Universal Gaming
Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Printable Version

+- Universal Gaming (https://universalgaming.net)
+-- Forum: Universal Community (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://universalgaming.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Current/Last Thing You Watched? (/showthread.php?tid=74)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Moonface - Nov 3rd, 2023

Hereditary
Watched this movie on Halloween night because you just have to watch something spooky for Halloween right? Tongue
Really cool movie with a lot of psychological and atmospheric stuff going on, that I expect can be appreciated a lot more on a second watch when you know what things to look out for in the background of scenes that I didn't really think anything of when I was watching this movie. It definitely leaves you with a lot to analyze and think about when it's all said and done.

Other than that, been watching a lot of stuff on YouTube today and yesterday. Most of it has been "Was It Good?" videos on retro games I've played, which were actually full of some really interesting things I didn't know. The best one was learning of the adrenaline system in Nightmare Creatures, and seeing a developer in the comments explain why it was added in the first place which is knowledge I don't think anyone would have learned if that video wasn't made to encourage that developer to share that information in the first place.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Maniakkid25 - Nov 20th, 2023

Hardcore Henry (Well, at least the first 60 minutes of it)

This movie has been, as anticipated, a wild f***ing ride! Shootouts, chase scenes, psychic powers, a running gag where one character keeps dying over and over. It has been a crazy run. My only complaint is that, despite those 60 minutes, not a lot of actual plot happens. It's mostly just the action scenes, but if you're watching a movie called "Hardcore Henry", are you really here for the plot?

Also, learned a potentially dubious fact that I haven't fact checked, but it was amusing. In Russia, nearly 100 thousand baseball bats are bought, but only about 50 baseballs. I have my doubts that it's true, but it was highly amusing.

*actually checks after writing it* Oh, it is wrong: it's closer to 500k bats, and an absurdly low number of baseballs! That makes it even funnier!

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Moonface - Nov 21st, 2023

Wait, they bought 500k baseball bats for that movie @Maniakkid25? Even 100k feels excessive and so I'm wondering what would anyone need that many bats for. Blink

Been watching a few different things lately:

Cutthroat Kitchen
Been binging this since it was getting delisted from Hulu for whatever reason. One of the rare cooking competition style shows I actually find interesting.

Twitch (Various Streamers)
A new Mario romhack was released weekend called Grand Poo World 3, which was such an anticipated release it caused SMWCentral to crash for like an hour from the amount of traffic the site was getting as people tried to download the hack. Naturally a ton of people are playing it on Twitch and so the majority of what I've watched this weekend on there (and right now) has been of that.

Also watched this new challenge video about trying to beat Spyro: A Hero's Tail without gliding:

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Maniakkid25 - Nov 21st, 2023

(Nov 21st, 2023, 12:29 AM)Moonface Wrote:
Wait, they bought 500k baseball bats for that movie @Maniakkid25? Even 100k feels excessive and so I'm wondering what would anyone need that many bats for. Blink

No no, the movie quotes the statistic that ALL OF RUSSIA buys 500k bats. Not for this movie alone. The movie had a budget of 2 mil; that is not enough money for 500k bats.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Moonface - Nov 21st, 2023

Oh, I thought the movie had a moment where the characters go to Russia and just place an order for 100k+ baseball bats and then receive them at some point later in the movie for some silly set piece. XD
Does it ever say why they get them? I'm also impressed it's only 500k when Russia has a population of 140+ million people. 500k bats across that whole population is rather low if the quote that all of Russia buys those bats means people across the whole country are buying them.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Maniakkid25 - Nov 21st, 2023

The point isn't the number of bats; the point is the number of bats compared to baseballs. If they are buying so many bats and so few baseballs, then it really illuminates what they are using the bats for, doesn't it?

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Kyng - Nov 25th, 2023

Squid Game: The Challenge

Honestly, watching this takes me right back to late 2021 (with the exception that I'm not burned out on forumming like I was back then Tongue ). The games, uniforms, and environments have all been recreated very nicely - and there are some new twists to keep things spicy.

Admittedly, there's not as strong a narrative (because it's a game show, not a drama) - but, it does still have its 'heroes' and 'villains'!

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Moonface - Nov 25th, 2023

(Nov 21st, 2023, 07:53 PM)Maniakkid25 Wrote:
The point isn't the number of bats; the point is the number of bats compared to baseballs. If they are buying so many bats and so few baseballs, then it really illuminates what they are using the bats for, doesn't it?
You know, fair point and a pretty obvious answer that doesn't need to be explained by the movie that I didn't consider before. Sweat

(Nov 25th, 2023, 01:54 AM)Kyng Wrote:

Honestly, watching this takes me right back to late 2021 (with the exception that I'm not burned out on forumming like I was back then Tongue ). The games, uniforms, and environments have all been recreated very nicely - and there are some new twists to keep things spicy.

Admittedly, there's not as strong a narrative (because it's a game show, not a drama) - but, it does still have its 'heroes' and 'villains'!
I saw an ad for this the other day and just wrote it off at the time as yet another example of the West having to remake something that was a hit from a foreign studio but seeing you say it's a game show made me look it up to see it wasn't what I thought it would be. Not sure if I'll ever watch it (haven't even seen Squid Game) but at least this is an actually interesting adaptation rather than a needless remake.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I have no idea how I'd never seen this movie before last night (including any other Monty Python stuff) since this is completely up my alley and after watching it would be something I'd expect my parents to love and have tried to watch with me at some point in my life. It's funny how this movie was made in the 70s and yet has dialogue that's relevant to today's issues. LOL

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Mr EliteL - Nov 27th, 2023

Tropic Thunder

I honestly completely forgot this movie's plot, then realised I remembered Tom Cruise's character but still I just couldn't remember anything else. No wonder, it was just such a bad movie, but I only had in the background so it was whatever, wasn't focused on it.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Moonface - Nov 28th, 2023

I wasn't sure how entertaining I was going to find this since I've never really cared for the GPW2 compilation but it was nice to get to enjoy this one. It does make me wonder why I can't really get into the GPW2 one at all though. Unsure

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - ShiraNoMai - Nov 30th, 2023

I mean, probably a case of, you were there for a lot of the creation of GPW3 being made, and were part of the release celebration, so you're quite a bit more invested in this compared to GPW2, of which you were not there for.
Although I do think you can appreciate the GPW2 clip comp in retrospect, now knowing most of the community being shown and such. LOL

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Kyng - Dec 2nd, 2023

(Nov 25th, 2023, 10:51 PM)Moonface Wrote:
(Nov 25th, 2023, 01:54 AM)Kyng Wrote:

I saw an ad for this the other day and just wrote it off at the time as yet another example of the West having to remake something that was a hit from a foreign studio but seeing you say it's a game show made me look it up to see it wasn't what I thought it would be. Not sure if I'll ever watch it (haven't even seen Squid Game) but at least this is an actually interesting adaptation rather than a needless remake.

Yeah, while it's aesthetically very similar, and features (non-lethal) versions of many of the same games, the premise is quite different - and it's also psychologically brutal in how it pits the players against each other. Not sure how enjoyable it'd be for someone who hasn't seen the original show, though. 

Anyway, the last thing I watched was Have I Got News For You?.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Maniakkid25 - Dec 3rd, 2023

The $21 Billion Hole in Texas

I've watched the three separate parts of this before; this is the supercut. It is the story of the prolonged, protracted, and seemingly-inevitable death of the dream of the great American particle accelerator: the Superconducting Super Collider. This is a story that has no happy endings, but there are some legitimately good people involved that are just buried by Washington. But my favorite character is Admiral James Watkins. This is a man that, every time he's appointed somewhere, he's supremely unqualified for the job, but does his absolute damnedest to do a good job. He first appears as the head of the AIDS commission during Reagan's administration, and he legitimately tries to propose a solution that will lead to, you know, less people dying, only to be slapped down by Reagan himself. This is a man that gives you hope for the entire time he appears, because this is a man that always did his job, no matter what it was. He passed away in 2012, and may he rest in peace.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Mr EliteL - Dec 3rd, 2023

Some S2 House episodes and S2 Invincible up to episode 4, and didn't realise the second half of the season wasn't going to be aired this Friday in the usual schedule but in 2024, I assume sometime in Q1 but fook, really? Ah whatever.

RE: Current/Last Thing You Watched? - Kyng - Dec 5th, 2023

The film 'Wish', which my girlfriend and I saw in the cinema yesterday.

I know it hasn't been getting the best reviews from critics, but I personally enjoyed it - and it had some nice little nods to older Disney classics!