them right now to enforce social distancing.

(Although, would social distancing even be necessary if we had invisible walls all over the place? I'm guessing the virus couldn't get through them...)

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - ShiraNoMai - Jul 20th, 2020

In that case, install a bunch of one-ways down grocery aisles that force people to go down it in one direction  XD

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Mr EliteL - Jul 20th, 2020

Yes, yes, invisible walls would be so good in life now. ROFL In shops and such workers get to be set in god mode too as they fly around to do what they're meant to do easier so things can get done quicker. OK, god mode would generally be good for everyone really, but I was just envisioning how it would look down an aisle. Putting stock out then a customer asks for something you have out back you can get it within like two seconds as you whizz through physical walls and back, or just immediately avoid them. XD

RE: Apply a Game Mechanic to Real Life - Moonface - Jul 20th, 2020

God mode would be a terrible idea! You could just give yourself infinite money and shit and just break everything. Super speed like Sonic would be better to get stuff done quick without breaking the world. Although even that could be abused in some cases but not as badly as God mode.