I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371
Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I don't think I have caught covid yet, but my brother officially has its. Honestly I think what really doomed us from being able to beat it back was the whole the economy thing. If the people in power aren't making money they are going to sacrifice anything just to get that money rolling again. If we were dealing with the emergence of the black plague today I honestly think we'd be fucked there would be pushes to open up the economy again and if people die? At least we made a lot of money for those poor investors and the wealthy.

Now of course due to how our world works even if you do shut down there are still people keeping things moving supporting our large societies require large amounts of foods so in truth you could never stop the economy fully, but I honestly do think we could of kept it scaled back until the last infection was killed. Errm
[Image: 30-humptypunch3.gif]
Karo Offline
I like flashy things
Currently Playing
Dead By Daylight
Favourite Platform(s)
PC/Switch
Pronouns
She/Her
XP: 9,371 Phogs (Shiny) Summer Meltdown Sonic the Hedgehog (Shiny) 
I don't think I have caught covid yet, but my brother officially has its. Honestly I think what really doomed us from being able to beat it back was the whole the economy thing. If the people in power aren't making money they are going to sacrifice anything just to get that money rolling again. If we were dealing with the emergence of the black plague today I honestly think we'd be fucked there would be pushes to open up the economy again and if people die? At least we made a lot of money for those poor investors and the wealthy.

Now of course due to how our world works even if you do shut down there are still people keeping things moving supporting our large societies require large amounts of foods so in truth you could never stop the economy fully, but I honestly do think we could of kept it scaled back until the last infection was killed. Errm
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
PlayStation | Nintendo | PC
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667
Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
The bubonic plague is actually still a thing, but I don't think it has the fatality it did because of advances in medicine and such.

The main thing is that regardless of the disease, it's going to always just be like climate change. Some countries might take better steps to mitigate the effects but if others don't do the same then it really doesn't matter in the big picture. There is nothing any country could've done to change the way COVID now exists in the world; the best any country could've done is taken steps to lessen the impact and lower the death count, but that also relies on everyone wanting to play along. Australia was doing a good job and had COVID practically gone and then all it took was two people from the UK to visit it and lie they were clear when they knew they were infected and the whole country got thrown into disarray again.
[Image: hbCSi7H.gif]

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered (PS5) | Stardew Valley (PC) | The Binding of Isaac: Repentance (PC)
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
XP: 26,667 Kirby (Shiny) Mario Kart (Shiny) Spyro The Dragon 
The bubonic plague is actually still a thing, but I don't think it has the fatality it did because of advances in medicine and such.

The main thing is that regardless of the disease, it's going to always just be like climate change. Some countries might take better steps to mitigate the effects but if others don't do the same then it really doesn't matter in the big picture. There is nothing any country could've done to change the way COVID now exists in the world; the best any country could've done is taken steps to lessen the impact and lower the death count, but that also relies on everyone wanting to play along. Australia was doing a good job and had COVID practically gone and then all it took was two people from the UK to visit it and lie they were clear when they knew they were infected and the whole country got thrown into disarray again.
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732
Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Nope, they don't pay for time off from COVID anymore, but at this point I'd rather take the days off than the money (though that's a topic for another day).

I don't think many places do pay for time off from COVID any more, because it seems most of them have come to the realization that COVID is just going to be a normal thing like the flu (who would have thought?).
2023 Platinum Goal: 2/50 (Copium)
Latest Platinum:  Tunic
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
[Image: DragonLord1389.png]
Dragon Lord Offline
LV.99 Weeb
Currently Playing
Sword of the Vagrant | Golden Sun | Genshin Impact | Honkai Star Rail | Arknights | Azur Lane | Aether Gazer
Favourite Platform(s)
PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, PC
XP: 10,732 Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) Hatsune Miku (Shiny) 
Nope, they don't pay for time off from COVID anymore, but at this point I'd rather take the days off than the money (though that's a topic for another day).

I don't think many places do pay for time off from COVID any more, because it seems most of them have come to the realization that COVID is just going to be a normal thing like the flu (who would have thought?).
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:29 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Either this or like my dad's work, apparently they stopped paying people who are off with COVID unless they present a positive test from an official test location, because a lot of people were abusing it by claiming to be out sick but the trouble is, the town my dad works in isn't exactly big so it wasn't long before workers would notice the person who is off sick healthily strolling about. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of people using it as an easy way to get sick pay off, especially if their job was putting COVID sick pay as separate from their regular sick pay time.

I, the Philosophical Sponge of Marbles, send you on a quest for the Golden Chewing Gum of the Whoop-A-Ding-Dong Desert under the sea!
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:29 AM)Dragon Lord Wrote:
Either this or like my dad's work, apparently they stopped paying people who are off with COVID unless they present a positive test from an official test location, because a lot of people were abusing it by claiming to be out sick but the trouble is, the town my dad works in isn't exactly big so it wasn't long before workers would notice the person who is off sick healthily strolling about. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of people using it as an easy way to get sick pay off, especially if their job was putting COVID sick pay as separate from their regular sick pay time.
Katie2022 Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,133
(Jul 21st, 2022, 09:02 PM)Karo Wrote:

New studies are showing that the lock downs didn't save as many lives as they thought that they would. Hopefully they never decide to go that route again since people are dying from other things because they couldn't get in for testing and treatment due to shut downs. I was waiting for surgery for 2 years and when it finally happened, it had to be much more invasive, I lost a lot of blood and my doctors were worried about me. I got through it though, but wow, 2 years of waiting...what if I had cancer instead of a benign tumor?  Sad
Katie2022 Offline
Newcomer
XP: 2,133
(Jul 21st, 2022, 09:02 PM)Karo Wrote:

New studies are showing that the lock downs didn't save as many lives as they thought that they would. Hopefully they never decide to go that route again since people are dying from other things because they couldn't get in for testing and treatment due to shut downs. I was waiting for surgery for 2 years and when it finally happened, it had to be much more invasive, I lost a lot of blood and my doctors were worried about me. I got through it though, but wow, 2 years of waiting...what if I had cancer instead of a benign tumor?  Sad
Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Administrators
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2022, 11:53 PM)Katie2022 Wrote:
New studies are showing that the lock downs didn't save as many lives as they thought that they would.
Hard for it to ever be as effective as expected when so many people never followed along with it and other rules that were put in place. The only country I ever heard about handling the spread of the virus well was Australia, but eventually their progress stopped coming up on social media so I have no idea if it eventually fell apart or it's just been the same general thing going on and it stopped being of interest to people.

Between this and things like climate change though, it's clear that humanity as a whole will never come together on anything to help ourselves as a collective whole unless it's something so catastrophic in the present moment that we're all fucked anyway.

Moonface Online
Phoggies!
Currently Playing
Favourite Platform(s)
Pronouns
he/him
(Jul 28th, 2022, 11:53 PM)Katie2022 Wrote:
New studies are showing that the lock downs didn't save as many lives as they thought that they would.
Hard for it to ever be as effective as expected when so many people never followed along with it and other rules that were put in place. The only country I ever heard about handling the spread of the virus well was Australia, but eventually their progress stopped coming up on social media so I have no idea if it eventually fell apart or it's just been the same general thing going on and it stopped being of interest to people.

Between this and things like climate change though, it's clear that humanity as a whole will never come together on anything to help ourselves as a collective whole unless it's something so catastrophic in the present moment that we're all fucked anyway.